toldailytopic: GI Jane: Should women be allowed to serve in combat roles in the armed

The Berean

As a younger woman and especially as a teen I was athletic as any man I know, in case that one was used. I haven't read this thread, don't want to.
With all due respect BC I find that hard to believe. Were you as strong, as fast, as explosive, and as agile as the best male athletes in your high school?

Alate_One

So the problem would be the labor market not growing as fast as the population. Not overpopulation. :duh:
Is the end of the same problem. If you'd watched the video you'd have seen that Europe's wages are rising faster than ours probably partly because they have had slower population growth over the same period of time. It may be population growth in the US that underlies the stagnant wages of the middle class. (Well that and ballooning executive pay).

But rather than address that, you'd put women in combat roles so they can die and we can whittle the numbers down a bit. Because, yeah, that's a great way to fix that labor market thing. :rolleyes:
No, that wasn't a purpose at all. (Why do you assume these things?) That was elohiym's objection to putting women in combat, that they might get killed and then we'd have to worry about humans going extinct. Which I said was nonsense since we have the opposite problem.

Right, that's not another earth and you'd have to get the materials to build it from somewhere. You're unwilling to face the fact that the earth is a finite resource and for the most part we are stuck living here for the foreseeable future. There is no way we could build enough space habitat in the amount of time we would need it to offload enough of our population at current growth rates. Thankfully growth rates are dropping.

No, I just think the people should be taught how to be soldiers. In case they need to be someday. Needn't even necessarily be assigned combat roles or spend any actual time in the military (beyond basic training) for that matter. I just like the idea of an invading army facing a city full of civilians who've at least been through basic training. And are armed, since I'm a big supporter of the second amendment.
I don't necessarily disagree there though if the taxpayer is footing the bill I'm looking at things that would be more immediately needed than the "just in case" scenario.

Christ's Word

I'm not sure what your point is here.....a woman died while flying a plane so they shouldn't be in combat roles?

Or, since the article mentions that the crash was probably due to pilot error, are you suggesting that women aren't capable of serving in these roles so we shouldn't let women try?

There is a lot more to the Tomcat crashes with female pilots than is popularly discussed. The percentage of female pilot crashes in this jet are off the charts when compared to men on a per hour flown basis. It was so bad the men REO's eventually refused to fly with any female pilots in the Tomcat. There are many reasons for this, and some of them are political, and others are logistical in nature.

If a woman meets ALL, the proficiency standards for men in a particular MOS, there are only a few things that should exclude her from being treated equally. The largest of which is the environment. If the job requires an expeditionary environment, she should be excluded. When women can not bathe and or shower every other day, too many are lost to urinary tract infections and bladder infections, and once those set in, she is useless to the mission. The other environments include those that there are significant pressure changes....UDT, Combat Diver, S.E.A.L. teams, Halo/HaHo type of work. This is because of differences in gas absorption and discharge rates of female tissues. Since SOF forces often include one or more of the above activities and environments, females are excluded. The top 5 percent of females in DOD have the athletic ability and mental capacity to be above the mean performance of men in many MOS's. These women should not be discriminated against unless there are specific problems where bottom line performance is actually affected.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
So Christ's Word leaves this holy red gem

"Naive pig."

as a rep present for my response a bit earlier:

Should women be allowed to serve...

Sure. Men have to eat. Even in combat situations. :TomO:

I'm so not getting female rep for that one. :plain:

Apparently humor, much like reason, isn't her forte. :nono: Good grief.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER

"Naive pig."

Yet another liberal mocking military personnel, or in this case, the mother of one.

Alate_One

God made women with an innate maternal instinct, to nurture, not to kill (unless it's absolutely necessary, and in today's day and age, it isn't).
No offense but I don't think you've been around enough women to say this from actual experience. My experience has been rather different.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by aCultureWarrior
God made women with an innate maternal instinct, to nurture, not to kill (unless it's absolutely necessary, and in today's day and age, it isn't).

No offense but I don't think you've been around enough women to say this from actual experience. My experience has been rather different.

Notice that I didn't write: Based on my experience, I think that...

Why then, throughout the history of civilization, have women not been in combat roles, but instead nurtured her family?

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Yeah, that's why Mary Contrary thought it was funny. Because she's a liberal and appreciates anyone mocking the military.

Well then, if Mary thought it was funny...

Obviously Christ's Word knows more about military readiness than you.
If not, make your case.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Well then, if Mary thought it was funny...
Sometimes a cigar is just a metaphor.

Obviously Christ's Word knows more about military readiness than you.
Obvious how? In the same way the meaning and intent of the joke was obvious to the two of you when you had it wrong? :chuckle:

If not, make your case.
To what end? I wasn't aware we were having a military awareness-off. I thought that was next month. :plain:

Christ's Word

Sometimes a cigar is just a metaphor.

Obvious how? In the same way the meaning and intent of the joke was obvious to the two of you when you had it wrong? :chuckle:

To what end? I wasn't aware we were having a military awareness-off. I thought that was next month. :plain:

News FLASH!.... You are not funny, just clueless. All you do is mock. Now if you were only obese, then we would have a trinity worth talking about......Ignorant-Insincere-Fat

Arthur Brain

"Naive pig."

Well, to be fair I got the joke in the spirit meant but I'm still tempted to neg ya for it....

:plain:

:eek:

Quincy

I don't know, I suppose if you had strick requirements on physical and mental ability, then I guess. I know some gals who could any marine I know seem like a wimp, weird but true. I'd really hate to be their enemy. I worked in a female prison for awhile, and let me tell you. Hypermasculinized women with weapons....are.....scary.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
News FLASH!.... You are not funny,
You keep confusing your opinion with the truth of things...you should run for Congress. :think:

...All you do is mock.
No. The mocking comes after either I realize that I'm talking to a parrot or someone who has resorted to flailing about instead of attempting to reason. So you were something of a twofer.

Now if you were only obese, then we would have a trinity worth talking about......
Ah, well. You're doomed to disappointment after disappointment, coupling that one with the likelihood that you own at least one mirror. We'll just have to settle for you being obtuse.

I don't know what you mean by that. :plain:

-Insincere
Doesn't really go with the first insult though, when you think on it...and isn't it time you did?

Supra.

Else, I wondered what passed for wit in you...I'm still wondering. :plain: :D

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

This is a tragedy.

I'm not sure what your point is here.....a woman died while flying a plane so they shouldn't be in combat roles?

Actually, the Navy was forced to change the policy so she could fly. She could not pass the standards, so the standards were changed. Just like they do with women in the Army. Two sets of standards because they can't do 42 pushups. That is all you have to do. Well, sit ups and two mile run also but only 42 pushups.