toldailytopic: Drill baby, drill. Should the US government lift drilling restrictions

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for August 31st, 2011 10:07 AM

toldailytopic: Drill baby, drill. Should the US government lift drilling restrictions on oil reserves across the country?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

toldailytopic: Drill baby, drill. Should the US government lift drilling restrictions on oil reserves across the country?

By all means. Drill baby drill! All these environuts are helping drive up the cost of gas and make the US dependent on Arab oil. It would also create jobs for US citizens. Then the Arabs can just pack up and look for someone else to buy their oil.

Last edited by a moderator:

some other dude

See? Now we have to stop calling it "Arab" oil. It's our oil, the Arabs just happen to be squatting on top of it.

We should charge them rent.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
toldailytopic: Drill baby, drill. Should the US government lift drilling restrictions on oil reserves across the country

Well.....all that oil ain't gunna hitch-hike it's way to the refinery. :plain:

Krsto

I think the only people that should have any say in whether to drill in Alaska, for example, are those directly impacted on the North Slope, along the pipeline running to Valdez, and the residents around Prince William Sound at the southern terminus of the pipeline. Who else should have a say in the matter? Some Sierra Club wacko sticking his nose in other people's business?

Krsto

Well.....all that oil ain't gunna hitch-hike it's way to the refinery. :plain:

We would also need to increase refinery capacity because with our current wells they just need to ramp up to full production to max out the refineries.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
We would also need to increase refinery capacity because with our current wells they just need to ramp up to full production to max out the refineries.

We might even consider building new refineries.

kmoney

Hall of Fame

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

I'm thinking no.

PureX

Should the US government lift drilling restrictions on oil reserves across the country?
No.

Step #1. of addiction recovery states that we admit that we are powerless over our addiction (in this case to oil) and that our lives have become unmanageable as a result. The unmanageable part is obvious.

The only way to stop an addiction is to stop. Half measures (like going to a different liquor store) will not work. We need to force ourselves to begin developing other sources of power.

There likely is not going to be one single immediate solution to our energy needs. We're going to have to tailor energy production to geography and available resources, like wind where it's windy, hydro where dams can be built, geothermal where such conditions allow, natural gas where there is an abundance, nuclear and even coal where they can be used safely and responsibly. And it's time to begin developing the hydrogen cycle as an ultimate fuel source, as it is the preferred method of the entire universe, when it comes to energy storage. Ultimately, all of the Earth's energy comes from the sun, so we need a way to create hydrogen using the energy from the sun. This is not difficult. And we already have the means of extracting that energy from the hydrogen in several ways, and without ANY damage to the environment.

If we couple our energy needs with the multiple sources available, and with high-tech efficiency, we can survive the necessary transition without drilling for more oil. All we really need is just a little time until we can develop and create a hydrogen based energy distribution network. It's a big job but not that big. We could do it in 10 years.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
No.

Step #1. of addiction recovery states that we admit that we are powerless over our addiction (in this case to oil) and that our lives have become unmanageable as a result. The unmanageable part is obvious.

The only way to stop an addiction is to stop. Half measures (like going to a different liquor store) will not work. We need to force ourselves to begin developing other sources of power.

There likely is not going to be one single immediate solution to our energy needs. We're going to have to tailor energy production to geography and available resources, like wind where it's windy, hydro where dams can be built, geothermal where such conditions allow, natural gas where there is an abundance, nuclear and even coal where they can be used safely and responsibly. And it's time to begin developing the hydrogen cycle as an ultimate fuel source, as it is the preferred method of the entire universe, when it comes to energy storage. Ultimately, all of the Earth's energy comes from the sun, so we need a way to create hydrogen using the energy from the sun. This is not difficult. And we already have the means of extracting that energy from the hydrogen in several ways, and without ANY damage to the environment.

If we couple our energy needs with the multiple sources available, and with high-tech efficiency, we can survive the necessary transition without drilling for more oil. All we really need is just a little time until we can develop and create a hydrogen based energy distribution network. It's a big job but not that big. We could do it in 10 years.

Don't be silly.....I don't have a problem.

I can quit anytime I want. :plain:

PureX

Don't be silly.....I don't have a problem.

I can quit anytime I want. :plain:
Right, and burning fossil fuels doesn't hurt the environment, nor does spilling all that oily sludge across thousands of miles of American coastline. Nor does giving a bunch of tenth century nomads billions of American dollars to go buy fun toys with, like tanks and jet fighters.

So why would we want to quit?