toldailytopic: My favorite Christian music is...

Guyver

BANNED
Banned
Best all time......DC Talk. Currently, I like NeedtoBreathe, Lifehouse, Sanctus Real, POD and Skillet.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Don't forget, "You Can't Take the Sky from Me". Oh, wait, that's not a Christian song.

But it does remind me of "You Can't Take God Away," by Audio Adrenaline; I saw them at least five times in concert.

My list is a very long list.

I like Third Day, who I've also seen at least five times, and am about to again on the 24th. I love Flyleaf and I think they're my favorite right now. I've yet to see them, though.

Michael W. Smith was my first favorite, and the reason I became interested in doing my own thing in music with an intent on ministry. I got to see him in concert, finally, a few years ago.

There have been others, like Seven Day Jesus, whom I heard on a collection of indie artists well before their debut album. They were the best band on that CD. And then there's PFR [1], Jars of Clay [2], TobyMac [1], Newsboys [2], Rebecca St. James [1], Superchic[k] [2], and the list just goes on...

I do miss a great many bands that have disbanded, especially the ones who only had one album, like Burlap to Cashmere [1].

Some bands I enjoy for the pure poetry of their lyrics, and even their song titles; Sixpence None the Richer was one of the best for lyrics in that respect, at least regarding their own songs. And mewithoutYou is another, especially with song titles: "A Glass Can Only Spill what it Contains". Even Petra [1] had some great ones: Rose Colored Stained Glass Windows. And September 23rd, 1995 [my 15th birthday] will always be one of my fondest memories, and one of my best birthdays, because Petra had a concert in town that night and earlier in the day they did an autograph signing with one of the two opening acts: Code of Ethics [1], and all the guys in CoE wrote happy birthday with their autographs but Louie Weaver [Petra's drummer at the time] as the first in line for that band made both bands stand up and sing Happy Birthday to me. It was pretty cool.

I could sit here and list all of the bands I've seen in concert, along with how many times [if I can recall] and that still wouldn't begin to name all the bands I like.

I would also, however, like to mention that one of the opening acts on this Third Day tour has a member I went to school with. He was under my class, but his older brother was in my class.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass

Be Thou My Vision is a favorite of mine, as well as All Creatures of Our God and King. Also Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence. The lyrics for that hymn are amazing:

Let all mortal flesh keep silence,
and with fear and trembling stand;
ponder nothing earthly-minded,
for with blessing in his hand,
Christ our God to earth descendeth,
our full homage to demand.

King of kings, yet born of Mary,
as of old on earth he stood,
Lord of lords, in human vesture,
in the body and the blood;
he will give to all the faithful
his own self for heavenly food.

Rank on rank the host of heaven
spreads its vanguard on the way,
as the Light of light descendeth
from the realms of endless day,
that the powers of hell may vanish
as the darkness clears away.

At his feet the six-winged seraph,
cherubim, with sleepless eye,
veil their faces to the presence,
as with ceaseless voice they cry:
Alleluia, Alleluia,
Alleluia, Lord Most High!

faramir77

J.S. Bach
Haydn
Händel
Mozart and Beethoven (despite the calumny of popular belief concerning these two.)

You may also enjoy,
GF Handel
Thomas Tallis - considered the father of English Church music.
William Byrd - considered the father of Roman Church music.
Bach Oratorios, chorales and sacred songs in piticular.

Personally (as a musician) of late, Early American Folk Hymns, Battle Hymns and Negro Spirtuals. American Folk in general.

___
Introduction to; Harmonics, Cymatics, Solfeggio Frequencys, Justonic Tuning and Fibonacci Sequence.
Youtube Demonstration Video
runtime: 9:53

if you dig that, Sonarluminescence will enlighten Genesis 1:1-3
and give plausible president the falling of The Walls Of Jerhico.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Handel's Messiah. The lyrics are from the Bible.

Content is what I look for in Christian music, not so much the style.