toldailytopic: Jesus: tolerant or intolerant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for July 15th, 2010 10:07 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

bybee

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Jesus opened His heart to the repentant sinner with the admonition "Your sins are forgiven. GO AND SIN NO MORE!"
But He also told His disciples to "Shake the dust of that town from their sandals", wherein His message was not received.
But I would say no, to the idea that Jesus would take a relativistic approach to sin or the poor me it's not my fault routine.
So, we have the information we need and we either get with the program or get lost! peace, bybee

Alate_One

Both! Jesus was tolerant of many who were society's outcasts, the poor, the tax collectors, the lepers, and samaritans even.

But he was intolerant of the religious and those that thought highly of themselves and refused to help those lesser than themselves.

"So the last shall be first, and the first last."

The Berean

Both! Jesus was tolerant of many who were society's outcasts, the poor, the tax collectors, the lepers, and samaritans even.

But he was intolerant of the religious and those that thought highly of themselves and refused to help those lesser than themselves.

I don't think that was the reason the Jesus was intolerant of some of the religious authorities. Jesus was not a social activist. He was here to declare the kingdom of God.

Buzzword

I don't think that was the reason the Jesus was intolerant of some of the religious authorities. Jesus was not a social activist. He was here to declare the kingdom of God.

So you're saying he didn't come to make change ON EARTH in any way?

His declaration of the Kingdom was a declaration of the coming of a complete transformation of humanity, at the individual and societal levels.

He rebuked the religious authorities because they were too busy puffing themselves up to realize they had missed the entire point of the law: to show the way towards total transformation through the presence of God, both in the individual's life and in the society in which the individual operates.

Jesus opened His heart to those which both religious AND secular society rejected, showing them love and compassion, while rebuking those who had rejected them.

The Berean

So you're saying he didn't come to make change ON EARTH in any way?
No, not all. But His goal was not one of social activism. Things like feeding poor were by-products of His message. These by products are a good thing.

His declaration of the Kingdom was a declaration of the coming of a complete transformation of humanity, at the individual and societal levels.
Oh? I thought his message was about eternal salvation and freedom from sin?

He rebuked the religious authorities because they were too busy puffing themselves up to realize they had missed the entire point of the law: to show the way towards total transformation through the presence of God, both in the individual's life and in the society in which the individual operates.
Ok.

Jesus opened His heart to those which both religious AND secular society rejected, showing them love and compassion, while rebuking those who had rejected them.
Yes, he loved them because there were sinners and in need of forgiveness and He had eternal salvation to offer. The difference between the outcasts and the religious AND secular society was that the outcasts listened to Jesus.

rainee

I feel like I owe you money Mr Alate One.

When I quoted your post it revealed that you put your Bible Verses in box format instead of quote format and thus it carried the verse over to my own post instead of being dropped and lost!

How very neat and crafty!

So please forgive me for saying I disagree with you.

Where He seemed intolerant I believe He was really trying to severely warn - like shaking a tree.
You may note He would say things to a group - horrible things.
I think those individuals who were struck by what He said to the group - would step away from the group. Distance themselves - decide they were not like that...Not want to be part of it.

This would be like moving away from where lightening was going to strike, wouldn't it? So how intolerant was that?

Anyway thanks for teaching one can box things here!!

Nang

TOL Subscriber

The Son of God, Jesus Christ, was and is totally intolerant of sin, darkness, wickedness, evil, lying, boasting, worldliness, pride, greed, unbelief, hatefulness, selfishness, and angelic/human lackings of all kinds. He was and is intolerant of false religionists, false worships, false teachers, false prophets and all things untruthful. He was and is intolerant of His Word being misused, misinterpreted, mischaracterized, broken, ignored, or cast before swine. He was and is intolerant of death, sufferings, sadness, and sorrows . . . so He did all that was necessary to forever eliminate all of the above, forever and ever.

None of these things will be tolerated in the Kingdom of Heaven.

Nang

rainee

Hi Nang!

