toldailytopic: For those unsaved. If it turns out you were wrong and you face God in

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicholsmom

Yes, you did give grandiose descriptions of God but none of them specifically contradicted anything I actually said concerning hell, vicarious redemption, sin etc.
It is this attitude that warns me about continuing with you. You show a consistent unwillingness to consider that I am rational enough to have a god worth knowing. You seem to think that you know more about my god than I do and that I have "stars in my eyes" - that I am a sucker, a dupe, an unreasoning wishful thinker. That in the face of the rational discussion that I have tried to have with you - in spite of the fact that I am not comfortable with all of the aspects of my theology (though I believe them with my whole mind and heart). You post like a person who thinks that I haven't thoroughly considered these issues you've brought up. You have been presumptuous and you haven't taken care to consider my actual arguments, seeming to prefer to win an argument than to understand my point of view.

Are you interested in my point of view - really? Do you want to be able to understand why I continue to be a Christian, even if you disagree with that reason? The reason that I am here on TOL conversing with people with other beliefs is so that we can come to understand those other beliefs better - to see and show how differing viewpoints can be rational, even if we disagree rather strongly about those beliefs. But you don't seem to share that goal.

Not quite. We simply don't consider the plight of the ant as relevant. If your expansion in your garden affected say, the bird population then there would be issues to consider.
It was an analogy and as such is limited in application. This is another example of how you seem to not be interested in my actual meaning, but rather in being argumentative.

What would you like to do? You must decide if you want to know what I really think/believe, or if you just want to win an argument. I'm not interested in argument for the sake of argument. I have tried to understand your perspective, and it seems as if I have gotten that down concerning the issues we've discussed in this thread. Will you try to understand mine?

nicholsmom

Seems like it would be kinda hard to evangelize without it. Why else would godrulz have presented the charge he did to me?

I cannot answer for godrulz. But what is the end goal of evangelism? Why evangelize at all? Where is the good of it if it's all false as you have implied with the disease/cure source theory?

I'm asking here, why you think I personally would be trying to convince people of the truth of the Gospel if the whole thing is obvious chicanery? What benefit would I derive from convincing you? You said that it's all "convenient" - convenient to what end?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
A small point before diving in: be sure and leave the numbers after a name when you use the quote function or the arrow/link isn’t in play and those answered might, as I just did (having a few irons in various fires) have to hunt for earlier posts to make sure of a given context. It’s also a courtesy to those who might enter the thread at that juncture and want to jump back to the earlier exchange for a broader contextual understanding. Thanks.

Re: Faith isn't why some believe, but how.
You'd be surprised how many reference faith as their reason for belief in both Islam and Christianity
Not surprised. The nuances of language can get away from people. That’s why so many new verbs keep popping up. :D

How do you suppose that faith is how most of us process the world?
Because we can’t be certain of much more than being and even that’s an assumption, if you break it down.

And more importantly: How are you defining faith here?
An assertion of a thing as true without the present ability to objectively demonstrate it. Rationalism itself is a sort of vicious, if necessary, circle.

Re: hell and will
But hell is the product of no-one's will.
Sure it is, if indirectly. No one on death row desired to be there, but they desired another thing and that row was the consequence.

Re: Absent the good, hell remains.
The above as a justification certainly does and cannot describe the traditional evangelical rendition of hell of the unsaved wallowing for eternity.
I’m not arguing for the non metaphorical understanding, only advancing one that should meet your demand as a just end.

So according to your understanding and beliefs: Who are those that 'inhabit' hell?
Those unreconciled to God. Those who by their actions demand judgment.

And might I ask, what does actually becoming suffering itself involve and what does it mean? Or can I conclude it is merely hyperbole?
Depends on whether you’re just another someone interested in being heard or someone making a genuine inquiry. I find that people who rather immediately run to insult, directly or by inference, are rarely the latter sort. Remove every thing the good is and does from a man and you are left with what? That’s what, if you remain within the influence of the good, could only be considered suffering itself. Inconvenience and discomfort don’t really seem to do it justice.

Re: Why bad things happen/a dilemma revisited in the illustration of an earthquake
Because it would directly prevent the death of thousands and displacement of millions. It would alleviate suffering on a gargantuan scale. It can serve absolutely no purpose in the eyes of an omniscient and omnibenevolent superpower than could literally will any end into being.
This life isn’t about the alleviation of suffering. It’s about how we respond to it, among a host of things. Read Job, or look at the Passion. Why did God suffer on the cross? Wasn’t the act itself sufficient as payment? The answers to your questions begin there.

Re: perspective
I'm talking about natural disasters and not children demanding a new toy.
Rather, you’re talking about perspective and judgment and the underlying nature of what it means to live, imperfectly, within a larger imperfect context. There’s no way around that absent our absence. Remove the natural and you still have the man made horrors. Remove those and you have the inconvenient and emotional. And so on. Which leads us to…

Re: God as wish granter.
I consider this a slippery slope fallacy and not relevant to the point I was making.
I’m less concerned with your feelings than your arguments. Waving an empty sleeve won’t move me or the margin, to reply in the same spirit.

The bottom line is that God is not comparable to any parent (any analogy that has ever tried this has always failed).
I think that's an interesting if unsupported declaration, but it wasn’t my proffer. The child/parent bit was only offered regarding perspective. The genie illustration that followed and preceded this quote of yours was aimed at evidencing the problem with relegating God to correct what appears to be a designed element of our experience.

If you describe God as an omniscient and benevolent being then it becomes effectively mandatory for him to root out injustice.
It isn't a question of that, but of when and how. That's where, within the context of God, we differ.

Re: measuring the measure.
I am judging what fallible humans tell me are the characteristics of their God and I compare that to my perception of reality.
You’re doing a bit more than that. You’re attempting to force God into your context. If God is, then you’re rather contained within His.

I consider, for an example that omniscience and free-will are mutually exclusive and that any property of a hypothetical being that includes omniscience cannot be considered a rational concept.
I think you own a bad dictionary then. :idunno: They aren’t remotely incompatible.

Re: Christ’s example as the rule by which…
Repetitious or not, you don't seem to be disputing the claim that I'm making that God made us with the ability to sin
Of course I’m not. We’re imperfect and willful. That’s the recipe for sin.

and then holds us accountable at the end of it all for our sinning (excluding those who have been made exempt).
Depends on whether or not we accept grace, that nexus where God’s justice and love meet in the sacrifice of Christ. Else, yes. We are responsible for our actions. And those needn’t by necessity lead us to sin, though they do and have.

How do you view it as fair that those who could not believe or made their bed with other views are to be held to such rigid standards?
You’ll have to explain what you mean by this more particularly. No man cannot believe, though many choose not to. Or are you talking about other faiths?

godrulz

Hall of Fame
. . . you could have saved yourself a lot of time and just wrote . . . "it's a mystery."

A mystery is something hidden. The trinity is not really a mystery like Catholics say it is since we have much revelation to establish doctrinal parameters.

What is true is that we can understand that God is triune vs solitary, but we cannot understand it exhaustively with finite minds (He is infinite). Likewise, we can state that God was incarnate in Christ, one person with two natures, but we do not understand exhaustively how these natures relate or how God can become man.

It would be a mystery if there was no revelation, coherence, etc. (we can illustrate compound vs solitary unity even from nature). It would be a mystery if we did not have a clue about any character or attributes of God. If He just said 'I am God', then we would not know if He was loving, evil, triune, solitary, Allah, YHWH, Jesus, etc.

Your lack of understanding does not mean that we cannot right cogent books on the truths of God's triunity. Even without perfect understanding, there is no reason not to be able to say a summary such as this based on the Bible:

Within the one eternal, uncreated nature of God are 3 personal distinctions (Father, Son, Holy Spirit) who are co-eternal, co-essential, co-equal. There are not 3 gods. There are not 3 persons in one person nor 3 gods in 1 god. The Father is God, the Son is God, the Spirit is God; the Father is not the Son, the Son is not the Spirit, the Spirit is not the Father. God is more like one army/one family with many members, than one pencil or one grape (vs cluster of grapes).

