toldailytopic: Eternal torment, Annihilationism or Universalism, which do you believe

Timotheos

No, I would rather discuss the scriptures than play with you.
Matt 7:13
Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it.
This says destruction, not eternal torment.

Jesus Christ disagrees with your doctrine.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I don't think that it makes me delusional to believe what the Bible says.

Is the Holy Spirit telling you guys to say these things, or some other spirit? The fruit of the Holy Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. The things you two say are a disgrace to Jesus Christ if you say that you are His followers.
Do you have any Scripture to back any of this up?

Whoever corrects a mocker invites insults;
whoever rebukes the wicked incurs abuse.
Proverbs 9:7
You think that means we're not supposed to do those things?

No, I would rather discuss the scriptures than play with you.
Matt 7:13
Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it.
This says destruction, not eternal torment.

Jesus Christ disagrees with your doctrine.
And other passages say "torment." You don't have an argument.

Timotheos

Tim said:
The fruit of the Holy Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. The things you two say are a disgrace to Jesus Christ if you say that you are His followers.
Do you have any Scripture to back any of this up?
Galations 5:22-23

Lighthouse said:
You think that means we're not supposed to do those things?
It means that if I attempt to correct you, I'm am inviting your insults. But I'm glad when you insult me, because it shows that I am a follower of Jesus Christ. (Matthew 5:11-12)
Your insults also show that you haven't got any scriptural support for your position. If you had scriptural support, you would use it instead of empty insults.

And other passages say "torment." You don't have an argument.
First refute Matthew 7:13, then talk about these other passages. Jesus plainly said that the way is wide that leads to destruction. I agree with Him, it is up to you whether you agree with Jesus Christ that the way is wide that leads to destruction, or disagree with Him and argue with Him that He should have said the way is wide that leads to eternal torment in Hell. You are mistaken, the penalty being destruction and not eternal conscious torment is completely established, and you don't have an argument against it. Perhaps that is why you want to resort to insults so much.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Galations 5:22-23
Did you mean Galatians 5:22-23?

It's telling that you could only come up with a reference for your direct quote.

What about the rest of it?
I don't think that it makes me delusional to believe what the Bible says.

Is the Holy Spirit telling you guys to say these things, or some other spirit? The fruit of the Holy Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. The things you two say are a disgrace to Jesus Christ if you say that you are His followers.
Any Scripture for any of that?

It means that if I attempt to correct you, I'm am inviting your insults. But I'm glad when you insult me, because it shows that I am a follower of Jesus Christ. (Matthew 5:11-12)
No it doesn't.

Just because Jesus said His followers would be insulted doesn't mean anyone who is insulted is His follower.

And you invite the insults when you deny Scripture.

Your insults also show that you haven't got any scriptural support for your position. If you had scriptural support, you would use it instead of empty insults.
We've given you the Scripture; you've denied it. the insults come as a result of that, thus they are not empty.

First refute Matthew 7:13, then talk about these other passages. Jesus plainly said that the way is wide that leads to destruction. I agree with Him, it is up to you whether you agree with Jesus Christ that the way is wide that leads to destruction, or disagree with Him and argue with Him that He should have said the way is wide that leads to eternal torment in Hell. You are mistaken, the penalty being destruction and not eternal conscious torment is completely established, and you don't have an argument against it. Perhaps that is why you want to resort to insults so much.
Refute? Why would we refute Scripture? If we're going to refute anything it would be your erroneous definition of destruction in the context.

Inner torment is a destruction of the soul that goes on forever.

Then a third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, “If anyone worships the beast and his image, and receives his mark on his forehead or on his hand, he himself shall also drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out full strength into the cup of His indignation. He shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels and in the presence of the Lamb. And the smoke of their torment ascends forever and ever; and they have no rest day or night, who worship the beast and his image, and whoever receives the mark of his name.”
-Revelation 14:9-11

Timotheos

What about the rest of it?

