toldailytopic: Lets honor our moms on Mother's Day weekend! What stories and qualitie

Status
Not open for further replies.

misstoast

My mother isn't too big on practicing her faith, which makes me sad. However, she and my father are both generous individuals who are genuinely interested in the success of others, not to mention a hundred other reasons why she is wonderful.

Quincy

I was adopted also. My belief is that a mother is someone who mothers.

That is something I'm glad to learn. I had no clue. Though we may have some differences, my dad is my biological dad, we certainly have an understanding on how precious a mother can be regardless of if she birthed you. For me, that is reason enough to be pro-life.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for May 6th, 2011 09:38 AM

toldailytopic: Lets honor our moms on Mother's Day weekend! What stories and qualities can you share about your mom?

My Mom is the toughest woman I know, her mother died at age 13 and she pretty much was a Mom to her three sisters. My mother was also a military wife and worse yet an officers wife which required her to be part politician. My Mom raised three kids including myself (the toughest chore) through many difficult times including many moves across country and overseas. My mom held herself and children together during my fathers tour of duty in Vietnam as a fighter pilot and also single handedly sold our home without my fathers presence when he was in Japan working and waiting for our arrival. Mom is a gourmet cook so all dinners at Moms are pretty special not just the food but the entire presentation, china, centerpiece, waterford crystal, the whole package like a 5 star restuarant. As you can see she is a pretty special lady and I love her very much...My words don't quite do her justice.

Heres to our Moms! :cheers:

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
My mom died years ago. She lived in a house on the banks of the Mississippi and she loved to sit on the porch in the evening and watch it go by. Her last years were in bad health, but she continued to work on her own, as a tax preparer. She was good at it, but she often did it for free, when she knew a family was not doing well.

The day she died, my sister called me and told me she didn't have long. When they put her on, it was clear she was going. I told her I loved her one last time. Typical midwesterner, she told me, "I'm fine, I'm fine." Then she went to sleep. Those were her last words.

We stayed up the night before her funeral, talking about her. Mom was quite a character, and a very humorous person, so there was a lot of laughter with the tears.

She wanted a private service, with only family there, but it didn't work out that way. She had done a favor for almost everyone in town, and she had been city and school district treasurer, city clerk, and councilwoman, and the church was filled.

As she wished, her ashes went into the river. They were scattered near a little island not far from her house, a beautiful spot, green and cool, and shaded by overhanging trees. On the way back, a gull flew just behind us. They often do that, looking for anything the motor might turn up. But it seemed like a good-bye at the time.

I miss her.

bybee

My mom died years ago. She lived in a house on the banks of the Mississippi and she loved to sit on the porch in the evening and watch it go by. Her last years were in bad health, but she continued to work on her own, as a tax preparer. She was good at it, but she often did it for free, when she knew a family was not doing well.

The day she died, my sister called me and told me she didn't have long. When they put her on, it was clear she was going. I told her I loved her one last time. Typical midwesterner, she told me, "I'm fine, I'm fine." Then she went to sleep. Those were her last words.

We stayed up the night before her funeral, talking about her. Mom was quite a character, and a very humorous person, so there was a lot of laughter with the tears.

She wanted a private service, with only family there, but it didn't work out that way. She had done a favor for almost everyone in town, and she had been city and school district treasurer, city clerk, and councilwoman, and the church was filled.

As she wished, her ashes went into the river. They were scattered near a little island not far from her house, a beautiful spot, green and cool, and shaded by overhanging trees. On the way back, a gull flew just behind us. They often do that, looking for anything the motor might turn up. But it seemed like a good-bye at the time.

I miss her.

Thanks for sharing your tribute to your wonderful mother!

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

toldailytopic: Lets honor our moms on Mother's Day weekend!
What stories and qualities can you share about your mom?

My mom, Eleanore ( 5 foot even, and "Ellie" to most everybody) came a mid size family, she had three sisters and two brothers. Mom's mother died at age 40, and her dad died at age 51. Mom was a good Proverbs wife and dad loved her dearly, mom brought us two boys up in a Christian home from our birth. Mom was widowed early at age 41; she helped us get through the death of our dad, and was left to raise my brother and myself alone. Mom did her absolute best taking are of us; I can remember hearing my mom praying for at night, and seeing that essentials were provided for. She gave me her permission to join the Navy, when I came back mom gave Mrs Psalmist (Violet) and me her blessing to be married, then mom and Jim got married the same year; mom was a real encourager to my brother while he was a pastor of a small church in Colorado, she helped see my brother through difficult times and was with him when he died at age 52.

