toldailytopic: Open rebuke is better Than love carefully concealed. - Proverbs 27:5.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for September 2nd, 2011 09:24 AM

toldailytopic: Open rebuke is better Than love carefully concealed. - Proverbs 27:5. What does that mean to you?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I don't think it means that concealed love is bad, just that public lashing against perverts is better. If open rebuke is bad, then Jesus and his chosen vessel Paul is bad.

genuineoriginal

If you claim to love your neighbor but conceal your love by refusing to rebuke your neighbor for sin, thereby allowing your neighbor to remain in sin because of your inaction, then the Bible defines that as hating your brother.

Leviticus 19:17-18
17Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thine heart: thou shalt in any wise rebuke thy neighbour, and not suffer sin upon him.
18Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I am the LORD.​

zippy2006

If you claim to love your neighbor but conceal your love by refusing to rebuke your neighbor for sin, thereby allowing your neighbor to remain in sin because of your inaction, then the Bible defines that as hating your brother.

17Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thine heart: thou shalt in any wise rebuke thy neighbour, and not suffer sin upon him.
18Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I am the LORD.​

This. :thumb: The rebuke must be made in love, which is a truth a number of our posters apparently miss.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I think it means that we should rebuke our sinning neighbor even at the expense of not appearing "loving". Some folks mistakenly think that being friendly is more loving than being truthful. The Bible teaches that true love is not always pleasant.

Those who are sinning rebuke in the presence of all, that the rest also may fear. - 1 Timothy 5:20

griffinsavard

Tts 1:13 This witness is true. Wherefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith;
Tts 1:14 Not giving heed to Jewish fables, and commandments of men, that turn from the truth.

We need real men of God standing up and rebuking those in authority who have taken advantage of God's people. The Pastors and the Leaders need to be kept in check by honest rebukes and so do the people......why is there so much fear? Because there is too much sin being hid, that's why!

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I think it means that we should rebuke our sinning neighbor even at the expense of not appearing "loving". Some folks mistakenly think that being friendly is more loving than being truthful. The Bible teaches that true love is not always pleasant.

Those who are sinning rebuke in the presence of all, that the rest also may fear. - 1 Timothy 5:20

:thumb:

I try to be polite in my posts, but there comes a time when I have to rebuke the sinner openly. Being polite at the cost of truth is just plain lying and that is not something a Christian should do. The Christians on this site have been called all kinds of nasty things for openly rebuking the enemies of God.

The most loving thing you can do for someone lost is to tell them the truth, even if that truth hurts. It is up to that person to respond to the truth.

There is proof even on this board that speaking the truth does bear fruit. Take a look at this thread. With good reason it is preserved in the Archive. The action really starts on page 4.

Read post 47 on page 4. The truth is spoken here by Knight. Is not veiled nor does he dance around the issue. Reading through this thread would be worth your while. Post # 55 brings home the truth. Knight does not mince about words. The anti theists and some others on this site would think this would drive the homosexual from God. Wrong!

Lets go to page 11 in the thread. post # 154, # 156 # 163

And the clincher page 13, post # 195.

My eyes never fail to mist over as I read the change in this man. Mincing about words and hiding the truth for the sake of politeness never changed anyone for good. The Word of God is sharper than any two edged sword. This example that I posted shows its judicious use.

Breathe

My problem with the concept of rebuking is this: it seems to me that one must be sure they are above rebuke themselves, before they call out others. I'm just not sure that I am of such unblemished character that I am qualified to correct the behavior of others. While I am not a bad person, I'm certainly not perfect in every way.

Does that make sense?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
My problem with the concept of rebuking is this: it seems to me that one must be sure they are above rebuke themselves, before they call out others. I'm just not sure that I am of such unblemished character that I am qualified to correct the behavior of others. While I am not a bad person, I'm certainly not perfect in every way.

Does that make sense?

yes it does
and
once again we see them using the Old Testament to trump the new one

he who is without sin cast the first stone
love your neighbor
love your enemies

you can stand up for what is right
but
you shouldn't make it personal

zippy2006

Does that make sense?

yes it does
and

love your neighbor
love your enemies

but

But who is without sin? :noid:

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Does that make sense?

