toldailytopic: Has our society become too politically correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for October 21st, 2010 02:20 PM

toldailytopic: Has our society become too politically correct?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Wunderhund

I'm sure you are probably looking for more than just a one word answer, but YES! Society is too politically correct.

No more Christmas trees, holiday tress if you please.

Displaying the American flag here in the USA might be too offensive for some.

No more keeping score at soccer games for kids. Everybody is a winner and we do not want to hurt little Johnny or little Sally's feelings bcause they lost.

I could go on all day.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Jesse Jackson once said.... "There is nothing more painful to me at this stage in my life than to walk down the street and hear footsteps and start thinking about robbery then look around and see somebody white and feel relieved."

He was merely airing his true and honest opinion just as Juan Williams was, but in this politically correct climate Juan Williams gets the boot!

Granite

Hall of Fame
As an example NPR's Jaun Williams is fired for airing his opinion.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi...r_fired_him_for_making_bigoted_statement.html

Do you think he should have been fired for such comments?

Absolutely not. I'm not a huge fan of either Williams or NPR but his dismissal was completely out of line.

As a society we've become overly sensitive to many things and overall--while not at, say, the level we saw in the 1990s--I'd say we're still too PC for our own good. A truly free society does not feel stifled when it chooses to speak.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Politics is, or it should be, a practical profession. Is it practical? Then it is what it is; I do not see what the term 'correct' applies, unless, by being practical one argues it is correct, then correct for who? That answer would be for the politician.

Buzzword

I think before continuing we need to define "political correctness," just to set some foundation from which to work.

Webster's definition:
conforming to a belief that language and practices which could offend political sensibilities (as in matters of sex or race) should be eliminated

Interesting that most of the censorship done allegedly in the name of "political correctness" have almost no real political (i.e. governmental) basis, such as getting rid of Christmas trees.

I think a better term for the overall phenomenon would be "sociologically sensitive," because most of the issues I've seen addressed as being "too politically correct" had more to do sociology (how people relate to one another) than politics.

Now, all that being said, it seems to come and go.

We haven't heard about someone protesting a nativity scene in awhile, yet they're still popping up in front of banks, post offices, etc.

Jesse Jackson hasn't been yelling on TV in awhile, and I don't think I've heard the phrase "affirmative action" anywhere (except on TOL) in at least a year.

It's possible that the entire phenomenon of trying to enforce sociological sensitivity has gone or is going poof, as more and more educated Americans are realizing how ridiculous its end-result (censorship of free speech, and basically walking on eggshells constantly) really is.

Doesn't stop individuals from continuing to cry leftist/rightist conspiracy, though.

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
I think Juan Williams' firing was completely ridiculous. And I don't even like the guy.

What's even more troubling to me is the response to it I'm seeing in other places than this, where folks aren't quite so discerning. The vitriol and absolute hatred being expressed toward Williams over this is just stunning. Insanely disproportionate to even the perceived offense on his part.

I've always had this theory that every generation has it's commonly accepted and approved bigotries. I certainly think we have two or three these days. It's becoming apparent to me that this illustrates another. On the forum I just came from there's a four page thread, well over a couple hundred posts, all uniformly expressing the most vile sentiments toward Juan Williams for the most heinous crime of...being uncomfortable around a certain group of people.

It's just nuts. So much so that I'm amazed that none of them can see how completely hypocritical that is. I didn't see a single post in there that didn't express a thousand times more hatred for him than he could ever be accused of harboring for muslims or probably anyone else. And no one was even bother to inflate his offense out to anything more than it was...simply being uncomfortable around Muslims. That alone was enough to justify reviling and dehumanizing him.

Just insane. :nono:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Has our society become too politically correct?

Well, to put it out there without regard for any sensibility, [redacted]

:shocked:

As an example NPR's Jaun Williams is fired for airing his opinion.

Do you think he should have been fired for such comments?

Sure. NPR is a business with a certain image they've invested time and energy into developing. Williams understands that. Would I have fired him? No. But I can understand their doing it.

MrRadish

I think 'Political Correctness' is rather a nebulous term that tends to get bandied about to apply to any sensitivity to which one personally objects. But overall, while I think there are some instances in which 'Political Correctness' is misapplied or taken too far, it is, on the whole, vastly preferable to people being openly racist, homophobic and sexist as many tended to be in the '50s and earlier. I think it's a good thing that today, for example, most people would be shocked to see a comedian use the 'n-word' in an insulting way, whereas half a century ago, jokes about black people were a staple of comedy. I think that in its broadest sense, political correctness has brought really quite significant improvements to people's lives, although at times it's also been detrimental.

