toldailytopic: Is it immoral to listen to music that does not honor God?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthur Brain

Precisely (Philippians 4:8). It depends on what the music is honoring, whether it is something good or something bad, as to whether it is immoral to listen to it or not.

What if it's simply music for the sake of music? Are jamming sessions immoral? Electronica, where it's simply the music without any agenda? Classical compositions in the same regard etc?

The first thing that catches 'my ear' with music is generally harmony and rhythm, a lot of which isn't composed with any particular spiritual goal but to my mind, so what?

Thunder's Muse

Music is like therapy for me. There is nothing like putting on some rock and jumping around screaming the lyrics to vent anger and excess energy.

Othertimes, I prefer more lyric based music and I cry to myself to release the sadness and confusion.

Then there is music I listen to simply for the pleasure of it :)

csuguy

No there is absolutely nothing immoral about music that simply does not honor God. As pointed out by others, though, music which is irreverent towards God is another matter.

The Horn

BANNED
Banned
How do you determine which music honors God or not?
Not every one would agree on this. Anyway,people should be free to listen to or not listen to whatever music they choose to,so the whole question is moot.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

toldailytopic: Is it immoral to listen to music that does not honor God?

There is music...
That dishonors God.
That has lyrics that are immoral and vile.
That sounds all the pots and pans have hit the floor.
That is nothing more than trashing, head banging, and senseless.
There is music that I have listened to in the past that I have heard later and thought how could I listen to that.

As for the topic of the day question...
If the music being listened to is degrading, immoral, profane, with more than just sexual overtones, and sounds like a space shuttle take-off with a car crash sound ending, then it is not worth listening to and it honoring nothing at all let alone God.​

Is it immoral to listen to music that does not honor God? Listener beware and judge for yourself.

Now I'll ask myself what am I listening too, stay tuned.

Sorry, I think I'm rambling again.

Buzzword

The music of Queen doesn't explicitly honor God.

But if it's immoral to listen to Queen, then there was never a more happy reason to waltz into hell with a smile on one's face.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
How do you determine which music honors God or not?
Not every one would agree on this. Anyway,people should be free to listen to or not listen to whatever music they choose to,so the whole question is moot.

He knows your heart.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
There's a band I really like and on their first album there was only one song that was explicitly Christ-centered; "Christ Will Save You." The rest were either just fun songs, or songs with a serious message, but not about God. I don't think it's wrong to listen to, or sing, those songs. just like it's not immoral for me to talk about those same issues without bringing God into the mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.