toldailytopic: Can the assassination of a dictator be justified?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aimiel

Aimiel, we have people to "do" what we want. The question is not "can we do it" but "shoud we". Who "should" we kill? The more than obvious answer is "our enemies", whoever they are.
that's not what I said...

We don't need an excuse to do what's right. We just need someone to do it.
I'm not worried about enough people to do whatever they want, they're all over the world and making enough of a mess of things already; I'm rooting for men to do what's right. Those are far and few between. The murderers in question are doing what they want: murdering. If there were enough good men, there wouldn't be any murderous leaders.

Aner

Sometimes waiting for the inevitable is just stupid.

So we kill someone else because we FEAR that they might kill us????

Worse, we kill someone else's children because we FEAR that their government might kill us???

A life led by a spirit of FEAR.....

Doing evil that "good" might result.

Sorry - none of this is Christ - just evil and corrupt human mind that Jesus intended to save us from.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Depends. Many people use the word dictator to describe a monarchy. To rephrase the question, should a government take out other world leaders that are an abomination to God, yes.

Should a private person do it without permission or a price? No.

Define "abomination to God".

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Define "abomination to God".

And for that matter, define "dictator".

It seems like this is a matter of drawing an arbitrary line somewhere and I'm not sure how arbitrary we should be when it comes to something like this. Although, even if you say we shouldn't assassinate and just go to war, that's not much more objective.

Aimiel

Sorry - none of this is Christ - just evil and corrupt human mind that Jesus intended to save us from.
All have sinned, but we still need to judge righteously. If we left decisions for our military up to squeamish little girls like yourself, we'd never defeat a single tyrant. A Caesar might still rule the world. :chuckle:

Aner

squeamish little girls like yourself

I can just imagine what you would have called Jesus after his Mount Sermon - turning the other cheek, praying for your enemies and all that gay sort of sissy stuff....

Some are ruled by FEAR - some are ruled by FAITH....

Aner

And for that matter, define "dictator".

Dictator = The elite right wing corporatacracy and right wing media (CNN, MSNBC, etc.), and MIC that rule America.....

All worthy to be assassinated - just following the Bible because it is expedient....

Aimiel

I can just imagine what you would have called Jesus after his Mount Sermon - turning the other cheek, praying for your enemies and all that gay sort of sissy stuff....

Some are ruled by FEAR - some are ruled by FAITH....
Praying for my enemies or turning the other cheek is no problem for me. I've been tested enough times to know that to be fact. You mess with my family, friends or other loved ones, you get the short end of the stick. I'm appointed to be faithful and defend my family, and take that job very seriously. Those who aren't under God are under the rule of law. If you don't like that, perhaps you aren't as civilized as you think. The government and the ministers whom God has appointed to defend your rights and your property aren't put there by mistake or by accident. God designed this country for a reason, and it's military and it's police forces aren't just for show. Perhaps one day you'll learn these things the hard way. I pray you don't.

Aimiel

...tough guy...

You may play whatever you want - it does not really matter to me.
That's my point exactly, to you, it's playtime; but to men, it's serious stuff. When it comes to my family, friends or other loved ones, I'll defend them with my life, if necessary. If you're not ready to do so, then you're not yet a man. When you are (if indeed you ever are) then you will understand. Until then, you need to stay on the porch behind your mommy's skirts.

WandererInFog

In retrospect, had someone assasinated Hitler, before WWII was started, millions would not have been murdered. As it stands, the suffering and deaths are the result of not doing what is not only expedient, but demanding to be done: eliminate the evil dictator before the murders spread outside his own borders.

That's certainly one possibility, but it's also possible that it would've simply made him a martyr, been blamed on "The Jews", and one of the more millitarily competent members of the Nazi Party ended up as Chancellor resulting in a much, much bloodier war with a far worse outcome. And that's without even speculating on how it might have provided fuel for the fascist movements in the US & Britain.

While assasination may in certain cases be moral, in far fewer is it a wise course of action.

Aimiel

That's certainly one possibility, but it's also possible that it would've simply made him a martyr, been blamed on "The Jews", and one of the more millitarily competent members of the Nazi Party ended up as Chancellor resulting in a much, much bloodier war with a far worse outcome. And that's without even speculating on how it might have provided fuel for the fascist movements in the US & Britain.

While assasination may in certain cases be moral, in far fewer is it a wise course of action.
I don't doubt but that any man stepping into Hitler's office after his assassination would certainly think twice before stepping on any more international toes, and he'd keep Hitler's un-timely demise front-and-center in his thinking, diplomatically and otherwise.

Ecumenicist

Countering evil with more evil just perpetuates evil.

Hence Jesus' radical left wing commandment to love our enemies.

Ecumenicist

I don't doubt but that any man stepping into Hitler's office after his assassination would certainly think twice before stepping on any more international toes, and he'd keep Hitler's un-timely demise front-and-center in his thinking, diplomatically and otherwise.

And fighting a war against Eichmann or Himmler would have been so much more pleasant.

Assasinating Hitler would have added a martyr figure to the German social schizophrenia from which Nazis emerged.

Ecumenicist

And fighting a war against Eichmann or Himmler would have been so much more pleasant.

Assasinating Hitler would have added a martyr figure to the German social schizophrenia from which Nazis emerged.

Actually, had Hitler been assassinated earlier on and a more competent leader chosen, the treaty with Russia would have been upheld, Russia would never have been attacked,
and France and England would be speaking German now. And we might be speaking Russian.

Aimiel

Countering evil with more evil just perpetuates evil. Hence Jesus' radical left wing commandment to love our enemies.
Evil-doers will still commit sin, whether there is punishment or not. It is only the presence of God that prevents. Obeying Him gives us power over our enemies. Keeping the evil dictators of this world from taking it over is our charge.

Aimiel

Actually, had Hitler been assassinated earlier on and a more competent leader chosen, the treaty with Russia would have been upheld, Russia would never have been attacked, and France and England would be speaking German now. And we might be speaking Russian.
Don't quit your day job.

Aimiel

I agree. We shouldn't stand around while they do evil.
Those who oppose God don't want us to stand up to evil men or do anything that is good and right. They try to use Scripture verses to show us the 'error' of our ways, but men know in their hearts what is right and what is wrong. Dave Miller believes many things which oppose Christianity, as do many others who profess to be Christians.

Status
Not open for further replies.