toldailytopic: Favorite BBQ. What is your favorite type of barbecued food and how is

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrRadish

I saw something like that on the Food Network awhile back, and it made me drooool.

Especially since they coated the pastry in HONEY after baking it with the meat in it. Mmmm......

Urgh. I must say, I really don't approve of this American habit of blending sweet with savoury; when I tried that sort of thing in Florida it seemed like the worst of both worlds...

Quincy

Urgh. I must say, I really don't approve of this American habit of blending sweet with savoury; when I tried that sort of thing in Florida it seemed like the worst of both worlds...

I agree with you and I'm American. I don't have much of a sweet tooth period though.

Buzzword

I'm not sure the idea of adding honey is necessarily American.

The Chinese lady they interviewed during that segment said it was a family recipe which originated in China.

Still sounded awesome, though I may never get a chance to try it.

I agree with you and I'm American. I don't have much of a sweet tooth period though.

Hehe.
I have an EPIC level sweet tooth, and the way I see it, the more flavor you can cram into a concoction (as long as it blends well), the better.

lightbringer

TOL Subscriber

If the sauce is too sweet, dilute with beer until it tastes good..the beer will also act as a tenderizer.

Do miss the family summer reunion Bar-B-Ques...two weeks prior all the teen aged sons/grandsons would arrive to start cutting the Mesquite wood for the fires and butchering the animals (beef, lamb, goat, chicken and venison) in preparation...then, when every one arrived it was a daily cook out, old west style, open fire beans, baked bread, tortillas. Each evening the old timers from around would get together and tell their stories of family and friends from the late 1800's and early 1900's...kind of kept all of us as a historical family, roots from before Texas was in the union up to that day...

Seems like when the older family died out, we lost some of what kept us together? The new generations seem to be more involved with all the fuss and bustle of the new age and lost track of how and what brought them into existence.

Quincy

Well, I'm allergic to milk and tomatoes so I have to be careful what sweets or sauces I eat. Which is TERRIBLE, let me tell you. I do agree with lightbringer about the meats. Goat, lamb, and venison are great. I also like rabbit.

zoo22

I like Memphis style ribs, also a nice Memphis pork, but I prefer cubed to pulled. And in-sauce. I usually prefer a somewhat basted wet rib to an only dry rub rib, but I can also do with a traditional no-sauce rib. I like some char on the ribs, and I like a sauce that's mostly very hot with about 25% sweet. Never have been able to prepare BBQ nearly as good as a BBQ place, so I can't say much on the actual preparation.

On the grill, I like a steak. Ribeye, no bone, about 1.5-2 inches thick, with some olive oil, lots of black pepper & course sea salt for a couple of hours, then some more black pepper and sea salt with some clarified butter for about 15-20 minutes. About 4 minutes high temp grill on one side, a bit more clarified butter before the flip, about 4 more minutes grill on the 2nd side, sometimes one more flip, for about 1 minute. I like some char on the outside.

The Graphite

Coming from a Texas family and upbringing, I appreciate many forms of barbecue. It's hard for me to pick one strict favorite, but here are some of my favorite characteristics of BBQ.

Meat: pork rules!

Wood: mesquite is king!

Sauce, thick or thin: thick

Heat source: smoker (but grill is good too)

Other beloved bbq: pork tenderloin (med-rare), dark-meat chicken with sauce or rub, good brisket, and any style of pork ribs

Favorite special ingredient in BBQ sauce: whiskey, especially Jack Daniels

Status
Not open for further replies.