Any Scripture for any of that?
You mean where you said "you are deluded"? I don't know, do you think that it was Christ honoring to claim that I am deluded without anything at all supporting your claim? If so, how is it Christ honoring to insult other people?

And you invite the insults when you deny Scripture.
I haven't denied any scripture, and I quoted scripture which says the same thing I am saying, and you denied that it said what it was saying.

We've given you the Scripture
No, you haven't. You've given me insults.

Inner torment is a destruction of the soul that goes on forever.
I need to see the chapter and verse supporting this claim.

In the meantime consider what Jesus Christ had to say about those who are sent to Gehenna:
Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell (greek: Gehenna)
Matthew 10:28

If the body and soul are not destroyed in Gehenna, but are continuously aware of torment, then Jesus was wrong and you are right.

Also, you still haven't refuted Jesus' statement in Matthew 7:13

Timotheos

that doesn't stop him from arguing

this has already been beaten to death here: http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89660

and timmy still wants to believe in his own version :idunno:

Yes, you were very convincing with this post:
because they listen to satan's lies

iow, they choose satan over God

Not really.

and I have proof that you're a child when it comes to scriptural understanding, Timmy
Not very convincing. Especially since you didn't offer ant proof at all. Just more name calling. You didn't do very well in that thread, I'm surprised that you are bringing it up.

Timotheos

goodness timmy, you're very needy today, aren't you?

Instead of insulting me, why don't you simply post the verse that says "the wicked will go to Hell when they die where they will be tormented alive forever."?

In the meantime, I will give you some more Biblical proof that the wicked are destroyed by fire and not kept alive forever in fire being tortured by it:

Take a look at Matthew 3:12
"His winnowing fork is in His hand, and He will thoroughly clear His threshing floor; and He will gather His wheat into the barn, but He will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire."
This says that the chaff will be burnt up, the greek word is katakaio and it means to be completely consumed by the fire. Just as the chaff is completely consumed by the fire, the wicked will be completely consumed by the fire, not tortured alive in the fire forever.

So Matthew 3:12 proves that your doctrine of eternal conscious torment is wrong. And you have refuted Jesus' statements in Matthew 7:13 or Matthew 10:28 yet.

I've noticed that one side in this debate only offers insults, snide remarks and put downs, and the other side (my side) offers scripture and logic as support for what I am saying. That should tell you something.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
timmy - you're retarded

and delusional

i can't imagine why a delusional retard like you would expect people to do anything other than mock you :idunno:

Timotheos

timmy - you're retarded

and delusional

i can't imagine why a delusional retard like you would expect people to do anything other than mock you :idunno:

Nice insults. However, according to the Bible...

The soul who sins shall die. Ezekiel 18:4

And have you considered what Jesus said in Luke 13:3?
Unless you repent, you will likewise perish.

He repeats the same thing in Luke 13:5.

Since Jesus is saying the same thing I've been saying, do you also think He is quote/unquote "retarded"?

It appears that all you are able to do is offer insults, but no scriptural support for your unbiblical doctrine of eternal conscious torture in Hell. Too bad.

And you haven't refuted what Jesus said in Matthew 10:28 or Matthew 7:13, and you haven't refuted Matthew 3:12

Aimiel

I'm not going any further in this with you until you read and understand the passages you post.
I understand why: the passages I posted don't agree with your little annihilation theories so you have to ignore them completely. Because you do that you've slipped off the path of Truth. When you get back on it, you can come see me, okay? =)

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
You mean where you said "you are deluded"? I don't know, do you think that it was Christ honoring to claim that I am deluded without anything at all supporting your claim? If so, how is it Christ honoring to insult other people?
Your posts are the supporting evidence.

And Christ insulted people all the time.

I haven't denied any scripture, and I quoted scripture which says the same thing I am saying, and you denied that it said what it was saying.
No, I disagreed with your interpretation in light of other Scripture. As Scripture does not contradict itself it is clear you are wrong as Scripture is correct. It says what it means and means what it says. You don't know what it means.

