toldailytopic: Jesus: tolerant or intolerant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunder's Muse

I agree that Jesus was both.

It seems to me that the people he was most intolerant with, were the Pharisees who were more interested in money and power than the people they were supposed to lead.

sdgareth

I agree he is both, for a reason

God’s Comprehensive Will
This refers to God’s will of purpose—His vast, all-inclusive, tolerating will expressed in the unfolding of His sovereign plan in the entire universe, including heaven, hell, and earth. This aspect of God’s will allows sin to run its course and Satan to have his way for a season. But in His appointed time, sin’s course and Satan’s way will end exactly according to God’s plan and foreknowledge.

rainee

Sigh.

The Lord Jesus probably did only one thing that may have frightened or alarmed His disciples.
And I'm sure you all know what it is.

Mark 11
12 The next day as they were leaving Bethany, Jesus was hungry. 13 Seeing in the distance a fig tree in leaf, he went to find out if it had any fruit. When he reached it, he found nothing but leaves, because it was not the season for figs. 14 Then he said to the tree, "May no one ever eat fruit from you again." And his disciples heard him say it.
20 In the morning, as they went along, they saw the fig tree withered from the roots.

That is it.
When I read this this above after a terrible fall into sin it broke my heart to see it.
It terrified me, well no, not terrified. But it did scare me. I hated it.

But this is The ONLY TIME that I can think of that He ever exercised
any desire - or anything - to be intolerant.

So I do not know what any of you are thinking of.

Unless you sissies think calling names is really really terrible?

Matthew 6:26

Last edited:

rainee

And sorry to sound so rude but last time Mr Knight thought of
a wing-dingger to put up as topic of the day and I participated in it - I ended up being called a silly little troll! (Unfairly, of course, by prolly a weanie of a butthead.)

Pink Fuzzy Bunny

I would agree with most of you and say that Jesus was both intolerant and tolerant. He shows His tolerance in that He does not condemn us all to Hades with no possibility of reconciliation, although we deserve it. Yet, He is intolerant in several cases in the New Testament, such as the case of Ananias and Sapphira, like the above poster said. In short, I believe that He knows our minds and our hearts, and so what seems tolerant or intolerant to others may be the complete opposite in His eyes.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for July 15th, 2010 10:07 AM

toldailytopic: Jesus: tolerant or intolerant?

Jesus is the truth. Kinda makes the question irrelevant.

Was He tolerant? At times and of some things, yes. Was He intolerant? At times and of some things, yes. But such descriptions are not what defines Him.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
~*~*~

As others have shared, 'both',...yet such depends on what conditions, actions or behavior are being addressed....and the circumstances. His tolerance would spring from his great spiritual love and wisdom, yet there would be a line where some things would not be tolerated when it transgressed the laws of goodness, sanity, love and justice.

pj

madman

Grace and mercy do not equal "tolerance".

Tolerance is apathy. Jesus was/is never apathetic.

Jesus gave His life for all men under condemnation. We were all His enemies. He did not tolerate us. He died for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.