toldailytopic: Is it immoral to listen to music that does not honor God?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for March 29th, 2011 10:55 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Samstarrett

Are we talking about music that is actively dishonoring to God or just music that doesn't touch on religious subjects?

some other dude

The Psalms

Praise for God's Righteousness
A Psalm.

1 O sing unto the LORD a new song;
for he hath done marvelous things:
his right hand, and his holy arm, hath gotten him the victory.

2 The LORD hath made known his salvation:
his righteousness hath he openly showed in the sight of the heathen.

3 He hath remembered his mercy and his truth
toward the house of Israel:
all the ends of the earth have seen
the salvation of our God.

4 Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all the earth:
make a loud noise, and rejoice, and sing praise.

5 Sing unto the LORD with the harp;
with the harp, and the voice of a psalm.

6 With trumpets and sound of cornet
make a joyful noise before the LORD, the King.

7 Let the sea roar, and the fulness thereof;
the world, and they that dwell therein.

8 Let the floods clap their hands:
let the hills be joyful together

9 before the LORD;
for he cometh to judge the earth:
with righteousness shall he judge the world,
and the people with equity.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I think it would be immoral to listen to music that dishonors God. And that is not the same thing. For example, a lot of music from his highness Frank Sinatra doesn't honor God, but it isn't dishonorable or disrespectful like rap, Jewel, or other garbage off the top of my head.

Arthur Brain

Are we talking about music that is actively dishonoring to God or just music that doesn't touch on religious subjects?

Good point as it's likely to be the lyrics in the former that could be construed as immoral. As to the latter then no, not at all IMO.

some other dude

I think all music, like all scripture can be profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.

No music is completely useless; it can always serve as a bad example.

student_ad_x

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for March 29th, 2011 10:55 AM

I would say our Christian liberty allows us to listen to most styles of music (as long as it isn't satanic or blasphemous)......... the same as our liberty allows Christians to read philosophy, fiction or even the newspaper that is man centered and not God honoring. A story is a story whether written on paper, put to music or rapped on a street corner......... nothing more nothing less.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Is it immoral to listen to music that does not honor God?

I'll side with T-Bone Burnett...I think that's who said something like: you don't have to paint Jesus on a wall if you're a Christian mason.

Or, what a Christian does well, honestly, and in non-contravention of the good honors God.

Four O'Clock

I agree with the poster that mentioned music that dishonors God. That is clearly wrong. But music that doesn't specifically mention God IMO can celebrate God in its creativity. Much classical music was specifically written with the church in mind. The classical music that wasn't specific still shows how God's gift of creativity within us can create beautiful compositions.
The same is true with other forms of music. Jazz, etc...
Much of the music I've grown fond of over the years is able to bring me closer to God regardless of whether it overtly praises the Lord or not.

I won't deny the lift that many will get from modern 'Christian Music' but its never really been my cup of tea. I much prefer 'secular' musicians who, at least, attempt to delve into spiritual themes over straight 'Christian musicians' who, in terms of musicianship, virtually pale in comparison to their secular counterparts.
(and please don't bring up the oft repeated urban myth that Jimi Hendrix told Phil Keaggy that he was better than he was...:rolleyes:)

Some of my favorite stuff from 'secular' icons like John Coltrane, Van Morrison, Carlos Santana, and others has come from their spirtual inspired efforts.

More later...good thread...

i have to confess i like music like Super Tramp and Yes.. not crazy about the new stuff that comes out these days.. dont even know what the names of the new groups are these days... I like the old rock groups: The Cars, Journey...

but the lyrics of that one S Tramp song irritate and disturb me cus its basically about going from one woman to the next... "...you can laugh @ my behavior, that'll never bother me... say the devil is my savior but i dont pay no heed"

but i like the music & sometimes i listen to it but when i listen to godly music i am lifted up and so i ususally listen to that these days

Even so i dont think its a sin to listen to rock music once in awhile. It's when u listen to it all the time that it begins to warp your mind... your soul (heart)

Son of Jack

I'll say that the vast majority of music isn't immoral, but there is a large portion of it that, though moral, is unedifying.

Status
Not open for further replies.