toldailytopic: Euthanasia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for July 14th, 2010 08:16 AM

toldailytopic: Euthanasia.

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Those in their right mind who are suffering from a terminal condition should be allowed to go out on their own terms.

Those who sign a decree or will that stipulates they are to be euthanized following a pre-determined set of circumstances should have that right.

To prolong the suffering of the terminally ill is cruelty masquerading as compassion.

This is the most personal and significant decision imaginable—and we should allow ourselves to legally make it.

Quincy

Those in their right mind who are suffering from a terminal condition should be allowed to go out on their own terms.

Those who sign a decree or will that stipulates they are to be euthanized following a pre-determined set of circumstances should have that right.

To prolong the suffering of the terminally ill is cruelty masquerading as compassion.

This is the most personal and significant decision imaginable—and we should allow ourselves to legally make it.

QFT

All I'd add is that if you think you know best for a grown adult when you haven't lived their life or aren't experiencing what they are, well it is rather pompous.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

That pretty much sums it up.

sdgareth

I concur with the above

Don't judge a person until you have walked a mile in their shoes

"To prolong the suffering of the terminally ill is cruelty masquerading as compassion.":first:

Buzzword

I agree with what's already been said.

In addition, we have a horrible inconsistency in the USA regarding death.

We're willing to give violent criminals a peaceful send-off, but not our elderly who helped make our country what it is today.

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
I agree with what's already been said.

In addition, we have a horrible inconsistency in the USA regarding death.

We're willing to give violent criminals a peaceful send-off, but not our elderly who helped make our country what it is today.

We? I think your argument is with God, who commands the governing authorities to wield the sword not in vain while placing strict rules over the application of violence on the rest of us.

To my knowledge we are granted the right to take a life only in our own defense or in the defense of others. If you can show me something I've missed there, I'll be grateful. And even to the governing authorities the manner in which they are to wield the sword doesn't seem to have any provision regarding using it to end one's suffering.

I'm simply not aware of God granting us the authority to commit euthanasia. Perhaps it seems right to you but, again, that puts you at odds with Him. If you have an argument otherwise, I'd be interested to hear it.

Buzzword

MaryContrary said:
We? I think your argument is with God, who commands the governing authorities to wield the sword not in vain while placing strict rules over the application of violence on the rest of us.

Has anyone here mentioned VIOLENCE in any way?

Let me check...nope.
All we've talked of is the cessation of suffering for those who would choose it.

To my knowledge we are granted the right to take a life only in our own defense or in the defense of others. If you can show me something I've missed there, I'll be grateful. And even to the governing authorities the manner in which they are to wield the sword doesn't seem to have any provision regarding using it to end one's suffering.

I'm simply not aware of God granting us the authority to commit euthanasia. Perhaps it seems right to you but, again, that puts you at odds with Him. If you have an argument otherwise, I'd be interested to hear it.

You're neck-deep in Levitican law, aren't you.

Are you seriously saying you'd be willing to suffer for YEARS, with NO HOPE OF RECOVERY, refusing relief at all points?

You didn't even address the inconsistency of giving a murder/rapist/etc. a quiet, peaceful death, while allowing innocent citizens to suffer horribly, and unnecessarily.

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
Has anyone here mentioned VIOLENCE in any way?

Let me check...nope.
All we've talked of is the cessation of suffering for those who would choose it.
I hope you're not suggesting ending someone's life, whatever the reasons or method involved, doesn't constitute violence. I know the word lends a specter you probably don't like here but it's entirely accurate. If I changed the word to something else would you then be able to consider the point?

Toss out "violence" and replace it with...I dunno..."ending life" or sommin'? Whatever you're comfortable with, so long as it has the same meaning. I don't really care. :idunno:

You're neck-deep in Levitican law, aren't you.
Uh...I'm neck deep in considering first what God approves of and what He does not. Aren't you a Christian? I assumed you felt the same. If not, never mind. Nothing I said here is relevant to you.
Are you seriously saying you'd be willing to suffer for YEARS, with NO HOPE OF RECOVERY,
Dunno. We'll wait until I'm in such a position and see what I say then. Perhaps I'll feel differently. Maybe I'll even have a great argument for euthanasia then.

