toldailytopic: Christian Counceling: Good or Bad?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for August 3rd, 2012 01:48 PM

toldailytopic: Christian Counceling: Good or Bad?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Good provided the counselor is saved and giving biblically based advice only and not worldly advice.

Letsargue

This. :thumb:

There’s no such thing in Scriptures for the lost. - If one is not Christian, he may need the Sheriff, or some other person his own type.

The only counseling found in Scriptures is the only Truth of counseling of the Christian. >>-- Proverbs 24:6 KJV – “For by wise counsel (( thou shalt make thy war )): and ( in “multitude of counselors” ) there is safety”. ----//-- I doubt that anyone here knows what God is talking about.

Paul – 080312

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
There’s no such thing in Scriptures for the lost.
What part of ":thumb:" brought that to mind. :plain:

- If one is not Christian, he may need the Sheriff, or some other person his own type.
I think you're thinking of a different subject.

The only counseling found in Scriptures is the only Truth of counseling of the Christian. >>-- Proverbs 24:6 KJV – “For by wise counsel (( thou shalt make thy war )): and ( in “multitude of counselors” ) there is safety”. ----//-- I doubt that anyone here knows what God is talking about.
I doubt anyone here knows what your talking about. So that makes us even.

tudorturtl

Isa_9:6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

Letsargue

What part of ":thumb:" brought that to mind. :plain:

I think you're thinking of a different subject.

I doubt anyone here knows what your talking about. So that makes us even.

I gave ((( the only ))) account of (( Counselors )) and (( Counselling )) ((( Described in all of the Scriptures ))). The only other counselling you could possibly be talking about, is the Counselling of the ((((((( "Gospel" ))))))))!!!!!!!

I gave you Scripture for my Faith, and gave ( Reason ) for the lack of Faith on the others' part, and I’m still ( Wrong ))?????
You gave ( no ) ( Truth ); - you gave ( no ) ( Reason ); - therefore, - “( Because ) of that”, - “Therefore”, --- Yours is by ((( definition ))) of God, and words, - Yours is ((( “Unreasonable ))), like it or not!!!!!!!

Paul – 080412

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
Much much better than secular counseling. I would much rather work through problems with somebody I know believes in God.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I gave ((( the only ))) account of (( Counselors )) and (( Counselling )) ((( Described in all of the Scriptures ))). The only other counselling you could possibly be talking about, is the Counselling of the ((((((( "Gospel" ))))))))!!!!!!!
Whatever spilled on your keyboard is playing heck with your punctuation.

You should have that looked at.

I gave you Scripture for my Faith, and gave ( Reason ) for the lack of Faith on the others' part, and I’m still ( Wrong ))?????
All that over a ":thumb:"?

I shudder to think of your response had I chosen :upright: :party: :singer:

You gave ( no ) ( Truth ); - you gave ( no ) ( Reason ); - therefore, - “( Because ) of that”, - “Therefore”, --- Yours is by ((( definition ))) of God, and words, - Yours is ((( “Unreasonable ))), like it or not!!!!!!!
Mine was a general support of ebenz's reasonable post. I think you're still out of sorts over my counselling you elsewhere. :plain: That's what I think.

Letsargue

Whatever spilled on your keyboard is playing heck with your punctuation.

You should have that looked at.

All that over a ":thumb:"?

I shudder to think of your response had I chosen :upright: :party: :singer:

Mine was a general support of ebenz's reasonable post. I think you're still out of sorts over my counselling you elsewhere. :plain: That's what I think.

(((( NO ))))!!!! -- I just gave the (( Truth ))!! - Truth matters, and words matter. Words have meaning, and give "reason", whether you do or have, or not. That's what "Unreasonable" means: having no reason for anything but-self!!!

You're just trying to keep your donkey from talking for you!! - Anyhow, nothing you have said yet has proven me wrong, and you know it!! --- Look again, your hate is still showing!!

Paul -- 080412

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
(((( NO ))))!!!! -- I just gave the (( Truth ))!! - Truth matters, and words matter. Words have meaning,
I can only imagine this is what watching Jack pull the training wheels off of his bike is going to feel like. That's right. Words mean things and truth matters. I could almost burst into song.

and give "reason", whether you do or have, or not. That's what "Unreasonable" means: having no reason for anything but-self!!!
Now if I can only get you to invest in a dictionary we could agree on definitions.

You're just trying to keep your donkey from talking for you!!
Clever devil you. :eek: You just made a funny, did't you. :thumb:

Now I've gone and used he thumb thingy again. Who knows what it portends...

- Anyhow, nothing you have said yet has proven me wrong, and you know it!! --- Look again, your hate is still showing!!
Seriously Paul, you should cut back on the coffee. I gave ebenz a thumbs up for her comment. Then you went off on something not appearing to have anything to do with it.

I'm no more invested in proving you're wrong than you appear to be in proving yourself rational. Now shoo! Scat! Back to Kansas with you. :D

And for the record I don't even dislike you. You're like a crazy uncle who shows up at Christmas family gatherings to denounce the season.

Paul -- 080312
Have you ever thought of putting that at the beginning of your post too and maybe here and there in the body of it, lest any forget? And did you ever say what that number is all about? :think:

PureX

Christian Counceling: Good or Bad?
Years ago, when I was living in Chicago, there used to be a TV preacher on that offered religious counseling both as part of his TV message, through books and brochures, and through personal meetings. And he was quite 'hard core' religious in that he referred to various obsessions and addictions as "demon possession".

At first I dismissed this guy as a crackpot and a religious charlatan but I was home sick for a few days and out of boredom I watched a couple of his shows. And I was surprised to discover that in spite of his hyper-reliogious and superstitious language, he was actually giving people very sound advice. He was just doing it via the religious terminology that his followers and himself understood and believed in. Any proper psychologist would have essentially offered the same solutions, although using more modern and scientific terms. But I doubt the people this preacher was seeking to help would have ever gone to a real psychologist. Both for money reasons and because of their beliefs.

So this guy changed my mind about religion-based counseling. I now can see that even though the language and imagery may be vastly different between modern psychology and some religion-based psychological counseling, there is no reason that both cannot offer similar practical, functional and effective help.

But it's important to watch out for the charlatans on both sides of the counseling fence, as they do exist, and in no small number.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Christian Counceling: Good or Bad?

Knight, I know you think that sometimes I lean toward the ambiguous fence sitting position on a thing, so I'm going to be a clear in my answer here as is humanly possible: yes, yes, a thousand times, yes!

There. Happy? :plain:

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I think it depends on the people and the situation.

^ This ...

Also, I think it depend on *the* Christian counselor.

My experience with the four I utilized many years ago was mixed ... three were great, the other one ... not so much.

Letsargue

I can only imagine this is what watching Jack pull the training wheels off of his bike is going to feel like. That's right. Words mean things and truth matters. I could almost burst into song.

Now if I can only get you to invest in a dictionary we could agree on definitions.

Clever devil you. :eek: You just made a funny, did't you. :thumb:

Now I've gone and used he thumb thingy again. Who knows what it portends...

Seriously Paul, you should cut back on the coffee. I gave ebenz a thumbs up for her comment. Then you went off on something not appearing to have anything to do with it.

I'm no more invested in proving you're wrong than you appear to be in proving yourself rational. Now shoo! Scat! Back to Kansas with you. :D

And for the record I don't even dislike you. You're like a crazy uncle who shows up at Christmas family gatherings to denounce the season.

Have you ever thought of putting that at the beginning of your post too and maybe here and there in the body of it, lest any forget? And did you ever say what that number is all about? :think:

Well I suppose you think you proved me wrong somehow, but I don’t think you have!!

Paul – 080412