No, you haven't. You've given me insults.
My first post in this thread after you resurrected it the other day was loaded with Scripture. I then showed you that "punishment" in one of your pet verses is used only one other time in the entire Bible and then is translated as "torment." I even linked to a lexicon explaining what the word means, showing that you were in error in your assumptions.

I need to see the chapter and verse supporting this claim.
And why am I not surprised you ignored the Scripture I did post...

You're a troll and a hack; nothing you have to say is worth anything of any measure.

In the meantime consider what Jesus Christ had to say about those who are sent to Gehenna:
Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell (greek: Gehenna)
Matthew 10:28

If the body and soul are not destroyed in Gehenna, but are continuously aware of torment, then Jesus was wrong and you are right.

Also, you still haven't refuted Jesus' statement in Matthew 7:13
No, you are wrong about the intent of Jesus' words when He said "destroy" and "destruction."

ἀπόλλυμι is used metaphorically when referencing hell.

1. to destroy
    1. to put out of the way entirely, abolish, put an end to ruin
    2. render useless
    3. to kill
    4. to declare that one must be put to death
    5. metaph. to devote or give over to eternal misery in hell
    6. to perish, to be lost, ruined, destroyed
  2. to destroy
    1. to lose

It's the same word used in Matthew 10:28 for "destroy" and Luke 13:3, 5 for "perish."

ἀπώλεια in Matthew 7:13 means "the destruction which consists of eternal misery in hell."

1. destroying, utter destruction
    1. of vessels
  2. a perishing, ruin, destruction
    1. of money
    2. the destruction which consists of eternal misery in hell

In Matthew 3:12 the fire is said to be "unquenchable." Do you know what that means? The word in Matthew 10:28 and Luke 13:3, 5 is the root word for the word in Matthew 3:12. And it, in turn, comes from ἀπό which means "of separation."

1. of separation
    1. of local separation, after verbs of motion from a place i.e. of departing, of fleeing, ...
    2. of separation of a part from the whole
      1. where of a whole some part is taken
    3. of any kind of separation of one thing from another by which the union or fellowship of the two is destroyed
    4. of a state of separation, that is of distance
      1. physical, of distance of place
      2. temporal, of distance of time
  2. of origin
    1. of the place whence anything is, comes, befalls, is taken
    2. of origin of a cause

It is the fellowship between them and God that is destroyed.

And Ezekiel 18:4 is מוּת, which is translated as "to die." But in light of all the rest of the evidence it is clear that this "death" is a metaphorical death of the spirit, wherein it is, as ἀπό shows, a separation from God where fellowship with Him is destroyed. For it is this type of death suffered by Jesus.

And about the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying, [Jesus]“Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?”[/Jesus] that is, [Jesus]“My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me?”[/Jesus]
-Matthew 27:46

And at the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying, [Jesus]“Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?”[/Jesus] which is translated, [Jesus]“My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me?”[/Jesus]
-Mark 15:34

Timotheos

I understand why: the passages I posted don't agree with your little annihilation theories so you have to ignore them completely. Because you do that you've slipped off the path of Truth. When you get back on it, you can come see me, okay? =)

The passages you posted do not support the false doctrine of eternal conscious torment. I showed you that they didn't say that the lost will be conscious of torment in hell forever and they did say that the unrepentant will be destroyed and consumed by fire. If you want, you can post your proof-texts one by one and we can examine them together.

Timotheos

Your posts are the supporting evidence.
I see supporting scripture in my posts. I see insults and putdowns in the posts from the other side. I don't see any evidence that I am "deluded" or "retarded".

And Christ insulted people all the time.
1. You are not Christ.
2. You don't love other people like Christ does.
3. You have been commanded by Christ to love your enemies.

