toldailytopic: Is President Obama doing a good job handling the oil spill in the gulf

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
US is using foreign help

"....…In a June 15 press release, the Deepwater Horizon Incident Joint Information Center (JIC) stated that “[c]urrently, 15 foreign-flagged vessels are involved in the largest response to an oil spill in U.S. history.” The JIC further explained, “No Jones Act waivers have been granted because none of these vessels have required such a waiver to conduct their operations in the Gulf of Mexico.” The press release further stated:

To date, the administration has leveraged assets and skills from numerous foreign countries and international organizations as part of this historic, all-hands-on-deck response, including Canada, Germany, Mexico, Netherlands, Norway, the United Nations’ International Maritime Organization and the European Union’s Monitoring and Information Centre. In some cases, offers of international assistance have been turned down because the offer didn’t fit the needs of the response.

…On June 10, Fox News reporter Brian Wilson wrote on his blog that “[t]he Coast Guard and the Administration are quick to point out that some foreign technology is being used in the current cleanup effort.” According to Wilson, this technology includes:

* Canada’s offer of 3,000 meters of containment boom
* Three sets of COSEQ sweeping arms from the Dutch
* Mexico’s offer of two skimmers and 4200 meters of boom
* Norway’s offer of 8 skimming systems

:idunno: Maybe a waiver of the Jones Act isn't needed?

Last edited:

Aimiel

Obviously, Obama is LAME:

The facts on the "escrow" account

The "escrow account" in 2010 is not $20 billion dollars. BP will put in $3 billion dollars in the third quarter of 2010 (ending September 30) and another $2 billion in the fourth quarter (ending December 31). Thereafter, it will have to make installments of $1.25 billion each quarter for the next three years.

This means that the necessary money will not be available to pay the tens of billions in losses that are real and immediate. It also means that people and businesses will have to get in line.

The real number for the escrow account in 2010 is $5 billion—six months from now at the earliest. To put this in perspective, BP has been bringing in between $26 billion and $36 billion annually in profits on revenue of $250 billion, and pays out more than $10 billion in dividends yearly.

ARTICLE SOURCE

Aimiel

BP, being a corporation, doesn't have any 'private' assets. :duh:

You left-wingers are so daft. :doh:

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
:idunno: Maybe a waiver of the Jones Act isn't needed?

I looked at your website's news sources page. :chuckle:

Finding a more (if that's possible) neutral counter to your above link was a bit tedious, since many of them seem strangely silent on the matter..

Three days after the explosion of the Deepwater Horizon in the Gulf of Mexico, the Dutch government offered to help.

It was willing to provide ships outfitted with oil-skimming booms, and it proposed a plan for building sand barriers to protect sensitive marshlands.
The response from the Obama administration and BP, which are coordinating the cleanup:

“The embassy got a nice letter from the administration that said, ‘Thanks, but no thanks,'” said Geert Visser, consul general for the Netherlands in Houston.

Now, almost seven weeks later, as the oil spewing from the battered well spreads across the Gulf and soils pristine beaches and coastline, BP and our government have reconsidered.
U.S. ships are being outfitted this week with four pairs of the skimming booms airlifted from the Netherlands and should be deployed within days. [article is dated 8 June 2010]
Each pair can process 5 million gallons of water a day, removing 20,000 tons of oil and sludge.
At that rate, how much more oil could have been removed from the Gulf during the past month?
The uncoordinated response to an offer of assistance has become characteristic of this disaster's response. Too often, BP and the government don't seem to know what the other is doing, and the response has seemed too slow and too confused.
Federal law has also hampered the assistance. The Jones Act, the maritime law that requires all goods be carried in U.S. waters by U.S.-flagged ships, has prevented Dutch ships with spill-fighting equipment from entering U.S. coastal areas.

