toldailytopic: Fighting Sioux: Should the University of North Dakota change their mas

rexlunae

People can change their minds. If the tribe that gave permission years ago has changed their mind, they should be respected.

While I generally agree with that, I don't think the opinions have really changed that much. There's just always been some sentiment against the nickname, and social standards have changed such that racial epithets are less accepted now, even if divorced from their original negative context.

BUT, if changing the school's name costs money, as it likely will, then the tribe should have to cover those costs.

I disagree with that. The name is fundamentally the school's problem, not the tribe's. And moreover, while it will certainly cost UND money to change the name, it will cost us a lot more not to change it, and it will cost more than just money. Our entire athletic department will be hurt, thus our recruiting will suffer, and the quality programs we've built over many years may be destroyed.