No, I disagreed with your interpretation in light of other Scripture.
I've posted a lot of scripture that supports the destruction of those who reject God. You didn't address the scripture that I posted, you didn't show how it doesn't mean what it says, and you didn't show how the scripture you posted supports your position or why you think a symbolic passage from the apocalyptic Book of Revelation should trump all of the rest of scripture.

You also lost the debate the minute you starting using insults.

As Scripture does not contradict itself it is clear you are wrong as Scripture is correct. It says what it means and means what it says. You don't know what it means.
I don't believe that scripture does contradict itself. I believe that you don't understand scripture, so when I show you what the scriptures say, you ignore that in favor of your tradition.

My first post in this thread after you resurrected it the other day was loaded with Scripture. I then showed you that "punishment" in one of your pet verses is used only one other time in the entire Bible and then is translated as "torment." I even linked to a lexicon explaining what the word means, showing that you were in error in your assumptions.
Your posts are filled with insults and putdowns. If you want to discuss scripture, like I've been asking from the beginning, we can discuss it now. Do you wish to start over, without insults and putdowns?

And why am I not surprised you ignored the Scripture I did post...
I have not ignored any scripture.

You're a troll and a hack; nothing you have to say is worth anything of any measure.
I suppose you would think I was brilliant if I called people "deluded retards", but I don't consider that to be effective conversation. We have different standards of what is "of any measure". Cheer on Mr "Resurrected", he says things that you respect. He called me a "deluded retard". I'm not sure why you think I should give your comments any respect. Now you've called me a troll and a hack, again without any sort of proof at all. Look at your posts, and "Resurrected". Name calling and constant putdowns seems to me to be more trollish than me posting the scripture that says that those who reject God will perish.

No, you are wrong about the intent of Jesus' words when He said "destroy" and "destruction."

ἀπόλλυμι is used metaphorically when referencing hell.

1. to destroy
    1. to put out of the way entirely, abolish, put an end to ruin
    2. render useless
    3. to kill
    4. to declare that one must be put to death
    5. metaph. to devote or give over to eternal misery in hell
    6. to perish, to be lost, ruined, destroyed
  2. to destroy
    1. to lose

It's the same word used in Matthew 10:28 for "destroy" and Luke 13:3, 5 for "perish."

ἀπώλεια in Matthew 7:13 means "the destruction which consists of eternal misery in hell."

1. destroying, utter destruction
    1. of vessels
  2. a perishing, ruin, destruction
    1. of money
    2. the destruction which consists of eternal misery in hell
You found a definition of destruction that means "not destroyed", by someone who shares your view. Good job. All you are really saying is "people who agree with me agree with me". That isn't saying much.
Here is what an expert in the Greek language has to say about that (Dr. Weymouth)
My mind fails to conceive a grosser misinterpretation of language than when the five or six strongest words which the Greek tongue possesses, signifying 'destroy,' or 'destruction,' are explained to mean maintaining an everlasting but wretched existence. To translate black as white is nothing to this."​

You are attempting to tell me that destruction actually means "eternally NOT destroyed, but kept preserved forever in Hell being tormented". That is a little far-fetched, don't you think? Am to MOCK me for not agreeing with you that DESTROYED means NOT DESTROYED seems a little disingenuous to say the least. If Apollumi actually does mean "Never Destroyed" as you claim, then why do all of the translators translate it as "destroyed"?

