toldailytopic: Is hate always a bad thing?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for January 10th, 2012 10:40 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Apparently not.

Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 KJV
(1) To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:
(2) A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;
(3) A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;
(4) A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
(5) A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
(6) A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;
(7) A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
(8) A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.

At any given situation in your life, you should ask, "What time is it?"

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Luke 14:26 KJV
(26) If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
"Deliberate hatred is contrary to charity. Hatred of the neighbor is a sin when one deliberately wishes him evil. Hatred of the neighbor is a grave sin when one deliberately desires him grave harm. 'But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven.'97" (Catechism of the Catholic Church 2303).

"If any man say, I love God, and hateth his brother; he is a liar. For he that loveth not his brother, whom he seeth, how can he love God, whom he seeth not" (1 John 4:20).

"You have heard that it was said to them of old: Thou shalt not kill. And whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment. [Matthew 5:21] [Latin] [22] But I say to you, that whosoever is angry with his brother, shall be in danger of the judgment. And whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council. And whosoever shall say, Thou Fool, shall be in danger of hell fire" (Matthew 5:21-22).

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Great answers so far. :up:

So how do we distinguish righteous hate for unrighteous hate? :think:

All human persons are created in the image and likeness of God. As such, each person, insofar as he is created, is created good and is to be loved as God's creature. You never may hate a person, because there is no person whom God did not create and does not love, and not only loves, but loves to death.

In hating the person you will his negation. This is wrong and ungodlike. Rather, you should love the person, but hate his faults (which God did not create). But in hating the faults, you do not hate the person. Rather, you will for his faults to be corrected. You must will the good for all men (which is nothing short of complete moral perfection and happiness in God).

Looking Down the Cross - Megadeth

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Not always. I'll let the bible do the talking. There are two kinds of hate that the bible talks about.

There is Righteous hatred...Psalms 139:22 I hate them with perfect hatred; I count them my enemies

Then there is Unrighteous hatred...Leviticus 19:17 You shall not hate your brother in your heart. You shall surely rebuke your neighbor, and not bear sin because of him.

Romans 12:9 Let love be without hypocrisy. Abhor what is evil. Cling to what is good.

Christians are to hate what is evil. The politically correct act of loving evil behavior is actually unrighteously hating someone, yet hating evil is the most loving thing you could do for the sinner.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Rightly dividing righteous hatred from unrighteous hatred requires good judgement. :think:

Is it right to judge? :idunno:

I think it's pretty simple. If you hear a story or witness the events then all it takes is some careful investigation and the truth will likely be very simply found. Difficult to put into words or law, this truth, but usually pretty easy in practice.

We just, all of us, need more practice.

some other dude

Rightly dividing righteous hatred from unrighteous hatred requires good judgement. :think:

Is it right to judge? :idunno:

I think it's pretty simple. If you hear a story or witness the events then all it takes is some careful investigation and the truth will likely be very simply found. Difficult to put into words, this truth, but usually pretty easy in practice.

We just, all of us, need more practice.

thank goodness we get lots of practice here, eh? :chuckle:

noguru

Do you see a difference between hate and anger?

In my opinion they are very similar in their possible effect on us, but not the same thing. IOW, to be consumed by anger can make one uncontrolled and may lead to negligence against the inoccent. I think it is important to be aware of this. It is something I learned in the martial arts. To focus and control the aggression rather than become a victim to it.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I just hate it when I can't think of anything clever to say.

:IA:

No, I don't think all hate is bad. I think some of it can be quite productive. Hate motivates us to take action. Sometimes, obviously, this action can be bad. Othertimes it is for the benefit of all.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Nang, did you have a point to make??

Merely posting a link to a bible verse doesn't help us further the discussion much if you don't at least add some thought as to why you are posting the link.

The word of God says hate comes from the flesh, not from the Holy Spirit, so those who practice hatred will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Does my paraphrase help you get the point? :)

That is quite a stern and serious warning from the Lord, don't you think?

Nang

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Is hate always a bad thing?

yes

hate only hurts the hater

Christ's Word

Great answers so far. :up:

So how do we distinguish righteous hate for unrighteous hate? :think:

We must distinguish between the actions of God's creation and the God's created beings.......

Hating unrighteous behavior = Righteous hatred

Hating your neighbor = Unrighteous hatred