toldailytopic: Poor sportsmanship? Indiana girls basketball teams beats opponent 107

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for December 13th, 2012 10:42 AM

toldailytopic: Poor sportsmanship? Indiana girls basketball teams beats opponent 107 to 2

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Last edited:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I've coached in games like this with my sons hockey team. There are no good solutions here. If you play hard and trounce the other team they complain that you ran up the score. If you purposely try to NOT score they get mad at you for mocking them. If you tell your players to play "less hard" it can adversely affect your own team.

However, 107-2 seems to be over the top in my book. Couldn't the winning team play their lessor skilled players? And if they were already doing that, couldn't they have backed off just a little?

I wasn't there so I don't know the details all I know is that score seems a bit over the top.

PureX

I'd say, put in the secondary players and let them play their best. "Blow-outs" happen. Losing is a part of life. The coaches can use it as a teaching tool just like they do teamwork, or winning, or fair-play, or anything else.

Buzzword

I'd say, put in the secondary players and let them play their best. "Blow-outs" happen. Losing is a part of life. The coaches can use it as a teaching tool just like they do teamwork, or winning, or fair-play, or anything else.

This.

Let the winners win, let the losers learn.

bybee

You see! You are capable of a sensible response!:cheers:

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
When I was in high school and our basketball team was beating the other team by a large margin, the coach would go talk to the other coach about stopping the game. If the other coach didn't want to stop the game, we kept going. We (the Woodland Warriors) won several games by over 100 points the year I graduated.

fool

Hall of Fame
I wasn't there so I don't know the details all I know is that score seems a bit over the top.

That's just what the liberals want you to say so they can tax the 107 pointers.
They don't need all those points.
Just take some of those points and spread them around.
Give the other team some, hell, give everyone who showed up to watch the game some points.
Why should the people who made the points keep the points they made?

Not fair that they should have all those points when some people have none.

Nitro

toldailytopic: Poor sportsmanship? Indiana girls basketball teams beats opponent 107 to 2

What's the problem? Isn't this a game? Are they not all supposed to do their best? :confused:

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Both team coaches should tell their players to not pay attention to the scoreboard, and play their best at all times.

Quincy

Give the other team some, hell, give everyone who showed up to watch the game some points.

Points aren't welcome in America so the evil capitalists outsource them all to India!

genuineoriginal

Since it was basketballs going into hoops that made the Arlington team feel bad about themselves, someone should look into banning basketballs from basketball games.
:rolleyes:
(From the score, it looks like the Arlington coach had already banned basketballs from basketball practice before the game.)

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

:chuckle:

sky.

BANNED
Banned
I think that there should be a standard. It only means that the losing team needs more practice. That is what competition is about. Not "winning" but being prepared.