In Matthew 3:12 the fire is said to be "unquenchable." Do you know what that means? The word in Matthew 10:28 and Luke 13:3, 5 is the root word for the word in Matthew 3:12. And it, in turn, comes from ἀπό which means "of separation."

of separation
of local separation, after verbs of motion from a place i.e. of departing, of fleeing, ...
of separation of a part from the whole
where of a whole some part is taken
of any kind of separation of one thing from another by which the union or fellowship of the two is destroyed
of a state of separation, that is of distance
physical, of distance of place
temporal, of distance of time
of origin
of the place whence anything is, comes, befalls, is taken
of origin of a cause
You've missed the point. In Matthew 3:12, it says that the chaff is burned up. The greek word katakausai means "burned up". It doesn't mean "separation". So your definition of "separation" is absolutely irrelevant. The greek word means "completely consumed by fire". Just as the chaff is completely consumed by fire, those who reject God will be completely consumed by fire. When chaff is consumed by fire it does not remain unconsumed and tortured by the fire. And I know what "unquenchable" means. It means that it is unable to be quenched. It will continue to burn until the fuel is gone. It can't be put out before the fuel is consumed. What unquenchable does not mean is "continually burning forever and never consuming the fuel".

And Ezekiel 18:4 is מוּת, which is translated as "to die." But in light of all the rest of the evidence it is clear that this "death" is a metaphorical death of the spirit...
You say "it is clear that this "death" is a metaphorical death of the spirit". Do you see how that is an unproven assumption? It doesn't SAY that "this death is a metaphorical death of the spirit". You are assuming that, and haven't proven it. And you mock me for not following along with your unproven assumptions based on your faith in an unbiblical tradition. Also the Hebrew word "Muth" does NOT mean "a metaphorical death of the spirit".

And about the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying, [Jesus]“Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?”[/Jesus] that is, [Jesus]“My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me?”[/Jesus]
-Matthew 27:46

And at the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying, [Jesus]“Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?”[/Jesus] which is translated, [Jesus]“My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me?”[/Jesus]
-Mark 15:34
I'm not sure why you think these 2 verses prove that death doesn't mean death and it means separation instead. Are you claiming that Jesus didn't die on the cross? God did not forsake Jesus on the cross. Jesus was quoting Psalm 22. Psalm 22 is a prophecy of Jesus' death on the cross.

If you don't start with your assumption that the wicked are tortured alive in Hell forever, you don't get to that conclusion by reading scripture. Look at John 3:16
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life". The two alternatives are spelled out here. Just look at what the scripture says. Either a person will perish or they will have eternal life. Whoever believes in Him will not perish. Whoever believes in Him will have eternal life. Whoever rejects Him will perish. Whoever rejects Him will not have eternal life. They will not have eternal life in Heaven, or in Hell. They will not have eternal life anywhere. So they can't be tortured alive forever in Hell. They would have to have eternal life in order for that to happen, and they don't. I can't believe that you can just reject scripture completely.

Timotheos

Lighthouse said:
Taking a break from the insults of the opposition and getting back to what the scriptures say:
Jesus said in John 5:24
Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life. He does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life.
He has passed from death into life, eternal life. Jesus did not say 'Whoever believes has passed from eternal life being tortured in hell to eternal life with no torture'.

The false doctrine of eternal torture has no Biblical support, but the true doctrine of Conditional Immortality (The condition for immortality being faith in Jesus Christ) has support from the entire Bible. It is astonishing that so many people believe in eternal torture in Hell despite the fact that there is not one verse in the entire Bible that says "the wicked will go to Hell when they die where they will be tortured alive forever." (While they are dead!)

Aimiel

The passages you posted do not support the false doctrine of eternal conscious torment. I showed you that they didn't say that the lost will be conscious of torment in hell forever and they did say that the unrepentant will be destroyed and consumed by fire. If you want, you can post your proof-texts one by one and we can examine them together.
The passages you post do not support the false doctrine of annihilationism. Pretending that your texts are the end of the discussion and ignoring the Truths God's Word expresses about eternal conscious torment only reveals your agenda and whom you work for.

Timotheos

The passages you post do not support the false doctrine of annihilationism. Pretending that your texts are the end of the discussion and ignoring the Truths God's Word expresses about eternal conscious torment only reveals your agenda and whom you work for.

Just so I understand. You think that if I quote Jesus Christ and I believe what he says,that means that I am following Satan? That's strange.