We kept track of her when see moved back to Denver, and helped to take of Jim's final arrangements when he died. Then see began to suffer with heart problems that could not be fixed, this dear sweet lady, my mother, we were with her when died quietly with no difficulties at all. What a blessing my mom was to us and our families, we would comedies with her, she would make a pie or cake when came to visit her; I called mom everyday and would go and visit her every other day after Jim and her moved back to Denver, she was our biggest ally for our nursing home ministry.

I officiated her funeral service, how blessed I was and I'm thankful that I could, for me it was a fitting tribute to her and peaceful farewell, she was laid to rest in Fort Logan National Cemetery where Jim was laid to rest a few years earlier.

Like most sons and daughters say, so I will say, I had the greatest mom in the world.

In loving memory of

My mom

Eleanore "Ellie" Holm, 1915 to 2000.

and Violet’s mom

Eloise M. Beagle, 1912 to 1983.

When I find the photos (which I have) of my mom's mother and her grandmother I'll post them, my mom's side of our family all is Norwegian.

My mom, "Ellie"

Last edited:

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
My mother, she came from a different time, not understood by most persons today. She was good to my father and to her children, she raised us the way she was raised. I changed, broke away from much of her world view, and became my own model of motherhood, one more fluid and less static. One might say I was once, a young girl rebel with a cause.

My children look to me as a loving mother, who is wise, and in true, look to themselves, finding their own inner wisdom to do what they think is right, while I support them and respect them as mothers and fathers.

I’m forever mama, grandmamma, big mama and even a mother figure for many not related to me. Even with some of you TOL members, I’m a mother figure.

My family will be out soon, as they know I sleep late, there will be lots of goings on. Maybe some of you will wish me a happy mother’s day? Perhaps today is a good time to express your feelings? I know sometimes feelings are not always all cheerful with delight!
:cheers:

Mama Kat :angel:

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
My mother, she came from a different time, not understood by most persons today. She was good to my father and to her children, she raised us the way she was raised. I changed, broke away from much of her world view, and became my own model of motherhood, one more fluid and less static. One might say I was once, a young girl rebel with a cause.

My children look to me as a loving mother, who is wise, and in true, look to themselves, finding their own inner wisdom to do what they think is right, while I support them and respect them as mothers and fathers.

I’m forever mama, grandmamma, big mama and even a mother figure for many not related to me. Even with some of you TOL members, I’m a mother figure.

My family will be out soon, as they know I sleep late, there will be lots of goings on. Maybe some of you will wish me a happy mother’s day? Perhaps today is a good time to express your feelings? I know sometimes feelings are not always all cheerful with delight!

We Love Ya Mama Kat! :D

bybee

You are the best dear girl! Happy mother's day!

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Maybe some of you will wish me a happy mother’s day? Perhaps today is a good time to express your feelings? I know sometimes feelings are not always all cheerful with delight!

:BRAVO: Happy Mother's Day, Kat :BRAVO:​

zoo22

When my mom was a kid, long before she was a mom, her family fled their home as the Russians swept in. They left everything behind. She lived in displaced person camps in Europe for years before being able to come to America, with her parents, sister and grandmother. When they had finally found passage to the United States, before the boat left shore, a porter opened a door and spilled a pot of scalding water on her. She was so worried that it would keep them from being able to leave that she didn't tell her parents (her father was a doctor), and she and her sister kept it a secret as the skin fell off of her legs from the burns. I think about it sometimes, in amazement at how a small child could manage that much pain, show so much strength and conviction for her family. She had the same strength and conviction raising my sister and I. She's a remarkable woman.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
God bless all the TOL mothers and I hope you all have a great Mother's Day.

:e4e:

elohiym

(To the tune of Camp Granada.)

Thank you Father
for my mother
I still wish I
got a brother :mmph:
Through my days here
she has loved me
And a few times
when provoked
she's also clubbed me :sibbie: