toldailytopic: How old is the earth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No. But the periods of time may have been different per day. The first days could have been thousands of years, but not the day He created Adam.
Moses tells us that God created the heavens and the earth in six days. The creation account gives the reader the view that there was evening and morning (a day). It is being intellectually dishonest to make each day (yom) a variety of lengths of time.

What do you think God would think that we would think when He said "six days"?

How many days (yom) was Jonah in the belly of the fish? How many days was Jesus in the tomb? The word day was used, because it was a day, as man understands a day (24 hours).

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
For the record, I only have sex with someone that I am in a committed relationship with. What that, the clothes I wear or that I am currently drinking a Coke Zero has to do with how trustworthy I am is beyond me. Care to explain? With remarks like that I'm getting the impression that this argument might just be going well over your head.

Would I be more trustworthy if I studied science at Cambridge University?
It wouldn't matter where you went to school.

Any man... who wears women's clothing and has sex with other men is NOT trustworthy on any topic period. Sorry... but you have rendered yourself a pervert and therefore will be forever marginalized because of your personal judgment or lack thereof.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Moses tells us that God created the heavens and the earth in six days. The creation account gives the reader the view that there was evening and morning (a day). It is being intellectually dishonest to make each day (yom) a variety of lengths of time.

What do you think God would think that we would think when He said "six days"?

How many days (yom) was Jonah in the belly of the fish? How many days was Jesus in the tomb? The word day was used, because it was a day, as man understands a day (24 hours).

To me, the age of the earth isn't as important as knowing God created it. Why would the Bible tell us in a least two places I can think of that His time is different from our time, if there was not some need for us to know that?
We humans are so limited in our understanding of God and His ways that we will never understand in our time on Earth just how He brought it into being. I'm content to know He did. Everyone else can fight about the age if they want.

Granite

Hall of Fame
In an attempt to get back to the topic...

The preponderance of all available evidence indicates the planet is quite ancient. To say otherwise is an attempt to shoehorn science according to the whims of religion, which, to say the least, isn't a terribly scientific approach.

The rock's old, folks. Let's take care of it.

Any man... who wears women's clothing and has sex with other men is NOT trustworthy on any topic period. Sorry... but you have rendered yourself a pervert and therefore will be forever marginalized because of your personal judgment or lack thereof.

We don't even know if he has good fashion sense till he posts a picture of himself in a dress.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Old earth dating says some really funny things about known new items.

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned

Right, so this argument obviously has gone over your head. You don't even want to talk about the subject at hand with someone that went to one of the top schools in the world. Someone who spent most of their life studying the sciences. You'd much rather hurl insults and find any means you can out of it.

Why do you dwell on this one rather meaningless fact about me half of which you can't get right? Why does it bother you so that you have to completely derail the subject at hand? You jacked your own thread here, why?

To me, the age of the earth isn't as important as knowing God created it.
It's important to believe what God says.
Why would the Bible tell us in a least two places I can think of that His time is different from our time, if there was not some need for us to know that?
The point of those is to let us know that God is patient.

We humans are so limited in our understanding of God and His ways that we will never understand in our time on Earth just how He brought it into being.
Not about this, we are not. He told us how many days, and when (ages of those who lived). If He did it longer than six days, it would not have made it any less glorious. God does not have to prove Himself as great by making it sound like it was only six literal days, if it was not.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
The point of those is to let us know that God is patient.

It's not limited to that.

Not about this, we are not. He told us how many days, and when (ages of those who lived).
Obviously, they came after creation. Human life would be numbered in human days.

If He did it longer than six days, it would not have made it any less glorious.
God does not have to prove Himself as great by making it sound like it was only six literal days, if it was not.
You're creating a straw man. Let's be clear right up front that those are your words, and not part of any point I was making which would have lessened or limited God's greatness or glory.

Last edited:

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Right, so this argument obviously has gone over your head. You don't even want to talk about the subject at hand with someone that went to one of the top schools in the world. Someone who spent most of their life studying the sciences. You'd much rather hurl insults and find any means you can out of it.

Why do you dwell on this one rather meaningless fact about me half of which you can't get right? Why does it bother you so that you have to completely derail the subject at hand? You jacked your own thread here, why?

Because it's not OK to be gay....

... it's not OK to be a homo.
You shouldn't live that way.
God said it's a real big no-no. :nono:

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
I know.
BUT, does GOD ever say that the Earth is 6,000 years old? Does God specify that a "day" during creation is one of our 24 hour days?

It actually does define the days in cycles of day and night. Give it a little time and I'm sure someone can find the actual passages.

GoingGoldenWCU

It actually does define the days in cycles of day and night. Give it a little time and I'm sure someone can find the actual passages.

I understand that concept - it was morning, it was evening, the __ day. What I don't understand is why it HAS to be 24 hours. Is God confined by the conception of time - which is essentially a human construct?

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
I understand that concept - it was morning, it was evening, the __ day. What I don't understand is why it HAS to be 24 hours. Is God confined by the conception of time - which is essentially a human construct?

I think the whole idea that God is timeless and eternal doesn't bind him to time as humans understand it.

Or something like that.

GoingGoldenWCU

I think the whole idea that God is timeless and eternal doesn't bind him to time as humans understand it.

Or something like that.

I agree. Therefore...why is the Earth 6,000 years old if the "morning/evening" doesn't necessarily have to be 24 hours because God is outside of time?

Status
Not open for further replies.