toldailytopic: Is it a good idea to vaccinate your children?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for June 6th, 2011 03:52 PM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Yes. Vaccines have been instrumental in stamping out many once common childhood diseases.

Vaccines contain weakened or dead versions of the antigens that cause diseases. This means the antigen cannot produce the disease, but it activates the immune system into producing antibodies making the child immune to the disease. Vaccines not only help keep children healthy, they help all children by stamping out serious childhood diseases.

Much of the objection against vaccines is the concern over their safety. Vaccines are actually quite safe. The protection provided by vaccines far outweighs their risks. Any treatment in medicine carries with it risk. There is greater risk in no treatment at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Selaphiel

It is irresponsible not to.

Of course this is another topic filled with wild conspiracy theories based on bad information. Vaccinations have eradicated horrible diseases from our world, end of story.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Is it a good idea to vaccinate your children?

No. Absolutely not. You should have a physician do it. :plain:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
A better question is which ones are not needed. We should still be innoculating for small pox. The former Soviet Union gave their sample to radical Islam. Well, they claim they lost it. But you know what Christ hating pig faced liars liberals are.

Refractive

Depends on how much you look forward to watching them die of smallpox or be crippled by polio, I guess.

Not vaccinating would certainly help with the pesky overpopulation problem, though.

Dena

Well, I guess I'll be the first to say "no" I don't think it's a good idea. And no, I don't plan on vaccinating our future kids. I don't get flu shots either.

AmarBadz

YES!! definitely yes.. it is a way of precaution, protection for the children from sickness and danger, although not literally means danger from evil since evil will find ways to endanger or hurt someone, but it is just an armor of protections againts germs and diseases.

Tyrathca

Well, I guess I'll be the first to say "no" I don't think it's a good idea. And no, I don't plan on vaccinating our future kids. I don't get flu shots either.
In the interests of creating some form of discussion, would you like to share why you made this decision?

Silent Hunter

. . . absolutely . . .

. . . either that . . . or . . . read chicken bones . . . or . . . bathe in the Ganges . . . or . . . sit in a sweat lodge . . . or . . . pray to any of a variety of deities (including the christian deity) . . . and we all know how pointless and ineffective any of these latter methods have worked out to prevent disease . . .

No. Absolutely not. You should have a physician do it.
. . . or a nurse . . . or someone trained to administer vaccines . . .

Tyrathca

On a further note I think it is a good idea to vaccinate yourself, not to protect yourself but to protect others such as the young and the elderly. For example I had the pertussis vaccination a few months ago, not for myself since the being an adult who was vaccinated as a child the disease will barely bother me but because I have regular contact with children (including infants) and could thus become carrier who infects them (which can be very severe).

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
. . . absolutely . . .

. . . either that . . . or . . . read chicken bones . . . or . . . bathe in the Ganges . . . or . . . sit in a sweat lodge . . . or . . . pray to any of a variety of deities (including the christian deity) . . . and we all know how pointless and ineffective any of these latter methods have worked out to prevent disease . . .

Utterly pointless post. What Christian in the thread up to this point has said not to vaccinate? Here you go dumping beer on the tables just to be a pest because you are a God hater.

Silent Hunter

. . . absolutely . . .

Utterly pointless post. What Christian in the thread up to this point has said not to vaccinate?
. . . utterly NOT the point of the post . . . this would be you reading into the post what isn't there (at the least reading only you wanted to be offended by).

. . . perhaps you would do well to review . . .

. . . or . . . read chicken bones . . . (Voodoo)

. . . or . . . bathe in the Ganges . . . (Hindu)

. . . or . . . sit in a sweat lodge . . . (some American Indians)

. . . or . . . pray to any of a variety of deities (including the christian deity) . . . (anyone who "worships" a deity)

. . . we all know how pointless and ineffective any of these latter methods have worked out to prevent disease (see above).

. . . vaccinations prevent disease . . . not religious practices (but you didn't get that far for fear of being excused from your persecution complex).

Here you go dumping beer on the tables just to be a pest because you are a God hater.
. . . I don't "hate" any deity . . .

. . . how many "gods" do you hate? :think:

SlightlyCurious

On a further note I think it is a good idea to vaccinate yourself, not to protect yourself but to protect others such as the young and the elderly. For example I had the pertussis vaccination a few months ago, not for myself since the being an adult who was vaccinated as a child the disease will barely bother me but because I have regular contact with children (including infants) and could thus become carrier who infects them (which can be very severe).

I completely agree. You bring up a good point. I think the reason this topic is directed at children is because children are simply vaccinated with riskier pathogens. However, the risk is so infinitesimal I think they should be vaccinated anyway.

Cracked

Utterly pointless post. What Christian in the thread up to this point has said not to vaccinate? Here you go dumping beer on the tables just to be a pest because you are a God hater.

Lol... Silent Hunter seems to be a man of singular purpose...

Status
Not open for further replies.