toldailytopic: Is it ever OK to hate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
is that from the OT?
Do you have something against the Old Testament? Did God somehow get nicer or better in the New Testament??

Let love be without hypocrisy. Abhor what is evil (i.e. hate what is evil). Cling to what is good. - Romans 12:9

What testament is that from? :think:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Psalm 26:5

5 I have hated the assembly of evildoers, And will not sit with the wicked.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
David's hatred did not bring anyone salvation. Sometimes it's easy to lose sight of the fact that Psalm 139:20 applied as much to us as to anyone else:

Ephesians 2:3
Among them we too all formerly lived in the lusts of our flesh, indulging the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, even as the rest.

Colossians 1:21
And although you were formerly alienated and hostile in mind, engaged in evil deeds,

Romans 5:10
For if when we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life.​

Fortunately for us, God is love (1 John 4:8), not hate:

Ephesians 2:3-4
But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved),​

I hate you. You will sit with the wicked, and will not judge. You don't do it, because you hate with malice in your heart, instead of perfect hatred.

elohiym

Fortunately for us, God is love (1 John 4:8), not hate:

Love and hate are not mutually exclusive ideas.

Ps 11:5 The LORD trieth the righteous: but the wicked and him that loveth violence his soul hateth.

Is that God not being God? Apparently, love can hate.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I used new testament sources to support the Old testament sources. God's stance still hasn't changed on this matter. Christians are not required to love God haters and reprobates.

Enemies in this case are people that are spiteful toward you, not necessarily God haters.

As has been said in previous posts there is a time to hate and the time to love.

Sherman

Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Another verse about hate. The bible is full of them.

Hosea 9:15 All their wickedness is in Gilgal: for there I hated them: for the wickedness of their doings I will drive them out of mine house, I will love them no more: all their princes are revolters.

Now why would God have so many verses in the bible about hating evil doers?

Buzzword

"You have heard it said, 'Love your neighbor, and hate your enemy.' But I tell you, love your enemies, and pray for those who persecute you."

Jesus' words > OT.

The Old Testament represents a flawed understanding of the nature of God which Christ has since corrected.

God does not change, but human understanding does.

Thus God is given credit in the OT for words and actions which the Father seen in the Son does not by his nature say and do.

Example: The ancient understanding gave God credit for ordering the Israelites to kill every man, woman, and child in Canaan.
This CANNOT BE the God who wishes that none should perish, just using plain logic.

God does not hate.
Men hate and say it is really God who is hating.
Thus God can be said to hate anything any individual person hates, regardless of the inherent contradiction to His nature.

Trying to draw connections between the version of God seen by the ancient Hebrews and the God seen in Christ is a huge factor in alienating atheists and others who are genuinely seeking truth, but rational thought gets in their way.

So to answer the OP:
It is NEVER moral, right, Godly, Christlike to hate a person.
Hatred is a poison which never affects its target yet slowly kills its wielder.

Sherman

Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Here is the context of loving your enemies:

Matthew 5:42-44
Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away.
Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.
But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

These verses are not talking about reprobates and evil doers. They are talking about people around you that you don't get along with. Ever have a guy at work that lies to your supervisor about you getting you in trouble? Or how about that couple at church that talks behind your back and spreads rumors about you. There is a time to hate and there is the time to love. Jesus is talking about enemies like these, not reprobates.

Buzzword

Inzl Kett said:
Jesus is talking about enemies like these, not reprobates.

And who are you to deem someone "reprobate"?

You are essentially claiming the right to call someone an enemy of God.
Last I checked, ALL OF US started as enemies of God, and if He had HATED us instead of LOVING us, none of us would ever have a chance to be anything but His enemy for eternity.

He commands us to do what He did first.
We love because He first loved us.
Thus we have ZERO right to hate ANYONE.

elohiym

Example: The ancient understanding gave God credit for ordering the Israelites to kill every man, woman, and child in Canaan.
This CANNOT BE the God who wishes that none should perish, just using plain logic.

The ancient flawed understanding was that the first death is real. From God's perspective, nobody innocent perished. The souls of those infants and sucklings were not destroyed.

Paulos

These verses are not talking about reprobates and evil doers. They are talking about people around you that you don't get along with. Ever have a guy at work that lies to your supervisor about you getting you in trouble? Or how about that couple at church that talks behind your back and spreads rumors about you. There is a time to hate and there is the time to love. Jesus is talking about enemies like these, not reprobates.

I think you forget that all of us were seen as "reprobates and evil doers" before an all-holy God, yourself included (Romans 3:23, Ephesians 2:3-4).

Last edited:

Buzzword

The ancient flawed understanding was that the first death is real. From God's perspective, nobody innocent perished. The souls of those infants and sucklings were not destroyed.

Neither are the souls of aborted fetuses destroyed.
That doesn't make their deaths justified, and the loving God seen through Christ would not, by His nature, command men to murder.

That they DID murder and claim divine command merely demonstrates their flawed image of God.

unknown

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for May 18th, 2011 09:12 AM

toldailytopic: Is it ever OK to hate?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.
Ecclesiastes 3:8 (King James Version)

8A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.

Sherman

Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Thus we have ZERO right to hate ANYONE.

When why all those verses about God and even king David hating evil doers?

The term reprobate means a person who is unrepentant and even advocates sin. I don't have to love people like this. My interest is in people who want to change. I am interested in people who want a relationship with God, even if they don't share my views on everything.

elohiym

If the USA goes to war against another nation today, is it your opinion that our troops should commit infanticide?

The U.S. is not God's nation, and it has no means of communicating with God (like the Israelites had). Therefore, your question strikes me as irrelevant, and any answer I gave you would be beside the point.

Granite

Hall of Fame
It might be temporarily useful in terms of venting or getting the worst of your emotions out of the way. Sustained hatred is pointless, unhealthy, and destructive, usually for the practitioner more than anybody. Can't think of much good that could come from constant hatred. That's using the dark side of the force, ya know?

Status
Not open for further replies.