The triune understanding summarizes non-exhaustive revelation and is not a mystery (unrevealed). Rom. 1 shows that we have general revelation about God's existence, power, etc. Gen. to Rev. gives us progressive revelation about His triune nature, character, Deity of Christ, personality of the Holy Spirit, etc.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Atheists are lazy and lame, rarely sincere about seeking out spiritual truth. I have studied atheism, theism, Christianity, cults, etc. for over 30 years. Nothing is more important than knowing if God exists or not and what He requires for us to have eternal life, etc. I can say that Christianity is the true world view and that other views can be shown to be false. I know Muhammad and Joseph Smith are false prophets and that Jesus is Almighty God in the flesh, risen from the dead. I did not go to an atheist forum demanding that they prove atheism and disprove theism. Rather than being spoon fed, I searched out things diligently from many sources, taking personal responsibility (knowing I would not have an excuse if I was lazy). God is responsible to communicate Himself and He has done so. For us who know Him, we know that we know that we know. He has made Himself real to us and will do so impartially to others, but not if they remain stupid/stubborn and reject the light they have.

Rom. 1 is clear that we are without excuse if we suppress plain truth.

If I were an atheist, I would not be trying to embrace it against the evidence to retain my selfish life style and godplaying. I would be reading Dawkins, etc., but also books that refute is pathetic arguments. I would read books by former atheists (Flew, Lewis, etc.), by Christians who refute atheism, etc. I would read the Bible prayerfully (even if I was agnostic about God).

The simplest and greatest minds in the world have followed the evidence and been transformed by God in Christ.

In the Gospels, the attitude was that we want to see and then we will believe. Jesus said BELIEVE and you will see (this is not a blind faith without knowledge, but a step of faith despite not having all the answers; accept light and more will be given lest you be further hardened and more seriously condemned...act of mercy and justice).

A convicted sinner and sincere skeptic merits mercy and patience. A scoffer, mocker, game-player should be left to their own until they are serious about seeking truth/answers. Jesus did not chase the rich young ruler down nor did He force Himself on those who rejected His claims, miracles, and resurrection.

Satan blinds the minds of those who reject God. The Holy Spirit strives with all men to convince and convict, but the ball is in our court to make a decision for or against.

Silent Hunter

A mystery is something hidden.
. . . that's ONE definition . . . it can also be something without a plausible explanation . . . such as . . . why are you so obnoxious?

The trinity is not really a mystery like Catholics say it is since we have much revelation to establish doctrinal parameters.
. . . without using your "holy" text . . . please explain the "trinity."

What is true is that we can understand that God is triune vs solitary, but we cannot understand it exhaustively with finite minds (He is infinite). Likewise, we can state that God was incarnate in Christ, one person with two natures, but we do not understand exhaustively how these natures relate or how God can become man.

It would be a mystery if there was no revelation, coherence, etc. (we can illustrate compound vs solitary unity even from nature). It would be a mystery if we did not have a clue about any character or attributes of God. If He just said 'I am God', then we would not know if He was loving, evil, triune, solitary, Allah, YHWH, Jesus, etc.

Your lack of understanding does not mean that we cannot right cogent books on the truths of God's triunity. Even without perfect understanding, there is no reason not to be able to say a summary such as this based on the Bible:

Within the one eternal, uncreated nature of God are 3 personal distinctions (Father, Son, Holy Spirit) who are co-eternal, co-essential, co-equal. There are not 3 gods. There are not 3 persons in one person nor 3 gods in 1 god. The Father is God, the Son is God, the Spirit is God; the Father is not the Son, the Son is not the Spirit, the Spirit is not the Father. God is more like one army/one family with many members, than one pencil or one grape (vs cluster of grapes).

The triune understanding summarizes non-exhaustive revelation and is not a mystery (unrevealed). Rom. 1 shows that we have general revelation about God's existence, power, etc. Gen. to Rev. gives us progressive revelation about His triune nature, character, Deity of Christ, personality of the Holy Spirit, etc.
:blabla: . . . nothing to see here folks . . . move along.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
If I want to understand my paramedical job, I go to medical texts. If I want to know about God, I go the the Word of God, divine, inspired revelation.

