toldailytopic: Open rebuke is better Than love carefully concealed. - Proverbs 27:5.

zippy2006

It is a comparison between love and rebuke. Question: When is a rebuke better than love? Always? Sometimes? Never?

I think you're a bit off there Lon. As was noted earlier, love and rebuke are not mutually exclusive, a Godly rebuke is love not being carefully concealed: bold love. Just ask the Axis: Mt 16:23 :)

In the spirit of Trad: :chuckle:

Bold as Love

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
yes it does
and
once again we see them using the Old Testament to trump the new one

he who is without sin cast the first stone
love your neighbor
love your enemies

you can stand up for what is right
but
you shouldn't make it personal
Christ makes us without sin.
Rebuke is to be done in love else it is just a clanging cymbal.

But what if the true meaning is not to judge. Period. No matter whether or not one is guilty of the sin one rebukes. In rebuking, are we not, at the very least, guilty of pridefulness?
No thank you, ma'am. I would rather be guilty of too much kindness. :)
We know that's not the meaning because He said that wasn't the meaning.

John 7:24

bybee

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for September 2nd, 2011 09:24 AM

toldailytopic: Open rebuke is better Than love carefully concealed. - Proverbs 27:5. What does that mean to you?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Within my family love is my primary motivator. BUT! They know that I will point out what appear to be lapses in word or deed. Mostly a well timed and carefully crafted question will get a good result. Sometimes one must bluntly challenge a word or deed because trouble looms if it is continued.
In my church I ask questions during meetings, but mostly I am involved in Bible study, choir or outreach. I have not witnessed anything so far that required challenging.
Here on TOL I have come to know some people quite well through cyberspace. In fact, the sharing here has been richly rewarding for me. I have questioned, challenged, flat out disagreed as well as apologized, learned and thanked people on this web site.
For those persons whose posts are far out on the fringes of my credulity I try to get a sense of their motivation and goal in making their assertions. Then, as the case may be, I either use a careful approach to see if there is room for growth (on my part also) or I let 'em have it!
When I am rebuked, no matter what, I do pay attention. Sometimes, a rebuke has been in order and I have had to rethink my words and beliefs. It is easier to examine my own behavior when a rebuke is given gently.
Sooooo, I figure most people aren't so different from me. If I can continue to learn and stay open to good instruction, others who regularly post here probably have a like mind set.
I have noticed though, that noobies who come on here with outrageous statements are soon taken to task by a cadre of old-timers. The goal being to set them on the straight and narrow right quick!
Some of them stay and grow. Others leave in a huff.
I don't like to argue with those person's on here that I have come to regard as friends. Of course, I have, I do and likely shall continue to do because you all are worth it to me. And in the process I always learn something of value to me.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I don't like to argue with those person's on here that I have come to regard as friends. Of course, I have, I do and likely shall continue to do because you all are worth it to me. And in the process I always learn something of value to me.

that's what friends are for

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Mostly a well timed and carefully crafted question will get a good result. Sometimes one must bluntly challenge a word or deed because trouble looms if it is continued.I

Love and truth should be a motivator when posting on here. The prime motivator should be Love of Jesus. There has been a tendency for people to artlessly name call without proper foundation or to even twist what someone says for the purpose of calling them a name that doesn't apply. This practice brings discredit on Christians. You can't fight a lie with another lie. To fight lies, one must use the truth.