I am glad to see you!

But I have a question -
What you say is true of His position -
is it true of the first time He came -
or will it be true of what we will see the second time?

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Hi Nang!

I am glad to see you!

But I have a question -
What you say is true of His position -
is it true of the first time He came -
or will it be true of what we will see the second time?

Hi rainee . . . always good to see you posting, too!

To answer your question, I would say both. At no time did or will the Son of God tolerate any of the things above. All of history reveals His judgments against and His process of eliminating all that is wrong with creation.

The fact that Judgment Day has not occurred yet, is not a matter of Godly "tolerance" but rather, His delay in bringing things to an end is a matter of salvation. (II Peter 3:15) When all His saints have been saved through faith in Christ, all these things will burn away in a consuming fire. (II Peter 3:9-10)

The Graphite

Jesus Christ, the Son of God, the Angel of the Lord... is exceedingly and undeservedly tolerant in the short term... and brutally intolerant in the long-term.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Jesus Christ, the Son of God, the Angel of the Lord... is exceedingly and undeservedly tolerant in the short term... and brutally intolerant in the long-term.

Godly patience ("longsuffering") and tolerance, are two different things.

God cannot tolerate sin, or even look upon wickedness, but He is patient with sinners for the purpose of working salvation from amongst them.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
The deaths of Ananias and Sapphira are enough to cement in my mind that He was not tolerant of sin. This event took place after His ascension, so the cross did not make a difference in His tolerance.

Buzzword

No, not all. But His goal was not one of social activism. Things like feeding poor were by-products of His message. These by products are a good thing.

Okay, how about we each define what we mean by "social activism."

I see it as working towards ending injustice, inequality, poverty, environmental destruction, etc. for the glory of God and in an overall effort to build His kingdom, or if nothing else to show the rest of the world what He holds His children responsible for doing.

Oh? I thought his message was about eternal salvation and freedom from sin?

To use your word choice, eternal salvation is the BYPRODUCT of His transforming process, not the GOAL.

The goal is changing, and ultimately improving, how we relate to God (leaving rebellion behind), how we relate to each other (letting His love flow through us to everyone we encounter), and how we relate to God's created universe (being good stewards of this world He has given us).

Having eternal life after walking the path is merely the natural conclusion, not the whole point of the process.

It's actually sad that some Christians treat Heaven as the end-all and be-all, and once they feel assured they're going, they just sit back and try to spiritually coast for the rest of their lives.

Yes, he loved them because there were sinners and in need of forgiveness and He had eternal salvation to offer. The difference between the outcasts and the religious AND secular society was that the outcasts listened to Jesus.
No argument here.

rainee

Ok, I see reading all of you that most of you are making good points
but what does tolerance mean?

The Lord is in a boat, ok?

And Jesus says to them:

"Watch out! Beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and the leaven of Herod."

And the disciples say:

"He said that because we did not bring any bread."

Now does He throw them in the water?
Wouldn't we want to?!

Isaiah 42:3 (New American Standard Bible)

3"A bruised reed He will not break
And a dimly burning wick He will not extinguish;
He will faithfully bring forth justice.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I was thinking both. He gives you your whole life to come to him. But there will be absolutely positively no mercy if you don't. But also, if you were unrepentant in his earthly ministry, he cut no slack. And that is missed by most. Why? I don't know.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The Son of God, Jesus Christ, was and is totally intolerant of sin, darkness, wickedness, evil, lying, boasting, worldliness, pride, greed, unbelief, hatefulness, selfishness, and angelic/human lackings of all kinds. He was and is intolerant of false religionists, false worships, false teachers, false prophets and all things untruthful. He was and is intolerant of His Word being misused, misinterpreted, mischaracterized, broken, ignored, or cast before swine. He was and is intolerant of death, sufferings, sadness, and sorrows . . . so He did all that was necessary to forever eliminate all of the above, forever and ever.

None of these things will be tolerated in the Kingdom of Heaven.

Nang

:up:

Status
Not open for further replies.