toldailytopic: Have you played a musical instrument? If so which one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
Guitar, mandolin, harmonica, native american flute.
I dont claim to be "good" on any of them.
Oh also steel guitar when I was a kid. Not sure how that happened. Parents put me in lessons, I didnt really like it much.

unknown

Guitar
Bass
Banjo
Mandolin
Dobro
Pedal Steel Guitar
keyboard
Drums
Harmonica
Flute
Clarinet
Sax

Let's Jam !

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I played the clarinet in my junior high band. And, I tried learning how to play the piano and the guitar in more recent years. I really want to learn how to play the guitar.

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
I started playing the piano when I was 5. One of my mom's friends that lived in the neighbourhood had a piano in her home and used to teach me.
When I was in middle school, I took band and played oboe and clarinet. I continued with band through high school.
Then I bought myself a guitar and taught myself how to play it. I jammed with my friends. Played and sang with a few local bands. Never really went anywhere with it though.
About 11 years ago I was introduced to The Crüxshadows. They quickly became my favourite band, still to this day. Their music inspired me to pick up a violin. A violin that I am now looking to replace with an electric. Preferably a Keebler.
I also sing and muck about with drum machines and analogue synths.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for May 9th, 2011 10:21 AM

toldailytopic: Have you played a musical instrument? If so which one?

I played the alto sax in high school, i also dabbled at the bass guitar and played in a band. I wasn't very good and one night while jammin some guy picked up my bass and started playing so I picked up the mic and started singing. That settled it, I was a better singer than a bassist so, from then on I sang for the band. that was a very long time ago. I only sing for the Lord now, and maybe in the shower. :chuckle:

Buzzword

Does anyone else have a lot of musicians in their family?

My dad plays trumpet, my mom plays piano, my sister-in-law plays oboe, my aunt plays clarinet, my great-aunt plays piano and banjo, my older brother plays guitar and drums in a band, I have a second-cousin who plays clarinet.........................

...yeah, musical family.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame

My dad plays trumpet, my mom plays piano, my sister-in-law plays oboe, my aunt plays clarinet, my great-aunt plays piano and banjo, my older brother plays guitar and drums in a band, I have a second-cousin who plays clarinet.........................

...yeah, musical family.
Every generation of my father's family has produced a few musicians, to hear the family tell it. On my mother's side it's spottier, but it shows up with natural musicians, possessing the ear and the ability to pick up an instrument easily and without formal training.

One Eyed Jack

I used to play guitar. I had a Westone Dynasty (looked awesome, sounded mediocre) and I believe an XA1440 (looked mediocre, sounded great).

Quincy

...yeah, musical family.

Yes sir. My grandfather and his brothers had a bluegrass band that got a lot of radio time. My cousin's husband is in another bluegrass band and my aunt sings in many local venues, she often interchanges local talent to help get unknown people more exposure. That is one of my fondest memories as a child, just staying with my grandfather on the weekends and watching them all have marathon jam sessions.

ragTagblues

I am a guitarist of course, mainly acoustic however I do enjoy a good rock out on the electric . . . .

I have dabbled with the bass and can hold my own, which isn't surprising consider the similarities to a guitar, although guitarists turned bassist are rarely as good as the real thing . . . .

I can play a couple of really basic songs on the piano . . . .

I am fortunately blessed with a good ear and don't find it particularly hard to pick up an instrument and play it . . . .

My dream is to play the Trumpet, something I have never tried, as I am a huge Miles Davis and Chris Botti fan!?! One day maybe I will.

One Eyed Jack

I used to play guitar. I had a Westone Dynasty (looked awesome, sounded mediocre) and I believe an XA1440 (looked mediocre, sounded great).

Actually, I think the second one was an XA 1330CY. In any case, it had a strat-style body and a reversed headstock. I miss that guitar.

Here's a pic.

Last edited:

Layla

I used to play the piano pretty well, but I haven't practised in years so I doubt I'm much good anymore.

MrRadish

Accordion and, years ago, the double bass. Going to be getting some singing lessons soon as well. I'm more of a composer though really!

Four O'Clock

I have dabbled with the bass and can hold my own, which isn't surprising consider the similarities to a guitar, although guitarists turned bassist are rarely as good as the real thing . . . .
I always like to think an electric bass is a BASS, more similar to an upright bass than to an electric guitar. Many 'rock' bass guitarists simply play the bottom of a tune with little or no counterpoint, etc. AND use a pick exclusively.
True bass playing should virtually always be played with the fingers.
My weak $0.02

P.S. Saw Jethro Tull at a small venue here in Indy in 3/71. Started a year's worth of flute lessons a few months later. Still play from time to time. I often sit in our walk-in closet. The acoustics in there are great.
Started piano lessons with my grandmother when I was 5; didn't stick with it (I think one of my biggest mistakes). I had an ear for music even at that age. I used to love the classical music in those b&w cartoons shown on Capt. Kangaroo in the late 50's.

Status
Not open for further replies.