toldailytopic: Did the apostle Peter and the apostle Paul preach the same message?

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
You've already shown one thing upon which they agreed.

They disagreed on the subject of justification by works, though. Peter was with James on that one.

And Acts 15 clearly shows that Peter had been teaching those who converted through his message to keep the law.

I've heard preachers say that Justified means "just as if I'd" and that is an excellent way to explain the totality of God's forgiveness but it is not what justification means. What Pete and Jimmy mean by it is that works or fruit PROVE that the work of grace has been done.

They did expect to see a change of heart in the believer for that is what repentance is, nor would Paul disagreed with them.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
You must be using the LH version. I think you are misreading the passage (MAD filter) and not considering the historical background.
What did "some of the sect of the Pharisees who believed" say before Peter spoke?

I've heard preachers say that Justified means "just as if I'd" and that is an excellent way to explain the totality of God's forgiveness but it is not what justification means. What Pete and Jimmy mean by it is that works or fruit PROVE that the work of grace has been done.
Prove it.

They did expect to see a change of heart in the believer for that is what repentance is, nor would Paul disagreed with them.
And?

john w

Hall of Fame
The resurrection had not happened. He did not deny it, but had a wrong view of the Messiah (like most Jews). This is not evidence that he preached a different gospel than Paul post-cross/resurrection.:bang:

You missed it, because your commentaries have buried your fake bibles.

Peter preached "the gospel of the kingdom" for years. He denied the resurrectiion. Therefore, "the gospel of the kingdom" is not equivalent to 1 Cor. 15:1-4, clown, as your 50000+ spam posts assert.

Paulos

There is absolutely no indication in the book of Acts or in their respective epistles that Peter and Paul preached different gospels. Peter faltered only when he withdrew from eating with Gentiles, but that was not a matter of preaching a different gospel, that was a matter of Peter not being straightforward with regard to the same gospel that he was already preaching (Gal 2:14).

How is 2 Peter 1:9 any different from:

2 Cor 13:5
Examine yourselves as to whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Do you not know yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you?—unless indeed you are disqualified.​

How is 2 Peter 1:10 any different from:

1 Corinthians 9:27
But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified.​

Paul wrote the book of Galatians before he wrote 1 Corinthians. For those of you who think that Paul preached a separate gospel from that of Peter, don't you think he would have mentioned something about that to the Corinthians? But he does not! Instead, this is what he says:

1 Cor 1:10-13, 3:1-4, 11, 21-23, 4:6
Now I plead with you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all agree and that there be no divisions among you. What I mean is that each one of you says "I follow Paul" or "I follow Peter". Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul? But I, brethren, could not address you as spiritual men, but as men of the flesh, as infants in Christ. For when one says, "I follow Paul", or "I follow Apollos", are you not mere men? For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ, so let no one boast of men. For all things are yours, whether Paul or Apollos or Peter. And you are Christ's, and Christ is God's. This is how one should regard us: as servants of Christ and stewards of the mysteries of God, that none of you may be puffed up in favor of one against another.​

Again, Paul wrote all of that after he wrote Galatians 2:11-21, which is proof that they cleared that issue up with each other before Paul wrote 1 Corinthians. It can clearly be seen from the above passages that Paul viewed himself and Peter as fellow "servants of Christ and stewards of the mysteries of God". Furthermore, Paul said that those who do draw a dividing line between himself and Peter are immature, carnal and unspiritual.

The men who "came from James" in Gal 2:12 were of the same sort that James told Paul about in Acts 21:20. James advised Paul to placate this group by letting them see him take part in a vow. Paul agreed, and there was nothing wrong in doing this as Paul himself wrote in 1 Corinthians 9:20, because all involved were Jewish.

The problem with this tactic came in when Gentiles got caught up in the mix. Peter thought he should not offend this group of Jews by letting them see him eat with Gentiles. But Peter's withdrawal from the Gentiles had the effect of making the Gentiles think that they should start observing the Law (Gal 2:14). Not only was this contrary to the teaching of Paul (Gal 3:2-3), it was also contrary to the teaching of James (Acts 21:25). Paul corrected Peter and Peter agreed (1 Cor 3:22, 2 Pet 3:15). So those who say that Paul and James and/or Peter taught different gospels are greatly mistaken.

Here's another quote that blows the two/multiple gospel theory out of the water:

The gospel Paul preached was identical with that proclaimed by the primitive church at Jerusalem. Just as the leaders of that community recognized him and his unique role in the spread of the gospel, so too he elsewhere associated himself with them as a witness to the resurrection and gave thanks to God for how he had worked mightily through all of his apostolic colleagues: "Whether, then, it was I or they, this is what we preached, and this is what you believed" (1 Cor. 15:11).​

Paul said "this is what we preached"—and Paul had mentioned Peter, the 12 disciples, and other witnesses. What was it that "we" preached? That "Christ died for our sins" and the resurrection (1Corinthians 15:3, 4)...In 1Corinthians 15, Paul was obviously unaware that his gospel was different than Peter's!​

Source: http://cicministry.org/commentary/issue108.htm

:up: