toldailytopic: How do you explain Déjà vu?

IXOYE

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for August 10th, 2011 09:35 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

French shrooms.

Nuff said.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
When I was in graduate school, a neurologist told us it was "reverberating circuits" where the experience immediately went into memory, and then popped back into consciousness.

He told us that if it happened frequently, that was not a good sign. It's a common symptom of temporal lobe epilepsy.

Don't remember what "frequently" was, now.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
it-s-like-deja-vu-all-over-again-yogi-berra_design.png

Can't have a deja vu thread without mentioning Yogi Berra

Ted L Glines

:shocked: I had a strong moment of deja vu today.

It is always very strange. Something with the brain not differentiating between a the current situation and a very similar memory. :idunno:

This sounds more correct than anything else I've heard. Either that, or Yoda is zapping us with the Force :thumb:

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
:readthis:

Ecclesiastes 1
(9) The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.

fool

Hall of Fame
Like Squishes said it's a feed back loop, your brain is laying down track and picking it back up at the same time.
Microphone next to speaker kind of thing.

graceandpeace

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for August 10th, 2011 09:35 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

....because God foreknew TOL....:shut:

Dena

When I was in graduate school, a neurologist told us it was "reverberating circuits" where the experience immediately went into memory, and then popped back into consciousness.

He told us that if it happened frequently, that was not a good sign. It's a common symptom of temporal lobe epilepsy.

Don't remember what "frequently" was, now.

That sounds sensible. I wouldn't say I have it frequently, maybe a couple times a month but when I do it's so weird!

some other dude

(A) possible explanation for the phenomenon of déjà vu is the occurrence of "cryptamnesia", which is where information learned is forgotten but nevertheless stored in the brain, and similar occurrences invoke the contained knowledge, leading to a feeling of familiarity because of the situation, event or emotional/vocal content, known as "déjà vu"...

I like the imagery this explanation evokes - one of random memories lost in the brain, accessible only by chance.

graceandpeace

I like the imagery this explanation evokes - one of random memories lost in the brain, accessible only by chance.

yeah...and, I think alot of them might come from dreams we have had...but forgotten...but, the memory is still there, none the less. When it rises up our of the ashes of our minds, we might think it is a real memory, due to it being close to something that is occuring in our life at the given moment.