Even if you reject the Bible, you should understand what it teaches about God.

How would we know about God apart from His Word/special revelation?

Many books (systematic theologies), etc. are written explaining and defending the Trinity, but they are only as good as they properly exegete Scripture, the only true authority on the subject. Philosophical issues in church history are interesting, but not the basis of a basic doctrine of God.

Unlike atheism, we have revelation, not just imperfect reasoning.

Silent Hunter

If I want to understand my paramedical job, I go to medical texts. If I want to know about God, I go the the Word of God, divine, inspired revelation.
. . . there's a BIG difference between a medical text and a religious text. I can verify among other sources a medical text . . . while I can't the religious text.

Even if you reject the Bible, you should understand what it teaches about God.
. . . I do understand it . . . that's the primary reason I reject it.

How would we know about God apart from His Word/special revelation?
You can't and the Bible isn't . . .

Many books (systematic theologies), etc. are written explaining and defending the Trinity, but they are only as good as they properly exegete Scripture, the only true authority on the subject. Philosophical issues in church history are interesting, but not the basis of a basic doctrine of God.
:yawn:

Unlike atheism, we have revelation, not just imperfect reasoning.
. . . @#$% . . . my irony meter . . . again !!!

Arthur Brain

Re: hell and will

Sure it is, if indirectly. No one on death row desired to be there, but they desired another thing and that row was the consequence.

Well, if you'll forgive me for jumping in myself here I'd like to take you up on certain points here once again. Try to contain your excitement at the prospect...:plain:

Death row, and for that matter many other legal consequences for certain crimes can be verified and proven before any crime actually takes place. If one drives over the speed limit there's little surprise for most in receiving a fine if caught etc.

Those on death row were more than aware of the potential consequence for committing crimes of such magnitude that resulted in the penalty I would wager.

Hardly the same as an abstract concept where supposed eternal suffering/*becoming* suffering etc is the apparent penalty for not having believed or having a *heretical* belief etc etc....

Your initial premise for your *take* on hell involved a hypothetical relative who may never have even had a parking ticket but was not a Christian if you recall?

Re: Absent the good, hell remains.

I’m not arguing for the non metaphorical understanding, only advancing one that should meet your demand as a just end.

Why should it be accepted as a 'just end'? Why should your 'metaphorical' take on hell be given any more creedence in itself? All you effectively do is fashion a subjective opinion on a *traditional* notion of hell being an eternal realm of 'negative being'. Your concept may not be as contemptible as folk being 'burned alive' through infinity but in itself it's still devoid of hope or any ascertainable point....Why not just destroy altogether as annihilationists believe? We're all just fallible human beings TH. Senseless suffering makes no sense, and to think there's a Deity which IS love would create flesh and blood, and then consign them to eternal hopelessness for simple fallibility is as dark as it gets.

So that judgment has to incorporate an eternal state of being where there's no chance of change? Why? Is that because you personally believe it to be 'just' or because you believe the bible claims it to be such?

godrulz

Hall of Fame
It is prejudice to say that a secular book is valid, but any spiritual/religious book must be invalid.

If one starts from the assumption that we cannot know spiritual truth/reality, there is no God, God is impotent and cannot preserve revelation in Scripture, etc., then we will get no where. Wrong assumptions lead to wrong conclusions. It is also not begging the question if the assumptions/conclusions are true.

voltaire

BANNED
Banned
Here is what is known: There is judgement for the unbeliever in the afterlife. He is eternally seperated from God. His destruction is eternal. That means it is final with no hope of revival. This does not mean the destruction of the soul is a continuous never ending action. The judgement will commensurate with his knowlege of good and evil and how he acted on that knowledge. There will be no telling God that you didn't know it was wrong. This means that for those truly ignorant of what God demands, there will be no judgement. All men can see a creator in creation unless an evolutionists has polluted his mind first. For those truly deceived this way, there will be no judgement for unbelief. All men have their own sense of what is right and wrong and God will judge them according to each one's own standard. Babies and those who have not developed a sufficient sense of morailty will be given another chance in some unknown way i speculate.