A favourite comedian of mine, Stewart Lee, does a particularly good routine on political correctness, but you won't find it amusing unless you agree with it.

The Berean

I think 'Political Correctness' is rather a nebulous term that tends to get bandied about to apply to any sensitivity to which one personally objects. But overall, while I think there are some instances in which 'Political Correctness' is misapplied or taken too far, it is, on the whole, vastly preferable to people being openly racist, homophobic and sexist as many tended to be in the '50s and earlier. I think it's a good thing that today, for example, most people would be shocked to see a comedian use the 'n-word' in an insulting way, whereas half a century ago, jokes about black people were a staple of comedy. I think that in its broadest sense, political correctness has brought really quite significant improvements to people's lives, although at times it's also been detrimental.

A favourite comedian of mine, Stewart Lee, does a particularly good routine on political correctness, but you won't find it amusing unless you agree with it.

It's become so politically correct that we can't even spell out the "n-word" any more? :think:

Selaphiel

Modern western secular society is a society of image, and in such a society perception trumps substance, honesty and truth. Companies, political parties and whoever else are worried that their image will get hurt if they can be perceived as bigoted or racist and today such perceptions can easily arise through rumors that spread like wildfire with our communications.

A society of image is a disease, I absolutely can not stand it. It is a form of censorship, at least in effect and it trades off substance and truth for perception because perception rules the market.

It is absolutely ridiculous that Williams got fired.

MrRadish

It's become so politically correct that we can't even spell out the "n-word" any more? :think:

I have known people to be offended by it. In a conversation with people who I knew weren't likely to be so, I would simply use the word (as I'm not using it to abuse someone). However, as this is an internet forum, we are in the very epitome of mixed company. So I err on the side of caution.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I think before continuing we need to define "political correctness," just to set some foundation from which to work.

Webster's definition:

Interesting that most of the censorship done allegedly in the name of "political correctness" have almost no real political (i.e. governmental) basis, such as getting rid of Christmas trees.

I think a better term for the overall phenomenon would be "sociologically sensitive," because most of the issues I've seen addressed as being "too politically correct" had more to do sociology (how people relate to one another) than politics.

Now, all that being said, it seems to come and go.

We haven't heard about someone protesting a nativity scene in awhile, yet they're still popping up in front of banks, post offices, etc.

Jesse Jackson hasn't been yelling on TV in awhile, and I don't think I've heard the phrase "affirmative action" anywhere (except on TOL) in at least a year.

It's possible that the entire phenomenon of trying to enforce sociological sensitivity has gone or is going poof, as more and more educated Americans are realizing how ridiculous its end-result (censorship of free speech, and basically walking on eggshells constantly) really is.

Doesn't stop individuals from continuing to cry leftist/rightist conspiracy, though.

In this case, "sociologically sensitive" would be value free and therefore definable without conflict, since there is no known attachment of value.

Then one must realise that sociology is related to politics, thus they are not mutually exclusive. Any definition of "sociologically sensitive" would impact on both sociology and politics.

The Berean

Why would you? Why would anyone want to?

That's not PC, that's just polite.

There could be a few valid reasons. For instance if one were to quote a passage from Huckleberry Finn using that word would that be considered impolite or racist? :idunno:

The Berean

I have known people to be offended by it. In a conversation with people who I knew weren't likely to be so, I would simply use the word (as I'm not using it to abuse someone). However, as this is an internet forum, we are in the very epitome of mixed company. So I err on the side of caution.

Fair enough. :up:

zippy2006

Absolutely not. I'm not a huge fan of either Williams or NPR but his dismissal was completely out of line.

As a society we've become overly sensitive to many things and overall--while not at, say, the level we saw in the 1990s--I'd say we're still too PC for our own good. A truly free society does not feel stifled when it chooses to speak.

'greed :shocked:

Granite

Hall of Fame
There could be a few valid reasons. For instance if one were to quote a passage from Huckleberry Finn using that word would that be considered impolite or racist? :idunno:

That may be an acceptable case but I wouldn't advise anyone a lighter shade of onyx to walk down Woodward Avenue day or night and use the word freely. Unless you have inoperable cancer.

Status
Not open for further replies.