toldailytopic: If you became completely broke and had to start over what would you do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunder's Muse

A few years ago, my partner and I found ourselves homeless and broke.

We moved into my Mum's house, in a small garage converted into a room. All 5 of us crammed in this little space. My partner worked 70 hours a week for just over a year, with us saving like crazy.

We eventually brought a small place in the country, with a very small mortgage that we can easily manage (it's about half the average). We paid cash for our car. We don't have a lot of 'stuff' but we don't have a lot of debt, either. :)

csuguy

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for March 22nd, 2011 09:48 AM

toldailytopic: If you became completely broke and had to start over what would you do this time around?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Is this assuming that your debts went away too? :think:

If so I'd be a happy camper :D Of course, I think I'm too young to really answer this question since I'm still in college. Not many financial decisions I would change thus far. Although, I probably would go to a junior college to get my GE outta the way if I could do it over - much cheaper.

The Berean

Is this assuming that your debts went away too? :think:

If so I'd be a happy camper :D Of course, I think I'm too young to really answer this question since I'm still in college. Not many financial decisions I would change thus far. Although, I probably would go to a junior college to get my GE outta the way if I could do it over - much cheaper.

Are you currently attending Chico State? I'm a former "CSU guy' myself. :chuckle:

csuguy

Are you currently attending Chico State? I'm a former "CSU guy' myself. :chuckle:

Haha awesome! Yes I am currently attending Chico State. I'm in my 5th year. I'm hoping to graduate next spring - although depending upon whether a couple classes are offered or not next year I may be stuck here for an additional semester.

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
Been there, done that, twice.

First time I learned to save money instead of spending it like a drunken sailor. I also learned that when it comes to finding a job, sometimes you have to swallow your pride and take something that is below you to get the bills paid. Wish I would have thought about that sooner.

Second time I learned to be a bit more selective when it comes to finding a partner. It's the reason why I refuse to get myself involved with someone that doesn't have a job.

If it happened again, well I'm not sure. I don't have any credit cards. I try to live in my means.

Lucky

Hall of Fame
I'm not that far off from being completely broke. I do have some money saved up but I have to keep saving money for my mission trip to China and hope I can get enough financial help from friends to make up the difference. My view on money right now is to use as little as possible for myself while using the rest for the mission of sending the gospel to every nation. As a single guy, I have that gift of being able to live like that. I'm learning how to enjoy that gift.

bybee

A few years ago, my partner and I found ourselves homeless and broke.

We moved into my Mum's house, in a small garage converted into a room. All 5 of us crammed in this little space. My partner worked 70 hours a week for just over a year, with us saving like crazy.

We eventually brought a small place in the country, with a very small mortgage that we can easily manage (it's about half the average). We paid cash for our car. We don't have a lot of 'stuff' but we don't have a lot of debt, either. :)

You've got your head on straight!

bybee

I came into my marriage four years ago with nothing but a paid off car (which my dad bought me). I'm currently working at a part time temp job for minimum wage. So I guess essentially with my husband I would be totally broke. I'd try to get help for nursing school I suppose. It's something I'm capable of doing and it pays decent. It's probably what I should have done in the first place but I didn't realize until after I already had a Bachelor's in something else.

When I was in college in the Nursing program, several of my classmates already had degrees in other disciplines.
Make an appointment with an admissions person at the college of your choice. They may have some helpful suggestions for you.

The Berean

Haha awesome! Yes I am currently attending Chico State. I'm in my 5th year. I'm hoping to graduate next spring - although depending upon whether a couple classes are offered or not next year I may be stuck here for an additional semester.

Oh wait by "csu" do you mean Chico State University or California State University? :idunno: I'm the latter not the former. I graduated from Cal Poly. Were the same state school system though. :chuckle:

SaulToPaul 2

Oh wait by "csu" do you mean Chico State University or California State University? :idunno: I'm the latter not the former. I graduated from Cal Poly. Were the same state school system though. :chuckle:

Wonder how many 'csu's there are in the US...

Status
Not open for further replies.