toldailytopic: Does it bother you to see Christmas items for sale as early as the end

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for August 17th, 2012 11:35 AM

toldailytopic: Does it bother you to see Christmas items for sale as early as the end of August or in September?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

toldailytopic: Does it bother you to see Christmas items for sale as early as the end of August or in September?

Doesn't bother me.

Cruciform

Does it bother you to see Christmas items for sale as early as the end of August or in September?
Are you kidding? I LOVE Christmas! I listen to Christmas music all year round. Christmas is one of the few happy memories I have from my childhood.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

HisServant

All Christmas is a big event designed to put you in a state of guilt if you do not spend enough money on presents.

No wonder Cruciform loves it /jk

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

To me it's like hurry up and wait, let's get through all this other stuff. It brings the materialistic part to the front. Some people like to get it the shopping over with. Others will procrastinate even though they have these early reminders that Christmas is coming.

It's kind of hard to think Christmas in August or September, or October, and as far as as Halloween is concerned we have nothing to do with it.

So now back to the original question...toldailytopic: Does it bother you to see Christmas items for sale as early as the end of August or September?

Yes.

I wonder what happened to Thanksgiving, my favorite holiday.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yep, Christmas as a shopping event has commercialized the reason for the Season.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No, it doesn't. As a matter of fact, I am already having my kids make their Christmas lists so I can get the shopping out of the way and just enjoy the holiday.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

I am not bothered, but I do find it rather odd. If it were up to me decorations and holiday specific items would be put out only after the previous holiday is over.

Cracked

I love Christmas, but it is strange that the related sales season has been growing longer each year. So, no it doesn't bother me, but then again, I don't see Christmas through the commercial lens exactly.

Speaking of Christmas...
Love this one...

"And in despair I bowed my head, 'There is no peace on earth,' I said,
'For hate is strong and mocks the song, Of peace on earth, good will to men.'
Then pealed the bells more loud and deep: 'God is not dead, nor doth He sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail, With peace on earth, good will to men.'”
--Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
:think: Well, not when you consider that HE was probably born sometime in autumn anyway.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
forum

This thread is now about Christmas music.

BTC Carol of the Bells Medley

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I love Christmas, but it is strange that the related sales season has been growing longer each year. So, no it doesn't bother me, but then again, I don't see Christmas through the commercial lens exactly.

Speaking of Christmas...
Love this one...

"And in despair I bowed my head, 'There is no peace on earth,' I said,
'For hate is strong and mocks the song, Of peace on earth, good will to men.'
Then pealed the bells more loud and deep: 'God is not dead, nor doth He sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail, With peace on earth, good will to men.'”
--Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
"I heard the Bells on Christmas Day" was Mark Twain's favorite Christmas song.