Aimiel

Did anyone see the story about Kevin Costner's invention? He was on Anderson Cooper 360 the other night, and I think he said that BP bought 32 of his devices. His largest can separate 200 gallons in one minute. The result is 99.9% pure oil and 99.9% pure water. BP did several tests on the device and was satisfied with the results. He's been trying to sell it, but no one wanted it, thinking that the oil spill days were over.

http://gossiponthis.com/2010/06/16/kevin-costner-clean-up-bp-oil-spill/

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Good? You mean how good.

The Nobel committee began deliberating a second Nobel the day before his first press conference...that's how good.

:plain:

Did anyone see the story about Kevin Costner's invention? He was on Anderson Cooper 360 the other night, and I think he said that BP bought 32 of his devices. His largest can separate 200 gallons in one minute. The result is 99.9% pure oil and 99.9% pure water. BP did several tests on the device and was satisfied with the results. He's been trying to sell it, but no one wanted it, thinking that the oil spill days were over.

http://gossiponthis.com/2010/06/16/kevin-costner-clean-up-bp-oil-spill/

:thumb:

Now if he can only develop something like that for scripts. :poly:

Aimiel

He said that the development (which he got into with the help of his brother) went on for a long time, not unlike his movies. :chuckle:

The tests that BP threw at his separator, which is basically a centrifuge, it passed with flying colors. 99.9% is pretty good. They're ramping up production. Had the oil industry embraced it when it was offered to them, there would be plenty of them out there for BP to lease to clean up the spill, and they might not have to use the dispersant to 'hide' the oil below the surface.

GuySmiley

Costner siad that's how he got the idea to make Waterworld. He siphoned off all the quality lines and acting and was left with 99.9% pure Waterworld.

themuzicman

IMHO, Obama has shown poor leadership and poor decision making, here.

It appears that Obama put all his eggs into the "top kill" basket, choosing to reject all other options, including those necessary in case of BP failure, hoping this one solution would work.

I don't really fault Obama for not making a public statement immediately, as allowing the experts to do their jobs is usually OK.

But I do fault him for not accepting help from the Dutch and deploying any measures possible to be prepared for a longer term solution. That was bad leadership. A leader needs to push for the best but be prepared for the worst.

And he didn't.

Which goes back to the campaign: McCain said "Not ready to lead", and as wrong as McCain is on a lot of things, he was right, here.

drbrumley

And therefore Obama should seize BP's private assets?

Sometimes you right-wingers have strange bedfellows.

Are you seriously calling Aimiel a "right-winger" on this issue or just being sarcasstic? Aimiel has shown his leftist tendencies on this issue.

Alate_One

I'm really surprised at you small government types being upset that "Obama isn't doing enough". What exactly is the president supposed to do to actually stop the oil? Swim down beyond what's humanly possible and stop it with his laser eye ray?

BP has the technology and the know how, or at least should. The government isn't normally in the business of cleaning up massive oil spills or using robots to handle blowout preventers in thousands of feet of water.

I certainly would fault the administration for not going over regulators in general with a fine toothed comb after they took office. Hello? Bush administration guts environmental regulation? Might want to look at that :doh:

I also think they are being far too reactive to all sorts of silly public pressure rather than approaching the issue their own way.

And he turned down the Louisianna's governor request to put up barriers. He asked for 24, and was alloted 6. Or something similar.

Except that we know the barriers have an extremely low probability of success and waste a bunch of money and time. But now the feds are letting them go forward because they feel the need to make the locals happy rather than doing something that will actually help.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I'm really surprised at you small government types being upset that "Obama isn't doing enough". What exactly is the president supposed to do to actually stop the oil? Swim down beyond what's humanly possible and stop it with his laser eye ray?

I think back in 2008 there were voters who actually thought Obama was super-human. I think that's fading, though.
What he is supposed to do is provide LEADERSHIP. Even people polled recenting in Louisiana think Bush did a better job with Katrina than Obama is doing now, and that's saying something.

Hello? Bush administration guts environmental regulation? Might want to look at that
The EPA has the potential to wield more power than ever before. It's ludicrous to keep presenting it as being gutted.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I looked at your website's news sources page. :chuckle:
What about it?

Finding a more (if that's possible) neutral counter to your above link was a bit tedious, since many of them seem strangely silent on the matter..

Three days after the explosion of the Deepwater Horizon in the Gulf of Mexico, the Dutch government offered to help.

It was willing to provide ships outfitted with oil-skimming booms, and it proposed a plan for building sand barriers to protect sensitive marshlands.
The response from the Obama administration and BP, which are coordinating the cleanup:

“The embassy got a nice letter from the administration that said, ‘Thanks, but no thanks,'” said Geert Visser, consul general for the Netherlands in Houston.

Now, almost seven weeks later, as the oil spewing from the battered well spreads across the Gulf and soils pristine beaches and coastline, BP and our government have reconsidered.
U.S. ships are being outfitted this week with four pairs of the skimming booms airlifted from the Netherlands and should be deployed within days. [article is dated 8 June 2010]
Each pair can process 5 million gallons of water a day, removing 20,000 tons of oil and sludge.
At that rate, how much more oil could have been removed from the Gulf during the past month?
The uncoordinated response to an offer of assistance has become characteristic of this disaster's response. Too often, BP and the government don't seem to know what the other is doing, and the response has seemed too slow and too confused.
Federal law has also hampered the assistance. The Jones Act, the maritime law that requires all goods be carried in U.S. waters by U.S.-flagged ships, has prevented Dutch ships with spill-fighting equipment from entering U.S. coastal areas.

I actually posted that exact same article in another thread. :chuckle:

I'm not questioning the slow response by the government to accept foreign help. I'm questioning the Jones act. If the foreign help is here and the Jones Act still hasn't been waived, then was it really a problem to begin with? There seem to be conflicting reports. I'm not sure which is true. :idunno:

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
What about it?

For someone who is self-desgnated as more right than left, I find it humorous that you'd be on a site which gets its news from the likes of Go Left TV, Lefty blogs, Daily Kos, Florida Progressive Coalition, etc. because it just doesn't seeim to fit someone who considers himself even the littlest bit righter than left.

I'm not questioning the slow response by the government to accept foreign help. I'm questioning the Jones act. If the foreign help is here and the Jones Act still hasn't been waived, then was it really a problem to begin with? There seem to be conflicting reports. I'm not sure which is true.
It's possible they've been outside U.S. territorial waters, but I don't know either, actually. There do seem to be conflicting reports, since it's been widely reported that foreign offers were turned down until very recently. It would be very helpful to see someone put together a credible timeline.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
For someone who is self-desgnated as more right than left, I find it humorous that you'd be on a site which gets its news from the likes of Go Left TV, Lefty blogs, Daily Kos, Florida Progressive Coalition, etc. because it just doesn't seeim to fit someone who considers himself even the littlest bit righter than left.
You're sounding suspiciously right winger there... People who are essentially moderate tend to read a bit more broadly and draw in information from a number of disparate sources.

Maybe you're on the cusp. :think:

I take in The Nation and The New Republic, by way of example. I suspect kmo does something like that.

That said, he's a communist. I read it in someone's signature line, so it's bound to be true. :plain:

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for June 16th, 2010 10:27 AM

toldailytopic: Is President Obama doing a good job handling the oil spill in the gulf?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

I would place more blame on congress, they have the power to make decisions. Besides, Obama is to busy making nice with other countries.

:wave2:

Non-Excluvistic

BANNED
Banned
For someone who is self-desgnated as more right than left, I find it humorous that you'd be on a site which gets its news from the likes of Go Left TV, Lefty blogs, Daily

The whole left right things is so childish. It reminds me of the childish groups and clicks we joined as kids just to argue for no purpose that benefited anything productive. The sides say they want what is best, but truth be told, they want for their side to win regardless of what's best.

Is there a way to remove my selection of right left etc and have it blank? If so I'd put what I am: N/A

I wait till I see who is running and listen to what they say without any pre-party childish fault finding attitudes.

Status
Not open for further replies.