toldailytopic: How do you explain Déjà vu?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for August 10th, 2011 09:35 AM

toldailytopic: How do you explain Déjà vu?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Whoa! Deja vu! They played the same tune at the last wedding I was at.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
:shocked: I had a strong moment of deja vu today.

It is always very strange. Something with the brain not differentiating between a the current situation and a very similar memory. :idunno:

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
:shocked: I had a strong moment of deja vu today.

It is always very strange. Something with the brain not differentiating between a the current situation and a very similar memory. :idunno:

^^^^
This :plain:

Son of Jack

I feel like I've had this conversation before...:think:

I've read elo's link about precognition, which was pretty interesting stuff, and I think there may also be an element of what kmo has suggested in it.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I have a word of the day calendar and that was it. :noid:
I had one of those, but it turned into an insidious liberal plot to subvert my inbox. So I stopped it. :)

Now I don't know anything.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Something with the brain not differentiating between a the current situation and a very similar memory. :idunno:
I think that is the best explanation.

Either that or we are all Siamese twins completely connected (from head to toe) and occasionally our thoughts get out of sync with our internal twin. Makes perfect sense to me. :noid:

elohiym

Either that or we are all Siamese twins completely connected (from head to toe)...

The Bible states that we are one and part of the same body, so maybe there is some truth to that. There are a number of verses regarding that concept.

Squishes

The brain (unlike a computer) does not have separate mechanisms for processing and memory. The same units that process information also store information (with a few exceptions, perhaps).

Our best guess is that deja vu is a sort of fusing between elements of processing information and retrieving information which occasionally produces the phenomenal sensation of recollection.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
The brain (unlike a computer) does not have separate mechanisms for processing and memory. The same units that process information also store information (with a few exceptions, perhaps).

Our best guess is that deja vu is a sort of fusing between elements of processing information and retrieving information which occasionally produces the phenomenal sensation of recollection.

Can you imagine a brain defect where you felt recollection all the time? :shocked:

some other dude

(A) possible explanation for the phenomenon of déjà vu is the occurrence of "cryptamnesia", which is where information learned is forgotten but nevertheless stored in the brain, and similar occurrences invoke the contained knowledge, leading to a feeling of familiarity because of the situation, event or emotional/vocal content, known as "déjà vu"...

I like the imagery this explanation evokes - one of random memories lost in the brain, accessible only by chance.