toldailytopic: Is hate always a bad thing?

PureX

Are these your only experiences with hate?

Have you ever hated something you have done or thought yourself?
Of course. I was a hard core drunk for 20 years. I hated God, life, and the whole world. I blamed all that shame and anger that was in me (mostly because of my alcoholism) on everything and everyone. And I wallowed in all that bile because it gave me a perpetual excuse to drink. I was a 'professional hater', you might say.

Fortunately, I mostly only punished myself with all that hate and blame and ugly nonsense through my alcohol abuse. I didn't have a wife or children, and I thank God for that! Because surely I would have made them suffer.

Now days I know what that sickness is, and how to avoid letting it find a place in me. I've dealt with the poison of the past and can enjoy people, and life, and the world, even as crazy as they can sometimes be.

The cure for the hate-sickness is forgiveness. Starting with one's self, and spreading out from there. But it takes time and persistent effort, and it can't even start until we're willing to recognize that we've been poisoned by it.

You haters out there, stop hiding behind Bible quotes. That'll only make it worse.

noguru

It's beyond insecurity. We're all somewhat insecure. But we don't all react to our insecurity so intensely, and we don't all choose to attack others because of it.

Agreed. The problem is self-perpetuating and usually learned behavior as you point out in your next post. Similar and directly related to the cycle of child abuse and other types of abuse. At any rate, I think you are seeing all hate as an all consuming obsession that leads only to poor decisions. And in this way you and I differ.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for January 10th, 2012 10:40 AM

toldailytopic: Is hate always a bad thing?

That would depend on the definition of hate being used and the context its being used in.

Hate according to the bible can be righteous, like hating sin, or unrighteous by hating a brother.

One is selfish and one is not. Hate is also defined in the bible as to love one thing less than another, not the hate like we typically today use the word.

So yes sometimes its not a bad thing.

noguru

Of course. I was a hard core drunk for 20 years. I hated God, life, and the whole world. I blamed all that shame and anger that was in me (mostly because of my alcoholism) on everything and everyone. And I wallowed in all that bile because it gave me a perpetual excuse to drink. I was a 'professional hater', you might say.

Fortunately, I mostly only punished myself with all that hate and blame and ugly nonsense through my alcohol abuse. I didn't have a wife or children, and I thank God for that! Because surely I would have made them suffer.

Now days I know what that sickness is, and how to avoid letting it find a place in me. I've dealt with the poison of the past and can enjoy people, and life, and the world, even as crazy as they can sometimes be.

The cure for the hate-sickness is forgiveness. Starting with one's self, and spreading out from there. But it takes time and persistent effort, and it can't even start until we're willing to recognize that we've been poisoned by it.

I have a similar background and understand your sentiments. But again I think this is based the fact that you and I are using two different definitions for hate.

to dislike intensely or passionately; feel extreme aversion for or extreme hostility toward; detest: to hate the enemy; to hate bigotry.

One does not have to react in a hostile manner to the first part of the definition. This is my point. Hate is simply an intense dislike.

My mother has Alzheimer's. I hate the disease and what it is doing to her, but I do not hate my mother. Sometimes I have to be very firm with her because the disease makes it impossible for her to make good decisions for herself now, but this is not uneccessary hostility.

Now the kind of hate you are talking about is where someone takes this frustration and because of their own insecurities lashes out in a hostile manner unnecessarily.

In a similar manner I think you hate your alcoholism. You now have a strong aversion to alcoholism and the mentality that breeds it, right?

noguru

That would depend on the definition of hate being used and the context its being used in.

Hate according to the bible can be righteous, like hating sin, or unrighteous by hating a brother.

One is selfish and one is not. Hate is also defined in the bible as to love one thing less than another, not the hate like we typically today use the word.

So yes sometimes its not a bad thing.

Hey don't fool yourself son, we are all selfish. We do all things for our own reasons. The problem comes when people are selfish and self-absorbed at the same time. In this way they become resentful for what they believe they deserve but were not given, and lack any amount of gratitude for what they were given. The later being an ambient environment of the psyche that definitely breeds obsessive hatred.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Hey don't fool yourself son, we are all selfish. We do all things for our own reasons. The problem comes when people are selfish and self-absorbed at the same time. In this way they become resentful for what they believe they deserve but were not given, and lack any amount of gratitude for what they were given. The later being an ambient environment of the psyche that definitely breeds obsessive hatred.

Im female.

firon

PSALM 5:5 AND PSALM 11:5

PSALM 5:5 AND PSALM 11:5

The Scripture uses the term hate to express His refusal to have mercy on many

Nang

TOL Subscriber
But as people obviously pointed out before you, that's not all the Word of God has to say about it.

And the Word of God contains no contradictions.

