toldailytopic: Lets honor our moms on Mother's Day weekend! What stories and qualitie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for May 6th, 2011 09:38 AM

toldailytopic: Lets honor our moms on Mother's Day weekend! What stories and qualities can you share about your mom?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

red cardinal

Then, graciously refrain from responding.

Don't you think it hurts a great number of people who have no mother to "honor" either by death or by other circumstances? I find it rather sad that people do not understand that there are SO many of us who only have bad memories and nothing but devastation to remember their "mothers" with. So Mother's Day is like rubbing dirt in the wounds. Some never experience the love, nurture and care of a mom, but I will refrain from raining on your parade :rain::wave:

However, I have two daughters who are the best moms in the whole world, so kudos to them. They are a blessing that far outweighs the junk for sure. I just feel bad for those who have no one to "honor". There are always two sides to life, ya know what I mean?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
my mom would pick up little old ladies carrying grocery bags along the side of the highway
and
then she would not just drop them off at their home
but
she would sit with them
and
have tea with them while I sat there mad as hell in that small dark smelly place

yes, I think she was a saint

Quincy

I recently discovered that my mother is not actually my biological mother. She has however been the only mother I have known and she could not be more awesome. From the guidance growing up, taking me to my sporting events, being there for me through my failures as a man to her twilight years I couldn't have asked for a better mother. It's quite breathtaking to me that someone could be so selfless and have such maternal instincts for someone not their own. She is not perfect but she is my angel.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Don't you think it hurts a great number of people who have no mother to "honor" either by death or by other circumstances? I find it rather sad that people do not understand that there are SO many of us who only have bad memories and nothing but devastation to remember their "mothers" with. So Mother's Day is like rubbing dirt in the wounds. Some never experience the love, nurture and care of a mom, but I will refrain from raining on your parade

In the same way my sister-in-law graciously and courageously attended my baby shower after her own miscarriage, there are many times in life where people are heroic, often silently so. She never said a word, and I, in my youth, didn't appreciate her greatness of spirit until long after.

I have lost my father, but I'm lucky it doesn't hurt me to see others celebrating their fathers on father's day. One of the most important things I'm learning (note - it's ongoing, daily...as I still need a LOT of work) as I grow older, is how to look out and away from myself, and share completely in both the sorrows and the joys of others, regardless of where I'm at.

I'm truly sorry about what you have shared regarding mother's day, and I mean that sincerely.

Quincy

Don't you think it hurts a great number of people who have no mother to "honor" either by death or by other circumstances? I find it rather sad that people do not understand that there are SO many of us who only have bad memories and nothing but devastation to remember their "mothers" with. So Mother's Day is like rubbing dirt in the wounds. Some never experience the love, nurture and care of a mom, but I will refrain from raining on your parade :rain::wave:

I can understand your point but at the same time some people are fortunate enough to have mothers to honor. Shouldn't they have a forum to do it?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
My mom is feisty. She was extremely protective of us growing up (I feel sorry for the school teachers that crossed us) :chuckle:

My mom is a tough Italian girl from north Denver who grew up in a large family and so she had to learn to fight for herself which she is very good at.

My mom is a marvelous cook. I can't even eat spaghetti at a restaurant because it will always be a let down compared to hers.

I think the quality that she gave me that I appreciate the most is the desire to have a large happy family that supports each other (sorta like old-world Italy style, one step down from the Sopranos). :noid:

I love my mom and I hope she has a great Mother's Day.

graceandpeace

Great thread, Knight!

My mom was a woman of great faith. Even to her dying day, she never stopped smiling, never complained, and always walked with grace in the light of those around her. I miss you mom...! (She died of pancreatic cancer a few years ago)...and went home to the Lord.

Growing up as a kid, mom always demanded respect, but, knew how to change a kids troublesome day into a wonderful event...just by showing us her unconditional love and care.

She was a jokester and her days were full of laughter, and I am so thankful to have the mom the Lord supplied me with, her last words to me after I had talked to her and told her that "I was there to cheer her up", were basically..."who is sad"?

I love ya mom! See ya SOON!

http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=16385&stc=1&d=1304700951

Krsto

My mom put up with my brother and me (my brother was kinda wierd) so she is a saint for that and for continuing to love him even though he has been one big disappointment.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
MY mother is with the LORD. She died in 2005 of cancer. She was one of those ladies with a gentle quiet spirit. She could also be described as a Proverbs 31 woman. She was not lazy and she was very loyal to my father. I learned from her the model of womanhood, something that I have striven for all of my life.

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
Well she stayed home and raised me and I think I turned out OK.

My mother had kidney failure 18 (maybe 19?) years ago and has been on dialysis ever since. She's survived several heart attacks, triple bypass surgery (was barely out of recovery when she attended my college graduation), a doctor accidentally nicking her bowels during one of the many surgeries she has had and more medical issues than I seem to be able to remember. No clue what's keeping her together, but I'm happy she's still here.

I appreciate that I can go to her, about anything. She loves me and cares about me, regardless of my lifestyle or who my partner is. She doesn't mind that I am transgendered or that I perform on stage as a drag queen. She always wanted a daughter anyway.

Four O'Clock

Mom passed away in January of 2009 (I came here late that afternoon to share some poetry she had written)
Like Knight's mom, overly protective, sometimes a bit too much in my 'radical' days but I surely understand now.
What a strong, Spirit-filled woman! Life wasn't easy for her but she maintained, always had a smile, and was committed to helping her family and those in need.
When she retired from her job, her friends, sisters, etc. tried to get her to relax, join a card club, afternoon teas sort of activity but Mom said:
I just don't think that's what HE would want me to be doing. Instead, she volunteered at local schools, helping children with reading and learning problems, among other endeavors.
My wife is a very sensitive, emotional person and, the night before we were married Mom gently grabbed my shoulders and said: "I want you to treat Martha extra special because she has tender insides." (I'm tearing up writing this)
I'm sure when our Savior said he was going to prepare a place for us, he surely had Mom in mind.
We WILL see each other again.
I'm sorry for blubbering....

Granite

Hall of Fame
Mine raised seven children, homeschooled them, and has been married for over three decades. She's a saint.

bybee

However, I have two daughters who are the best moms in the whole world, so kudos to them. They are a blessing that far outweighs the junk for sure. I just feel bad for those who have no one to "honor". There are always two sides to life, ya know what I mean?

Yes, I know what you mean. My mother passed away many years ago. My birth mother gave me, my sisters and brothers away.
The kind of love I have shared with my children is not what I received.
So, my loss has been their gain. From the moment I felt the flutter of life I was intensely in love with each of my children and that love continues until I die. So, I wonder, sometimes, how is it that my mother could give me away, could have so little love for me when I have so much love for my children?
Well, life is filled with wondrous and beautiful stories. When I look back over my 74 years I am grateful for God's love which is my foundation.
I wish you many blessings

bybee

I recently discovered that my mother is not actually my biological mother. She has however been the only mother I have known and she could not be more awesome. From the guidance growing up, taking me to my sporting events, being there for me through my failures as a man to her twilight years I couldn't have asked for a better mother. It's quite breathtaking to me that someone could be so selfless and have such maternal instincts for someone not their own. She is not perfect but she is my angel.

I was adopted also. My belief is that a mother is someone who mothers.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
toldailytopic: Lets honor our moms on Mother's Day weekend!

Unless this is your ma...

mama-fratelli.jpg

:noid:

(Sorry ma, but it IS your Facebook pic....)

Status
Not open for further replies.