toldailytopic: HURRICANE IRENE: discussion, updates, etc.

Mr. 5020

We have two hurricanes off the coast of wherever it is I am. :noway:

sup-2011-08-27-06-00.jpg
Holy moly, bro! Be safe!!

kmoney

Hall of Fame
We have two hurricanes off the coast of wherever it is I am. :noway:

You totally just topped us. You have 2 hurricanes, twice as many as us. Aren't you just special. :plain:

Thanks for stealing our thunder, topper. :mmph:

Oh, and be safe. :D

keypurr

I live on the coast of Rhode Island, and am now getting offline to pack up and go to my daughter's house through the storm. People are already hoarding things like water. Seems a bit of an over reaction, I think two days worth will be sufficient.

What's funny is, I am leaveing what is now predicted to be an area east of the eye (they were predicting her to come ashore pretty close to here, but now think she will go inland at Long Island) to go to my daughter's house in Connecticut where, if we believe the storm track, the eye should pass, well, directly over her house. LOL!!!

But no way am I leaving her alone through this and no way do I want to be alone through this. Last time my town flooded out there wasn't even a hurricane and it was just last year.

Stay in Christ, everyone. We don't want to be ashamed of ourselves when this passes in a couple days.

Meanwhile: there's BIG SCREEN TV in my near future!!:banana:

I know how you feel friend, I live in central Massachusettes, the eye should be close to us also. One on my daughters is living in a camp ground for the summer and refuses to go home for safety reasons. kids, sometimes ya wonder why we had them (only kidding).
So I am sitting and worring with my other daughter and my 14 year old grandson.
Peace

Ted L Glines

Just got off CNN. Looks pretty wild at Atlantic City now, but their reporters are over-dramatizing as usual. If CNN could have their way, Irene would be another Katrina. Ratings rule. Still, Irene is a bad one and I hope everyone in her path will be sensible and safe.

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
Just another example of what we're up against because so many of us are climate science deniers. The dreaded Al Gore warned us. This year we've had the worst tornadoes, floods, droughts and fires in history. And now a once-in-a-hundred-year hurricane in our most populated area. We can expect lots more of this. Batten down the hatches. Vote Republican, and don't worry, be happy.

And the libertarian crazies on this board, aren't you sad New York City has a mayor that prepared his city for these things, and that you have public agencies up and down the coast to help us? It is so silly to have governments. We don't need them! Yeah, dream on, libertarian crazies!
Slap a tax on them and invent another government agency. :darwinsm: Don't forget to send the hurricane a bill for services rendered.

eameece

Whine... Whine... whine. The only thing I didn't see is that it is George Bush's fault ... but it's the first time I've heard that Al Gore is a prophet.

I sort of think that scripture beat Al to the punch with the narrative about coming natural catastrophes upon the earth. Maybe Al has started reading scripture. ???

Well, it WAS George Bush's fault. :banana:
--- Among others who have blocked action on global warming.

Fortunately there are other sources of prophecy besides scripture, which in the case of the Bible only concerns events that happened 2000 years ago (Jesus correctly predicted, in effect, the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 AD). Other sources, starting with science, but also esoteric methods. :idea:

eameece

Slap a tax on them and invent another government agency. :darwinsm: Don't forget to send the hurricane a bill for services rendered.

No, we'll send YOU the bill. The agencies already exist; fortunately you reactionary guys haven't torn ALL of them to pieces yet!

jwp98

:rotfl: Yeah, kind of like Medical Research, who would have ever thought that taking a bath (staying clean) would become a vehicle for social change, when considering the complexity of infectious disease?

No one is required to agree with the possibilities that research may present, but does that mean we should ignore it?

Can't think what you mean about bathing. The early data about cigarette smoking, hotly and earnestly debated, would seem a better analogy.

That wasn't remotely my first post, but they keep getting sent to electron hell. Maybe I should take a hint?

I favor a cautious approach without severe economic implications.
I don't favor throwing out the baby with the bathwater with regard to religion or environmentalism. You could be a little more forceful than "agree...possibilities...may....ignore." It won't hurt my feelings :cool:

Ps82

Just like Irene was down graded ... so goes this thread; so, I'll just say:
Good night Irene. Good night. Good night Irene. Good night Irene; good night Irene. I'll see you in my dreams.

My friend in New Jersey in the Highrise made it through just fine. No broken windows or anything. Just a bit scary during the night.

eameece

Just like Irene was down graded ... so goes this thread; so, I'll just say:
Good night Irene. Good night. Good night Irene. Good night Irene; good night Irene. I'll see you in my dreams.
Wonderful song by a left-wing band that you guys tried to silence back in the day.

Ps82

Wonderful song by a left-wing band that you guys tried to silence back in the day.

I thought I was just being old-fashioned. My mother used to sing that ditty to me when I was young, and she wanted me to go to sleep. I thought it would just mean that Irene was over and being put to rest.

It's funny how easily a leftist liberal can turn just about anything into a whine.
One just never knows what sort of boogieman ideas are rattling around within a liberal's mind!

eameece

I thought I was just being old-fashioned. My mother used to sing that ditty to me when I was young, and she wanted me to go to sleep. I thought it would just mean that Irene was over and being put to rest.

It's funny how easily a leftist liberal can turn just about anything into a whine.
One just never knows what sort of boogieman ideas are rattling around within a liberal's mind!

I never miss a good opportunity.

Refractive

If I was living in Road Island I would be driving towards the Western side of Pa. or N.Y., today.
Only if my daughter lived there.

I am back home. We never even lost the lights here. Very unusual. Not so lucky at BGE's house, not much damage but many lines down, her power is still out, but there is power a couple blocks over, I am crossing my fingers it doesn't take long to get to her.

Praying for so many who were so hurt.

Refractive

I know how you feel friend, I live in central Massachusettes, the eye should be close to us also. One on my daughters is living in a camp ground for the summer and refuses to go home for safety reasons. kids, sometimes ya wonder why we had them (only kidding).
So I am sitting and worring with my other daughter and my 14 year old grandson.
Peace

How are your children? Everyone come through okay?

Speaking of kids and wondering why we bothered sometimes:

My daughter tells me there were two deaths on Connecticut. Boys who went to look at the storm surge and decided it didn't look that bad and jumped in.

Right.

I'm overwhelmed just imagining what their parents are going through.