voltaire

BANNED
Banned
Here is what is unknown: The exact nature of each man's judgement. We don't know if that judgement is a one time deal or continues for eternity. We don't even know if the consciousness of the unbeliever is eternal. It could be eternal state of sleep with no dreams. You know the type: you wake up in the morning and feel like no time elapsed. We know God is not a monster. Judgement is commensurate with the crime. A crime against God is greater than a crime against man but it is still finite in nature. The bible is largely silent on the nature of the eternal state for the unbeliever who really didn't consciously act against his own morality that much. It does seem to indicate harsh punishment for great wanton sin. God has been mostly silent about thedetails because he knows the heart of man. Men will not fear God if they feel their punishment will be tolerable. The bottom line is that he wants love from you and wants a relationship with you and has gone to great lengths to make that happen and doesn't want anyone spending eternity seperated from him.

Silent Hunter

It is prejudice to say that a secular book is valid, but any spiritual/religious book must be invalid.
. . . discounting your own special pleading . . . :doh:.

If one starts from the assumption that we cannot know spiritual truth/reality, there is no God, God is impotent and cannot preserve revelation in Scripture, etc., then we will get no where. Wrong assumptions lead to wrong conclusions. It is also not begging the question if the assumptions/conclusions are true.
. . . @#$% . . . there goes my irony meter . . . AGAIN . . .

You KEEP assuming as true what you MUST prove . . . otherwise you ARE begging the question . . . :doh:.

Silent Hunter

Here is what is known: There is judgement for the unbeliever in the afterlife.
. . . how is that a "known" without begging the question?

He is eternally seperated from God.

His destruction is eternal.

That means it is final with no hope of revival.

This does not mean the destruction of the soul is a continuous never ending action. The judgement will commensurate with his knowlege of good and evil and how he acted on that knowledge.

There will be no telling God that you didn't know it was wrong.

This means that for those truly ignorant of what God demands, there will be no judgement.

All men can see a creator in creation unless an evolutionists has polluted his mind first.

For those truly deceived this way, there will be no judgement for unbelief.

All men have their own sense of what is right and wrong and God will judge them according to each one's own standard.

Babies and those who have not developed a sufficient sense of morailty will be given another chance in some unknown way i speculate.

Silent Hunter

Here is what is unknown: The exact nature of each man's judgement. We don't know if that judgement is a one time deal or continues for eternity. We don't even know if the consciousness of the unbeliever is eternal. It could be eternal state of sleep with no dreams. You know the type: you wake up in the morning and feel like no time elapsed. We know God is not a monster. Judgement is commensurate with the crime. A crime against God is greater than a crime against man but it is still finite in nature. The bible is largely silent on the nature of the eternal state for the unbeliever who really didn't consciously act against his own morality that much. It does seem to indicate harsh punishment for great wanton sin. God has been mostly silent about thedetails because he knows the heart of man. Men will not fear God if they feel their punishment will be tolerable. The bottom line is that he wants love from you and wants a relationship with you and has gone to great lengths to make that happen and doesn't want anyone spending eternity seperated from him.
. . . saving time . . . :blabla:

voltaire

BANNED
Banned
Silent Hunter. I am not saying any of these things are known apart from what the bible says. If the bible is man made and God had not part in it at all then all bets are off. Nothing of the nature of the supernatural can be known. There may not even be a supernatural or a god. Apart from the bible, all that can be said to be possibly true is that a powerful creator started the universe. Nothing else can be known.

voltaire

BANNED
Banned
You responded by saying saving time.... blah. Everything i stated in that post is based on my understanding of the bible. You want me to prove something apart from what the bible says. Very little can be proved apart from the bible. If that is your rules of the debate then there is no need for any further discussion. This thread is not about whether the bible is true. You are demanding we prove that before we make any declarative statements. If you want to have a meaningful discussion then just tack on the following statement to any declarative statement: If the bible is true.

