toldailytopic: Organized religion: what are the pros and cons?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
organized religion

gave us the bible

gave us a church to worship in

protects us from those who try to deceive us

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
What do you mean by this?

I am in hot water now for you is Episcopalian :eek:

Is that how you see the church orgainised in the bible?

Now I am one of those who believes that God's precious people are everywhere in the various denominations and in some very strange places besides.

Never the less...

I believe Christians must face up to a truth more in this generation than in any other time in history. If we want God to work among us in Holy Ghost power, in saving souls [and a whole lot more besides] we will have to learn that God has a way of doing things and man has another way.

The pattern for church is the bible, in Acts and in the Epistles the more you look at the NT and look at the church whatever denomination the more you understand how IMpossible it is for God to work how He wants to work or do all that He wants to do through them.

Do you see that young man lying in the shop doorway?, last night he was on the mother of all trips...he is in the mighty grip of the devil, only a Mightier arm can ever set him free...God can do it, but not through a nice service in most christian denominations.

bucksplasher

The only command was that we should fellowship. There is no command to let a committee dictate when, where, and how.

There is also a command to pray without ceasing; organized religion lulls people into setting aside one day a week to do so and then ignore it the other six, except for maybe a couple hours on Wednesday.

Actually as a "Church" even a local one, we can have 24 hour adoration before the Blessed Sacrament. Seems to bring joy, peace and love. tWINs

Cruciform

Why are there so many who are not thanking God for this teaching Church's atrocities across those two millennia?
The personal sins of certain individual Christians throughout the ages hardly negates the authority of the historic Church that Jesus Christ himself founded to guide and teach the faithful (Mt. 16:18-19; 1 Tim. 3:15).

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Last edited:

john w

Hall of Fame
The Roman Catholic Organization, in contrast to justified members of the church, which is his body: great Friday fish fryes.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
It would appear to me from the Jerusalem body as shown in Acts [and considering the great dispute which they managed to resolve] and Paul's writings to the Corinthians body which was a pattern of the Jerusalem, at least in the functioning thereof, that unity of speech was considered important by the apostolitoes...what hope is there for that today?

Buzzword

It would appear to me from the Jerusalem body as shown in Acts [and considering the great dispute which they managed to resolve] and Paul's writings to the Corinthians body which was a pattern of the Jerusalem, at least in the functioning thereof, that unity of speech was considered important by the apostolitoes...what hope is there for that today?

There's a difference between unity of speech (or action) and unity of thought.

"Though we cannot think alike, may we not love alike? May we not be of one heart, though we are not of one opinion? Without all doubt, we may. Herein all the children of God may unite, notwithstanding these smaller differences."
-John Wesley

The primary impediment to unity of action is the deification of opinion and the prioritization of the superfluous or insignificant.