Absolutely. This falls in line with what Christ had to say about judging which was not to do it hypocritically. If my neighbor is a thief, I have no right to rebuke him if I myself am guilty of stealing. But if I'm not guilty of this, the loving thing to do would be to rebuke him for what he's doing. :)

Breathe

Absolutely. This falls in line with what Christ had to say about judging which was not to do it hypocritically. If my neighbor is a thief, I have no right to rebuke him if I myself am guilty of stealing. But if I'm not guilty of this, the loving thing to do would be to rebuke him for what he's doing. :)
But what if the true meaning is not to judge. Period. No matter whether or not one is guilty of the sin one rebukes. In rebuking, are we not, at the very least, guilty of pridefulness?
No thank you, ma'am. I would rather be guilty of too much kindness. :)

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

toldailytopic:
Open rebuke is better Than love carefully concealed. - Proverbs 27:5.
What does that mean to you?

Does that make sense?

1-2-3 very solid "What do they mean to you" answers.

Open rebuke without love, even if it appears to loveless, is worthless.

Our hearts must right with the Lord concerning rebuking another, and in doing so we can even get a self examination of ourselves, so such rebuke must be done with a humble heart, in the spirit of gentleness, still in a stern enough to make the point and see heart change.

Yes, if I'm guilty of the same, then no, I should repent and then take care the matter with my fellow Christian brother/sister.

It reminds me of Galatains 6:1 and Ephesians 4:32 (Matthew 18:15)

Anyway that is my thought.

Son of Jack

This. :thumb: The rebuke must be made in love, which is a truth a number of our posters apparently miss.

All of this seems to hit the mark to me. I tend to think in terms of how I relate to my children. Usually, when they are doing something wrong or inappropriate, I tell them to stop. If they continue, I tell them more forcefully and warn them that if they continue, they will receive whatever punishment is necessary to correct the problem (up to and including spanking). If that doesn't work, then I spank (or do whatever is necessary. I do it all because I love them, and I don't want them to act in a foolish or sinful way. Moreover, if they are doing something so foolish that it might harm them or someone else, then we move directly to step three. I try to do the same here and at the school I teach at, though I don't spank teenagers (that could be awkward:chuckle:).

Son of Jack

yes it does
and

love your neighbor
love your enemies

but

And yet you called another poster here a poison today.:confused: That sounds pretty personal to me.

zippy2006

That's the whole point. :thumb:

It that's your takeaway then you've completely ignored Proverbs 27:5... We are called to rebuke even if there are splinters in our eye; a "rebuke" with a beam in one's eye is no rebuke at all, but rather hypocrisy.

logical1

i totally agree...

you will be persecuted for that, but Jesus told us to expect that.

i know someone who is always quoting St Francis about how to "preach the Gospel, and when necessary, use words" i feel thisperson uses this as an excuse to not ruffle anyone's feathers... For exmple, there are people in the Church who think abortion is OK (nt for THEM, ofcourse....) This person never rebukes such people (tht i haveobserved)

this person forgets that St Francis did not say tht words are never necessary. He was just trying to make the point that our lives should speak volumes aboiut waht we believe... If our lives are devoid of ever rebuking those in error... well, tht says volumes... without uttering a word

Lon

Open rebuke is better Than love carefully concealed. - Proverbs 27:5. What does that mean to you?

It is a comparison between love and rebuke. Question: When is a rebuke better than love? Always? Sometimes? Never?

Proverbs are a Hebrew type of poetry called 'couplets.' A premise is given and then a comparison to it is stated. Scriptures says: what is expressed is better than what is hidden. So, a rebuke (correction) that is done openly is better than concealing love. I could have used that advice in my teen years where I was shy with girls, but I loved people and they knew it.

For a website, it is better to debate the point than to try and mediate peace (quiet acqiescence).

I used to wonder if it was being 'gentle as doves' or just 'wise as serpents.' On reflection, I think we'd have to say TOL is gentle (nobody dead and buried from being here, right?).

zippy2006

The Catholic readings for this Sunday are right on the mark for the TOL topic of the day. Here is Fr. Bob's sermon on the topic for those interested.

Here is the Gospel reading:

Matthew 18:15-20

Jesus said to his disciples:
"If your brother sins against you,
go and tell him his fault between you and him alone.
If he listens to you, you have won over your brother.
If he does not listen,
take one or two others along with you,
so that 'every fact may be established
on the testimony of two or three witnesses.'
If he refuses to listen to them, tell the church.
If he refuses to listen even to the church,
then treat him as you would a Gentile or a tax collector.
Amen, I say to you,
whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven,
and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.
Again, amen, I say to you,
if two of you agree on earth
about anything for which they are to pray,
it shall be granted to them by my heavenly Father.
For where two or three are gathered together in my name,
there am I in the midst of them."​

The relevance struck me, just thought I'd share :e4e: