toldailytopic: Did the apostle Peter and the apostle Paul preach the same message?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for January 25th, 2012 09:44 AM

toldailytopic: Did the apostle Peter and the apostle Paul preach the same message?

e3_3_1_2a_spanish_art.jpg

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

HisServant

Yes, in a way that was applicable to the culture they were witnessing to.

i.e the Jews would understand Christianity very differently than Gentiles.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No, but after a while, Peter accepted what Paul was preaching. Like after Acts 10, and the rebuke from Paul as told in Galatians.

Paulos

There is absolutely no indication in the book of Acts or in their respective epistles that Peter and Paul preached different gospels. Peter faltered only when he withdrew from eating with Gentiles, but that was not a matter of preaching a different gospel, that was a matter of Peter not being straightforward with regard to the same gospel that he was already preaching (Gal 2:14).

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
why didn't you say same gospel?

you can say there are four gospels
or
you can say there is one gospel
but
you can't say there are two
and
those who suggest this are wresting the words of Paul
and
ignoring common sense

JonahofAkron

There is absolutely no indication in the book of Acts or in their respective epistles that Peter and Paul preached different gospels. Peter faltered only when he withdrew from eating with Gentiles, but that was not a matter of preaching a different gospel, that was a matter of Peter not being straightforward with regard to the same gospel that he was already preaching (Gal 2:14).
Amen to this.

andyc

e3_3_1_2a_spanish_art.jpg

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

The guy on the left looks a bit like the guy in your avatar.

Tico

No.

Col 1:13 He has delivered us from the power of darkness and conveyed us into the kingdom of the Son of His love, 14in whom we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins.

2 Peter 1:9 For he who lacks these things is shortsighted, even to blindness, and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his old sins.
10Therefore, brethren, be even more diligent to make your call and election sure, for if you do these things you will never stumble; 11for so an entrance will be supplied to you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Zeke

They were both witnesses to the same thing they just taught emphasizing different principles.

No the twelve had to be with Christ from the begining to qualify for that circumcision ministery Acts 1:21, 13:31, Romans 15:8, it concerned the flesh seed covenants, and promises Romans 9:5, Acts 3:25 for the purpose that God called them out for Deut 32:8, to be Exodus 19:5-6, God foreknew their failure Deut 32:18, and preserved a remnant through each Generation till the promise could be fulfilled by their kinsmen redeemer from the tribe of Judah. Making a new covenant possible that God promised to them so they could obey Ezekiel 36:26-28, and become that Royal nation 1Peter 2:9, again only a remnant was preserved until the time for God to restore their kingdom Acts 1:6-7, God cut that work short Romans 9:27-28, for the heavenly work, a mystery that would be revealed through Pauls latter epistles for the new creation, not begotten again like the sons of Jacob, Ephesians 1:3-4, 2:4-8, 3:9-10.

Ephesians 3:14-15, Two different works, and hopes.

john w

Hall of Fame

"that was a matter of Peter not being straightforward"-Paulos

Made up. He had a "Boot Camp" with the Commander-In-Chief, the Lord Jesus Christ, for 40 days after the resurrection, filled with the Holy Spirit, raised the dead, made the lame walk, word of knowledged/killed 2 who lied to God(survey Acts 5)..........and, all of a sudden, he turns into Forest Gump......

Sure.

Run, from Paulos....run...

YahuShuan

Yes. They preached the same message all the other "witnesses" did. Same thing contained "in the volume of the book" that was written at the time that was spoken. Only the denominations have caused the divisions of interpretations.

Paulos

No.

Col 1:13 He has delivered us from the power of darkness and conveyed us into the kingdom of the Son of His love, 14in whom we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins.

2 Peter 1:9 For he who lacks these things is shortsighted, even to blindness, and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his old sins.
10Therefore, brethren, be even more diligent to make your call and election sure, for if you do these things you will never stumble; 11for so an entrance will be supplied to you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

How is 2 Peter 1:9 any different from:

2 Cor 13:5
Examine yourselves as to whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Do you not know yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you?—unless indeed you are disqualified.​

How is 2 Peter 1:10 any different from:

1 Corinthians 9:27
But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified.​

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Yes. There is only one saving message and it is the one Gospel of the promised Redeemer, Jesus Christ, as promised to Eve (Genesis 3:15) and proclaimed by Seth, Noah, Job, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Joshua, Moses, David and all the O.T. prophets (Luke 24:44) as well as all the N.T. Apostles and believers since.

Nang

Guyver

BANNED
Banned
"that was a matter of Peter not being straightforward"-Paulos

Made up. He had a "Boot Camp" with the Commander-In-Chief, the Lord Jesus Christ, for 40 days after the resurrection, filled with the Holy Spirit, raised the dead, made the lame walk, word of knowledged/killed 2 who lied to God(survey Acts 5)..........and, all of a sudden, he turns into Forest Gump......

Sure.

Run, from Paulos....run...

Man you are wound up tight. You're right on the edge.

As to the OP....pretty much what most people have been saying. There's one faith, one hope, one gospel that saves. I see why people would think it's two....the Jew's were a unique group of people. And that's why even today it's understood when we refer to Jew and Gentile as a description of all people.

I don't agree that Peter and Paul preached a different message. I do agree that the disagreement with Peter and Paul was over Peter's hypocrisy in withdrawing from the gentile brothers. I do think that Paul saw the truth about the gentiles more clearly and earlier than Peter did though.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

At first not. They didn't even get along at first. Peter's ministry was primarily to the Jews.

Galatians 2:8 _ (for He who worked effectively in Peter for the apostleship to the circumcised also worked effectively in me toward the Gentiles),

Peter has a hard time letting the Gentles he converted be Gentles at first. Paul disagreed with this and justly so for which he rebuked him sharply.

Galatians 2:11-16

11 Now when Peter had come to Antioch, I withstood him to his face, because he was to be blamed; 12 for before certain men came from James, he would eat with the Gentiles; but when they came, he withdrew and separated himself, fearing those who were of the circumcision. 13 And the rest of the Jews also played the hypocrite with him, so that even Barnabas was carried away with their hypocrisy. 14 But when I saw that they were not straightforward about the truth of the gospel, I said to Peter before them all, “If you, being a Jew, live in the manner of Gentiles and not as the Jews, why do you compel Gentiles to live as Jews? 15 We who are Jews by nature, and not sinners of the Gentiles, 16 knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law but by faith in Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, that we might be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the law; for by the works of the law no flesh shall be justified.

Last edited by a moderator: