toldailytopic: Fighting Sioux: Should the University of North Dakota change their mas

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for February 9th, 2012 10:36 AM

toldailytopic: Fighting Sioux: Should the University of North Dakota change their mascot?

fighting_sioux_hed.jpg

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

oatmeal

No, absolulely not.

Is it the intent of the U to portray itself as a bunch of losers by choosing a symbol of defeat?

Or is it the intent of the U to demonstrate its courage and bravery in the face of opposition?

Since I have every reason to believe that it wants to inspire its students to greatness, why not have a symbol that portrays courage and resolve?

For that state and its history, is there any better choice than what they have already?

oatmeal

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
I'd comment further but I'm still rather busy trying to figure out how a picture of an American Indian is "hostile and abusive" to American Indians.

The only explanation I can think of is that reminding American Indians that they are American Indians would be hostile and abusive.

Which strongly implies being an American Indian must be a very bad thing, so you shouldn't remind them of it.

Which...

sw50sw8sw578.gif

Granite

Hall of Fame
I don't see a reason for them to change. You could probably make a much stronger case for the Cleveland Indians and Washington Redskins getting a makeover though.

Breathe

I am so very tired of living in a world obsessed with political correctness. We can all find someone who has offended our ancestral background if we just look hard enough. I'm a redhead of Irish descent. So maybe I should sue Notre Dame for their Fighting Irish. ;)

Granite

Hall of Fame
I am so very tired of living in a world obsessed with political correctness. We can all find someone who has offended our ancestral background if we just look hard enough. I'm a redhead of Irish descent. So maybe I should sue Notre Dame for their Fighting Irish. ;)

Nah, just sue a university with a French name for appropriating something Irish.

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
I'm a redhead of Irish descent. So maybe I should sue Notre Dame for their Fighting Irish. ;)

Same here. If someone tried to convince me I should be offended at a sports team taking the name "Fighting Irish" I'd be offended at them for assuming that's somehow not a great compliment.

If a sports team decided to take on the name "Butt Kicking MaryContrary's", how the heck is that supposed to ever be offensive to me? :liberals:

The despite is both subtle and projected. But obvious once you catch on to it.

kmoney

Hall of Fame

It shouldn't be changed just to satisfy the NCAA's goal of political correctness.

It should depend on the Sioux Indians. Obviously you can't please everyone but if the majority want it changed then the school should comply. If not, leave it alone. Based on the article it seems the tribe is mixed.

And the article seems to say that the NCAA rules allow for exceptions if the tribe gives approval.

The Berean

Same here. If someone tried to convince me I should be offended at a sports team taking the name "Fighting Irish" I'd be offended at them for assuming that's somehow not a great compliment.

If a sports team decided to take on the name "Butt Kicking MaryContrary's", how the heck is that supposed to ever be offensive to me? :liberals:

The despite is both subtle and projected. But obvious once you catch on to it.

Some more "racist" team logos? :think:

slhg02hbef3j1ov4lsnwyol5o.gif

SL_T-Pillow_Minnesota_Vikings.jpg

x5qgaefxmvbsmrkzw3k8qggwr.gif

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
It shouldn't be changed just to satisfy the NCAA's goal of political correctness.

It should depend on the Sioux Indians. Obviously you can't please everyone but if the majority want it changed then the school should comply. If not, leave it alone. Based on the article it seems the tribe is mixed.

And the article seems to say that the NCAA rules allow for exceptions if the tribe gives approval.

This, too, make sense.

If someone named their soccer team "The Butt-kicking MaryContrarys" and I didn't want to be associated with soccer for some reason, I'd expect they'd drop that. :idunno:

But, still, the only way this can reasonably be argued to be some kind of slur against the Sioux would be to show the attributes being assigned the sports team in this manner were negative. I don't see how that can be argued reasonably.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

toldailytopic: Fighting Sioux: Should the University of North Dakota change their mascot?

No.

Granite

Hall of Fame
This, too, make sense.

If someone named their soccer team "The Butt-kicking MaryContrarys" and I didn't want to be associated with soccer for some reason, I'd expect they'd drop that. :idunno:

But, still, the only way this can reasonably be argued to be some kind of slur against the Sioux would be to show the attributes being assigned the sports team in this manner were negative. I don't see how that can be argued reasonably.

Ummmm, but...who would ever want to be associated with soccer?:think:

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I look at the logo and see the indian and "fighting sioux" written there and think they chose it as a warrior symbol, i don't think theres anything racist at all in it.

I am so very tired of living in a world obsessed with political correctness.
me too