voltaire

BANNED
Banned
So to be exact, non of this is known in a purely scientific sense. The follwing assumptions are made and really cannot be proven in this lifetime. It is simply impossible and that isnt because these are flat out lies. It is because the nature of these truths cannot be proven in the physical world. Only the existence of a creator God has plenty of evidence. But, even this evidence can be dismissed and explained away by a closed mind. There is great evidence for creation and the idea of creation is very plausible to an open mind. Unguided naturalistic evolution is possible but unlikely when the evidence is closely examined. When you cut the age of the earth to less than a million years, unguided, naturalistic evolution is absolutely impossible. An unbiased look at the evidence also show that a millions or billions of years old earth is very improbable if you can see that radioactive decay was faster in the past. 4.55 billion years is a very fragile glass house to build your belief system upon.

Skavau

http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2629201&postcount=343

Town Heretic said:
A small point before diving in: be sure and leave the numbers after a name when you use the quote function or the arrow/link isn’t in play and those answered might, as I just did (having a few irons in various fires) have to hunt for earlier posts to make sure of a given context. It’s also a courtesy to those who might enter the thread at that juncture and want to jump back to the earlier exchange for a broader contextual understanding. Thanks.
I thought you might ask for that as I recall with an older exchange. Again, I tend to respond on wordpad and so literally cut and paste quotes (which is why you might see me responding to several posts at once). I will however include a link to the post I am responding to as a compromise.

Not surprised. The nuances of language can get away from people. That’s why so many new verbs keep popping up.
So do you not believe that faith is a reason for why people believe?

Because we can’t be certain of much more than being and even that’s an assumption, if you break it down.
This seems to suggest that you view a presumption of reality being as it really is (that is a rejection of solipsism) as having faith. I would argue that any naturalistic and empiricist world-view by definition does hold this as so but it is a necessary 'faith' that without no observation and experimentation on reality could have ever been made.

An assertion of a thing as true without the present ability to objectively demonstrate it. Rationalism itself is a sort of vicious, if necessary, circle.
Okay.

I'm getting a sense of deja vu. So what is it you imagine (as per your comparison) that people who gain the consequence of hell desire?

And who do you hold unreconciled to God? And why do you consider it an appropriate response or acceptable condition that all those unreconciled to God are to receive eternal torture (note I did not say judgment)?

This life isn’t about the alleviation of suffering. It’s about how we respond to it, among a host of things. Read Job, or look at the Passion. Why did God suffer on the cross? Wasn’t the act itself sufficient as payment? The answers to your questions begin there.
Then you necessarily hold humanity as nothing more and existent only as a large proving ground. You're welcome to keep such a view.

Rather, you’re talking about perspective and judgment and the underlying nature of what it means to live, imperfectly, within a larger imperfect context. There’s no way around that absent our absence. Remove the natural and you still have the man made horrors. Remove those and you have the inconvenient and emotional. And so on. Which leads us to…
I have to ask on this point as to what you vision heaven to be. If it involves utopian ideals then all that has been said above here is undermined. In any case, I am indeed taking up issue only with a God that creates a world filled with natural disasters and natural diseases that have ravaged and undermined his creation since the beginning. Concerning man-made issues and emotional issues, that would directly and could directly be argued as product of our will and thus we should bare the consequence but this is not the same with natural affairs. Your only response is to just argue that it is a part of life.

Of course I’m not. We’re imperfect and willful. That’s the recipe for sin.
You must necessarily believe that God created us or allowed us to be both imperfect and willful.

You’ll have to explain what you mean by this more particularly. No man cannot believe, though many choose not to. Or are you talking about other faiths?
I am talking about both other faiths and non-believers. How is it fair that those who could not believe in vicarious redemption are held to ludicrous standards that they would have absolutely no way (by consequence of being designed imperfect) of matching?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
...So do you not believe that faith is a reason for why people believe?
It's a rational impossibility. Faith describes belief, but is an effect, not a cause. Faith may sustain belief, but it cannot exist without the object of it present as the agent. That is, people don't simply and suddenly decide to have faith. They may decide to have faith in something, but then the something is the why and the faith is, again, the root.