Not that it matters in the slightest. I wasn't talking about what I think is right but what God does. That won't change regardless of what I think. I think God does not extend us the authority to commit euthanasia. And so...well, that's it. My entire point.
...refusing relief at all points?
When did I say anything of the sort? Or even reference that at all, anywhere? I did not, of course.

Do I need to point out what it usually suggests when someone pulls this? What, were you concerned I might say, "yes"? So added this thing about refusing relief at all points over long years to ensure I'd agree with you? Perhaps I would, if that were what we were talking about. But since it isn't, don't see the point in this.

You didn't even address the inconsistency of giving a murder/rapist/etc. a quiet, peaceful death, while allowing innocent citizens to suffer horribly, and unnecessarily.
That's exactly what I addressed. Specifically I gave my understanding of what God commands in this regard.

How is it inconsistent? You assume both these things require the same response and so a dissimilar response would thus be inconsistent. Considering how God weighs in on this matter I would think, if I'm right, I've established that the two do not require a similar response. Else God would provide such. And, so, if I'm right, this establishes the two require different responses.

Quite simply God must have an opinion on this matter. I gave what I think that to be. If you disagree, show me what you think God's opinion here is and we'll compare how we each came to our conclusions. Assuming, of course, you care what God thinks at all and it has any impact on your opinion. If you do not...well, then never mind. Simply say, "I don't care what God thinks" and be done.

Granite

Hall of Fame
We can't be caught in a position where we confuse selfishness with mercy.

Just throwin' it out there.

aSeattleConserv

BANNED
Banned
Go

Go

Death with dignity, is an oxymoron, Death is an indignity, it is the end of life as we know it, so it is the ultimate deprivation in our lives, that is an indignity. Anyone opting out sooner either doesn't have the guts to see their life through, or they are acceding to the importunings - overt or subliminal of society or their loved ones to save them from the inconvenience or the exposure to the care of the old, sick, or infirm dying. It's more about society and the relatives or friends who have become programmed to avoid any kind of exposure to pain, suffering, or obligation to care for others in their time of need.

In the end it comes down to the culture of death that has been promoted by government and by individuals with anti-social tendencies or who have their own agenda around death and its implications for them. It has its origins in the millions of unborn killed, now the box has been opened further, we're letting people kill themselves "for the right reason", who is next? What's the next euphemism that will be cooked up?
________
FULL-SIZE FORD SPECIFICATIONS

Last edited:

Granite

Hall of Fame
Death with dignity, is an oxymoron, Death is an indignity, it is the end of life as we know it, so it is the ultimate deprivation in our lives, that is an indignity.

Cynical and peculiar attitude for a Christian to have.

Anyone opting out sooner either doesn't have the guts to see their life through...

...and this is simply a loathsome, wretched, and heartless attitude for anyone.

It's more about society and the relatives or friends who have become programmed to avoid any kind of exposure to pain, suffering, or obligation to care for others in their time of need.

I see, so we're all just not tough up for you, is that it? Forgot about prolonging the agony of the terminally ill...

Son of Jack

As far as I recall, there are at least four types of euthanasia.

Active, passive, voluntary, and involuntary

Active euthanasia is when the individual actively seek to bring an immediate end to life.

Passive euthanasia is when the individual ceases to attempt to prolong life (i.e. letting nature take its course).

Voluntary is when one is willing to end life immediately or willingly ceases to prevent the end of life by way of medical procedures.

Involuntary is, of course, when life is taken against one's will.

Now, it seems to me that active voluntary, and especially active/passive involuntary, euthanasia are out of the question for anyone who calls themselves seriously pro-life.

I would never be against someone allowing nature to run its course, while seeking to be as comfortable as possible. So, I would be okay with passive voluntary euthanasia.

That said, this is a complicated issue, made more so by the technological advances in medicine.

Here is an interesting article I read the other day.

aSeattleConserv

BANNED
Banned
Go

Go

As far as I recall, there are at least four types of euthanasia.

They all have one thing in common, the death of an innocent human being at the hands of man.

MaryContrary argued for the Biblical perspective against assisted suicide (let's call it what it is and not give it the clean word that abortionists have given to their death culture: "choice").

God's Word always has been and always be good enough for me.
________
Magic flight launch box

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.