toldailytopic: How many children is too many? Do you think it is wrong for couples to

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
im sure we have all seen population growth graphs.
Are you serious? Have you ever driven across country? Have you ever flown in an airplane? The space that humans occupy on this planet is just a tiny fraction as to what is available for us. God created a planet for us where we have plenty of room for growth. The more people there are the better the standard of living tends to be.

What do you think the end point might be?
I don't know, but based on the available room to grow we don't really need to worry about that do we?

Since you think there are too many people what do you suggest? What should we do to stop the population growth in your opinion?

Dena

I agree with Rusha. I think if you are going to have large families you should be careful about how much stuff you consume but everyone should be doing that anyway. I'm the kind of person who likes a quiet, mellow peaceful existence. We're not likely to have many children. I'd be happy with 1-2 biological babies. I also want to adopt at some point.

Alate_One

Are you serious? Have you ever driven across country? Have you ever flown in an airplane? The space that humans occupy on this planet is just a tiny fraction as to what is available for us. God created a planet for us where we have plenty of room for growth. The more people there are the better the standard of living tends to be.
Have you ever thought about how much of that area we are using to create what the rest of us need to live on?

If all human beings were living as people do in subsaharan Africa you might have a point but since we aren't and most people do not actually WANT to live in near starvation conditions eating small amounts of beans and corn every day with no technological devices or electricity.

I don't know, but based on the available room to grow we don't really need to worry about that do we?
It isn't about "room". Most of the places you've flown over are already producing food, clothing or raw materials for people living in cities. Fill those wild areas with people and there's no space to grow food. Plus there is no place for people to enjoy themselves away from other people.

You have the Soylent Green scenario.

Since you think there are too many people what do you suggest? What should we do to stop the population growth in your opinion?
Encourage people to have fewer children. Education of women in other countries tends to accomplish this as well as access to birth control. The birth rate in more developed countries tends to drop below replacement levels (2.1 children per women). This seems to happen naturally due to industrialization, partly because children become an expense rather than an important source of labor and a social safety net.

Bottom line is population simply cannot increase forever, its mathematically impossible.

Having around two kids is plenty, but so long as the overall fertility rate is at or less than replacement, the occasional baby boom family is not a problem.

Considering I'm not only the only child but the only grandchild for one side of our family, I'm okay with several kids . . . not sure how many I'll be able to put up with.

Prisca

Pain Killer
Super Moderator
How would you respond to folks that say things like....

“The greatest thing anyone in Britain could do to help the future of the planet would be to have one less child.” - John Guillebaud, co-chairman of OPT and emeritus professor of family planning at University College London

I'd say, "I wish your mom had started this before she had you!"

Prisca

Pain Killer
Super Moderator
That's the opposite of my wife and I's decision making process.

We have always thought that if we wanted the blessing of a new child we would find a way to provide.

So many couples we know employ your strategy and they are never "ready" and are never happy because they are too focused on the logistics. Focus on the love of the child and the logistics take care of themselves. :thumb:
Thank you for the wonderful nephews and nieces!

Prisca

Pain Killer
Super Moderator
I wish I'd had more children, but having graduated from a public university, I bought into the propaganda. I originally wanted two, while my husband wanted six.

After the first two, I realized I wanted more. We ended up compromising at four.

Then I became a Christian and began educating myself of the true statistical data. Knowing what I know now, I would have had several more.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
The direct and immediate author of the human person is the Divine Creator. Ask Him. :idunno:

BEST and only accurate answer thus far . . .

God alone determines births.

Couples can work to prevent births, which will only prove to be a judgment against them on that Day.

Couples can be blessed with children, despite physical complications.

Creator God alone determines the existence of every soul. . . not we creatures.

Therefore, none of us are to judge if a married couple who have a great number of children have too many, or if another couple who have none, are somehow cursed.

Not our business, at all!

For God does not bless one couple of umpteen children, over the childless (although this is a common sin committed by many to count one's seed as showing God's special favor to them.)

All the spiritual sons of God are blessed apart from issues of reproduction, as I read the Scriptures.

The command from God was to be fruitful and multiply. One can multiply by twenty and others can multiply by one and others can fail to multiply by the providential hand of God which makes compliance to this command impossible.

The grace of God covers all these complications of the flesh. Thank His goodness!

Nang

Layla

That's the opposite of my wife and I's decision making process.

We have always thought that if we wanted the blessing of a new child we would find a way to provide.

So many couples we know employ your strategy and they are never "ready" and are never happy because they are too focused on the logistics. Focus on the love of the child and the logistics take care of themselves. :thumb:

While I see your point, and have no issue with yours and your wife's approach, a large number of women (and some couples) have the child yet still never bother to ponder how they'll provide for it. And end up living off benefits. I generally don't agree that people should have more children than they are able to properly care for, but hey; it's not up to me, so they're still free to do as they like.

As for myself; I want a big family. At least three children, if not more. I won't have them until I'm in a position to provide for them (at least age 30, by my estimation), though.

ghost

Hall of Fame
There is no such thing as a prevented birth.

God can easily overrule birth prevention.
Just to be clear, are you saying that if it was against God's will for someone to abort their child, He would overrule them, correct?

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
Well there's got to be a biological reason why humans give birth to on child at a time, normally, and not give birth to litters.

But how many really is too many? I'd say more than one can take care of, provide for and properly raise. However many that is. I don't have any children yet, but we have talked about adopting one or two after we get married.

Last edited:

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Just to be clear, are you saying that if it was against God's will for someone to abort their child, He would overrule them, correct?

Abortion is always against God's will. Abortion is murder.

But then you do not believe in acknowledging the law of God, do you?

So perhaps I should put the question to you . . .is it against God's will for someone to abort their child? And will, or can, God have the power to overrule this gross sin of lawlessness?

Nang

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
An open womb is always portrayed as a blessing in Scripture. Hence, a full quiver is one that blesses. Be fruitful and multiply was not an empty command.

AMR

Prisca

Pain Killer
Super Moderator
Im from China.
I was just giving a couple of examples. The first article was about the Philippines, the second deals with worldwide population statistics.

The global replacement level fertility (RLF) rate is about 2.33 births per woman. This rate would result in replacement only. That means the population would stay relatively the same. A rate of 2.1 would result in a loss of population. In China, the rate has dropped to somewhere between 1.4 and 1.9. Worldwide, the rate is about 2.56.

For other interesting facts, check out https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/xx.html

Status
Not open for further replies.