This seems to suggest that you view a presumption of reality being as it really is (that is a rejection of solipsism) as having faith. I would argue that any naturalistic and empiricist world-view by definition does hold this as so but it is a necessary 'faith' that without no observation and experimentation on reality could have ever been made.
I don't argue against the necessity, only point to its actual foundation.

I'm getting a sense of deja vu. So what is it you imagine (as per your comparison) that people who gain the consequence of hell desire?
To set themselves and their desires above God, to become the arbiters of moral measure, to usurp the authority of the good and replace it with a lesser service to self.

And who do you hold unreconciled to God? And why do you consider it an appropriate response or acceptable condition that all those unreconciled to God are to receive eternal torture (note I did not say judgment)?
The first question isn't a serious one since you understand the premise of my faith and the necessity, within that, of grace. The second leg begins with the very sort of usurpation I only just noted and then concludes with an errant usage that commonly denotes the act of one in power working harm against one subject to that power, which is nothing like what I only just finished setting out for my part in the last post on this.

So that raises the question of whether you're inviting serious discussion or simply waiting on the pause so you can unleash a canned and only tangentially related speech.

Then you necessarily hold humanity as nothing more and existent only as a large proving ground. You're welcome to keep such a view.
You should advance questions rather than declarations to get at what another man thinks. You've missed my larger philosophy/theological understanding by no small distance there. And I have never needed or sought your permission for it. So kindly keep your condescension to yourself. You've done nothing that justifies it and will only find a worse treatment if you persist in it.

I have to ask on this point as to what you vision heaven to be.
Heaven...I have so much here to do and learn and grow by I rarely concern myself with the speculation. I understand it will be a closer relation and beyond that leave the veil to its time. The now is rather pressing.

If it involves utopian ideals then all that has been said above here is undermined.
Who knows what you mean by that or how you'd support it. I could imagine, I suppose, but why work harder than you at it? If you have an argument don't be coy with it. And don't declare a conclusion without supplying the means to arrive at it.

In any case, I am indeed taking up issue only with a God that creates a world filled with natural disasters and natural diseases that have ravaged and undermined his creation since the beginning.
I would expect you to. I noted the why of that above.

Concerning man-made issues and emotional issues, that would directly and could directly be argued as product of our will and thus we should bare the consequence but this is not the same with natural affairs. Your only response is to just argue that it is a part of life.
Rather, my response was to note that these conditions exist and that they are no more or less horrific than Stalin or the Inquisition. Remove the one and you have only reduced the struggle, not ended it. And what sort of principle is it that finds unreasoned harm inferior or needless and does not make the same strident claim against every? And we're back to the genie and running against will and existence itself.

You must necessarily believe that God created us or allowed us to be both imperfect and willful.
I've stated it emphatically. I believe God exists in perfection. We are that object upon which love in its perfection can reveal itself in relation. We are necessarily imperfect as to be perfect is to be God. To be that object we must be other than God. To be other than God...and there you have it.

I am talking about both other faiths and non-believers.
Those are separate matters. Would God hold a man who has never been witnessed to accountable for that which he could not understand? Not if He is just and merciful. 1Peter 3:19–20

Now given God has set out a means by which any man may rest in the authority of Christ and enter into relation, I have less hope for those who choose to remove themselves from the proposition. But, ultimately, I leave God's judgment to God and concern myself with my own witness and the unfolding of an abundant life...something to be moved toward, rather than a discourse on what is to be fled.

How is it fair that those who could not believe in vicarious redemption are held to ludicrous standards that they would have absolutely no way (by consequence of being designed imperfect) of matching?
The claim that the standards of God are ludicrous is unsupported, so I don't feel obliged to offer more in response than you've given in the making: they are demonstrably no such thing. Argue or be hanged, I don't give a twisted fig for posture in lieu. And your latter point is mistaken. Again, the same mechanism by which a man resists one temptation may be applied to all. We fail because we choose to fail, not because we must. Fortunately, even then, there is Christ and grace and reconciliation.

:e4e:

Status
Not open for further replies.