So if the bible says hatred comes from sinful flesh, then other scriptures that speak of "hatreds" must mean the same thing, and we should strive to reconcile all scripture on the subject, not taking one verse from God's Word in order to justify or excuse wrong and hateful behavior.

Agreed?

Nang

PureX

I have a similar background and understand your sentiments. But again I think this is based the fact that you and I are using two different definitions for hate.
Yeah, I would reserve the term "hate" for something more intense than "to dislike" or "disapprove of", etc.,. For me to apply the term 'hate', there has to be an intent to do harm. Hate is characterized by malice.
My mother has Alzheimer's. I hate the disease and what it is doing to her, but I do not hate my mother. Sometimes I have to be very firm with her because the disease makes it impossible for her to make good decisions for herself now, but this is not uneccessary hostility.

Now the kind of hate you are talking about is where someone takes this frustration and because of their own insecurities lashes out in a hostile manner unnecessarily.
Yes, that's true. I don't feel as though I 'hate' anything or anyone. I don't like sickness, and injustice, and willful ignorance, and those kinds of things, but I don't 'hate' them. I would feel silly saying I 'hate' sin. It just sounds phony to me. If I use the word hate to refer to those things that I merely dislike, what word do I use for real, malicious, hatred?
In a similar manner I think you hate your alcoholism. You now have a strong aversion to alcoholism and the mentality that breeds it, right?
Yes, but a strong aversion is a strong aversion. I don't feel any hatred toward it. It's just something I know I must never to give way to.

Keep in mind I am also a philosophical taoist. I don't view our existence in terms of good and evil. It's just yin and yang. These are two sides of the same coin, to me, created be the way we humans 'understand' things. Assigning values to them is sort of naive.

When winter comes, many life forms die away. Does this make the winter "evil"? When disease occurs, we may suffer and even die. Does this make disease "evil"? Should I hate winter, or hate disease? I think to do that would be a bit silly. And what about the suffering caused by human foolishness? Like a war. Should I call war "evil", and hate it? Being taoist, I just can't bring myself to follow that mentality. What is, is. It's not for me to assign values to existence.

GuySmiley

And the Word of God contains no contradictions.

So if the bible says hatred comes from sinful flesh, then other scriptures that speak of "hatreds" must mean the same thing, and we should strive to reconcile all scripture on the subject, not taking one verse from God's Word in order to justify or excuse wrong and hateful behavior.

Agreed?

Nang
Agreed, but in this very post you seem to have done just that.

Last edited:

tudorturtl

I hate sin!!!!!!! because it is killing all the people that I love!
don't make light of it. it is death, and it would have held us all for eternity in it's cold arms, if not for the amazing grace of our Lord and Savior.
it would have had him too,if it could.
Death to sin! Long live the king of kings!

glorydaz

One does not have to react in a hostile manner to the first part of the definition. This is my point. Hate is simply an intense dislike.

You give two great examples of what it really means when we say we hate the sin but love the sinner. Your mom will be in my prayers.

noguru

Yeah, I would reserve the term "hate" for something more intense than "to dislike" or "disapprove of", etc.,. For me to apply the term 'hate', there has to be an intent to do harm. Hate is characterized by malice.
Yes, that's true. I don't feel as though I 'hate' anything or anyone. I don't like sickness, and injustice, and willful ignorance, and those kinds of things, but I don't 'hate' them. I would feel silly saying I 'hate' sin. It just sounds phony to me. If I use the word hate to refer to those things that I merely dislike, what word do I use for real, malicious, hatred?
Yes, but a strong aversion is a strong aversion. I don't feel any hatred toward it. It's just something I know I must never to give way to.

Keep in mind I am also a philosophical taoist. I don't view our existence in terms of good and evil. It's just yin and yang. These are two sides of the same coin, to me, created be the way we humans 'understand' things. Assigning values to them is sort of naive.

When winter comes, many life forms die away. Does this make the winter "evil"? When disease occurs, we may suffer and even die. Does this make disease "evil"? Should I hate winter, or hate disease? I think to do that would be a bit silly. And what about the suffering caused by human foolishness? Like a war. Should I call war "evil", and hate it? Being taoist, I just can't bring myself to follow that mentality. What is, is. It's not for me to assign values to existence.

Did you ever see "A Bronx Tale"? DeNiro's character keeps expressing to his son that the worst thing is lost potential. This does not mean it will not happen, this does not mean there won't be death and disease, and murder and killing. But we should take up "arms" (and not in a way to destroy more potential) in a passionate way against these things that lead to lost potential.

noguru

All of this often goes a long way towards justifying acting unpleasant.

Unpleasant is such a subjective word. One man's meat is another man's poison. Obviously following the golden rule is different to some Christians than it is to others. I have a much more secular stance on it, because I do not pretend to know other people's fate. That is between them and their maker, if they believe that sort of thing.