toldailytopic: How many children is too many? Do you think it is wrong for couples to

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for November 22nd, 2010 10:24 AM

toldailytopic: How many children is too many? Do you think it is wrong for couples to have more than 4 or 5 kids?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Aimiel

My mom was one of thirteen, and several of my relatives had eight or ten kids. I have six. I don't think there is such a thing as too many. The record for one mother is 26. That's a LOT! I have a neighbor who decided four was enough, when his wife had triplets, and worked with a woman who had three boys and then one day brought home three more from the hospital. She had her tubes tied and her husband had a vasectomy. They didn't want to take ANY chances. She was a GREAT source of clothing and other baby items, as her triplets were two years old when my first baby was born.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
How would you respond to folks that say things like....

“The greatest thing anyone in Britain could do to help the future of the planet would be to have one less child.” - John Guillebaud, co-chairman of OPT and emeritus professor of family planning at University College London

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I think that couples should have as many children as they can take care of. By take care of, I am referring to physical, emotional, and financial care.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
How would you respond to folks that say things like....

“The greatest thing anyone in Britain could do to help the future of the planet would be to have one less child.” - John Guillebaud, co-chairman of OPT and emeritus professor of family planning at University College London

I would respond "Anyone who believes this should apply that standard to themselves and be sterilized because they are unworthy of having children".

Aimiel

He just ought to go ahead and commit suicide, to have a real effect on the 'surplus population' that he and Ebenezer Scrooge are so concerned about.

Nydhogg

I'm not the kind of guy that tells others what to do.

I'm sure large families can be problematic, and I think having 2-3 kids is ideal, but to each his own.

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If things had worked out the way I wished they would have, I would have had a minimum of four children. But, I don't think that everyone should have four or more children. In fact, there are people (some in my own family) that shouldn't have had any children.

Granite

Hall of Fame
I think that couples should have as many children as they can take care of. By take care of, I am referring to physical, emotional, and financial care.

Agreed. Having a child for the sake of having a child regardless of the consequences or the quality of the child's life is reckless, irresponsible, and idiotic. Make sure you can provide, then go for it.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Agreed. Having a child for the sake of having a child regardless of the consequences or the quality of the child's life is reckless, irresponsible, and idiotic. Make sure you can provide, then go for it.
That's the opposite of my wife and I's decision making process.

We have always thought that if we wanted the blessing of a new child we would find a way to provide.

So many couples we know employ your strategy and they are never "ready" and are never happy because they are too focused on the logistics. Focus on the love of the child and the logistics take care of themselves. :thumb:

Granite

Hall of Fame
That's the opposite of my wife and I's decision making process.

We have always thought that if we wanted the blessing of a new child we would find a way to provide.

So many couples we know employ your strategy and they are never "ready" and are never happy because they are too focused on the logistics. Focus on the love of the child and the logistics take care of themselves. :thumb:

And if thatworks for you, great. I'd say someone living in a slum or ghetto would be best to figure out something else. I know family "planning" has a negative connotation--as well it should--but family "prudence" or another phrase isn't necessarily a bad idea, either. Especially with so many people juggling debt, student loans, an upside mortgage, and who knows what else afflicts couples in a recession-era economy.

P.S. I'm the oldest of seven and don't really know how exactly my folks decided when and if to welcome an addition.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
And if thatworks for you, great. I'd say someone living in a slum or ghetto would be best to figure out something else. I know family "planning" has a negative connotation--as well it should--but family "prudence" or another phrase isn't necessarily a bad idea, either. Especially with so many people juggling debt, student loans, an upside mortgage, and who knows what else afflicts couples in a recession-era economy.

P.S. I'm the oldest of seven and don't really know how exactly my folks decided when and if to welcome an addition.
We always tell folks that if you are waiting until you can afford a child you will never be able to have a child.

And it's true... you can always think of reasons as to why you cannot not afford a child.

But the truth is... good parents will always find a way to provide. Therefore what we should be promoting is good parenting not child-avoidance.

BabyChristian

toldailytopic: How many children is too many? Do you think it is wrong for couples to have more than 4 or 5 kids?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

As long at the govt. doesn't have to support them and the parents are mentally stable and able to give them whatever they need, it's up to them.

If we don't start procreating more, Muslims will take over the world.

Europe and America are not even replacing a mom and dad with 2 kids on the average and Muslims are having an average of 8 kids.

The Berean

As long at the govt. doesn't have to support them and the parents are mentally stable and able to give them whatever they need, it's up to them.

If we don't start procreating more, Muslims will take over the world.

Europe and America are not even replacing a mom and dad with 2 kids on the average and Muslims are having an average of 8 kids.
As I already told chrystom we "Mexicans" will out baby :baby: the "muzzies"! No need to worry. :DK:

And by the way I am not aware of any group that averages eight children. Not even us "Mexicans".

taikoo

im sure we have all seen population growth graphs.

What do you think the end point might be?

Status
Not open for further replies.