toldailytopic: Are sports that involve fighting (such as UFC) immoral?

Status
Not open for further replies.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
No. Some fighting sports (like wrestling of course) are more like acting. :rolleyes:

It's always a good to improve one's fighting ability. You never know when/if you'll need it (Lk 22:36).

A Christian should not participate in meditation (e.g. "mokso", etc.) We are Christ-centered.

Last edited:
A what-if (for Christians on board). Would a Christian man, filled with the Holy Spirit, decorate himself with a thousand tatoos and drooling throughout, hurt another man, throw him to the canvas and proceed to pummel him to the point of permanent injury?

Yes. It's a blast! I just competed in my first MMA Fight last November. I'm on another card July 30th. I fight mainly on Police vs Firefighter cards and we always raise money for a sick or injured firefighter or police officer. I'm also an Associate Pastor here in Colorado!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7X877kHt70

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOWtFhy0CoU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swHgiEHJXQI

There are more videos on Facebook and YouTube (Search jerfink2003)

Buzzword

Yes. It's a blast! I just competed in my first MMA Fight last November. I'm on another card July 30th. I fight mainly on Police vs Firefighter cards and we always raise money for a sick or injured firefighter or police officer. I'm also an Associate Pastor here in Colorado!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7X877kHt70

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOWtFhy0CoU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swHgiEHJXQI

There are more videos on Facebook and YouTube (Search jerfink2003)

You are officially AWESOME!!!

NO mixed martial arts is not immoral.
It teaches good self-discipline, perfects the physical constitution, and IMO is much more a chess match than any other sport could ever hope to be.

Mixed martial arts (the technical term for the sport most Americans associate with Ultimate Fighting Championships) requires mastery of MULTIPLE fighting techniques, and the ability to transition between them while defending against all of them.

A fight starts standing, but kickboxing becomes wrestling becomes grappling becomes wrestling becomes kickboxing within SECONDS.

Strict guidelines prevent injury (aside from freak accidents), and most professional fighters are humble and respectful, and also work a day-job in addition to fight training.

It does seem like you're either a hardcore fan or completely ignorant, as MMA fandom requires as much if not more knowledge than MMA competition.
Different striking techniques(punches, kicks, knees, elbows), takedowns (wrestling, judo, jiu-jitsu, etc.), joint locks, chokes, dominant grappling positions.....yeah, there's a lot.

I've been a fan for just over 3 years, and I'm already to the point of finding all other sports boring.

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
I think there should be more sporting events that involve fighting. And sports that don't have fighting, should. Then sports like baseball and golf wouldn't be so boring to watch.

In fact, I think gladiatorial combat like the Romans had should be brought back.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No, it is not immoral. Ginormous UFC fans can always be found at our home...BIG TIME!

With a house full of testosterone dripping off the walls I say, let the games begin, boys, and enjoy!

csuguy

There's nothing immoral with fighting sports - they fight willingly, and they don't do it to kill eachother [although death is possible and physical injury is assured].

I suppose an argument could be made that it is immoral for the fighters to do it - since they are destroying their bodies. But, then again, they have to get in great physical shape to fight. As long as they call it quits when its their time to quit, its fine.

Lucky

Hall of Fame
I know it is fun to wrestle. A nice pile drive to the face... or a punch to the face... but you cannot do it. Because, it is in the Bible not to wrestle your neighbor.

One Eyed Jack

I think there should be more sporting events that involve fighting. And sports that don't have fighting, should. Then sports like baseball and golf wouldn't be so boring to watch.

In fact, I think gladiatorial combat like the Romans had should be brought back.

It probably will.

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
I don't think the various violent sports themselves are but the individual motivations and behavior of the participants can be. Important distinction there.

rainee

I think MC above makes a good point.

But put that aside for e moment, please, ok?

The topic of the day asks about UFC, without even mentioning boxing -
the time old fighting sport.

Does anyone here think boxing is not wrong?
Bouncing brains around in bobbing heads is not wrong?

And without going further into that - let us now stir the pot.

Ladies and Gentlemen,
Football is not wrong???

Come now!

It is like watching a mini war!

Please!

It is like watching gladiators with no weapons but their own
bodies!

And here is a question - which is more violent?
American football or European Football (or British)?

ps Would you watch all woman teams play American Football?

(And yes, do sometimes watch football with my brother and get all upset and excited and thus enjoy it!
But when Tebow got knocked in the head I suddenly felt kind of bad and guilty, it's true)

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
I think MC above makes a good point.

But put that aside for e moment, please, ok?

The topic of the day asks about UFC, without even mentioning boxing -
the time old fighting sport.

Does anyone here think boxing is not wrong?
Bouncing brains around in bobbing heads is not wrong?

And without going further into that - let us now stir the pot.

Ladies and Gentlemen,
Football is not wrong???

Come now!

It is like watching a mini war!

Please!

It is like watching gladiators with no weapons but their own
bodies!

And here is a question - which is more violent?
American football or European Football (or British)?

ps Would you watch all woman teams play American Football?

(And yes, do sometimes watch football with my brother and get all upset and excited and thus enjoy it!
But when Tebow got knocked in the head I suddenly felt kind of bad and guilty, it's true)
My step-son takes Karate classes and spars often. I cheer him on, I'm very proud of the progress he's made and enjoy the opportunity that each sparring match gives him to improve. And sometimes he gets hurt. And sometimes he hurts someone else. It's not intentional, exactly. Just more or less an inevitable part of sparring. If he and his sparring partner accept that risk in the interest of pursuing the sport, that is not immoral. If he or his sparring partner set out intentionally to cause injury, then that would be immoral. See the distinction?

Likewise my husband and I spar often together. And I box, with sparring a necessary part of that training. All of that involves training to do violence and sparring itself is intentionally doing violence to someone else. It's all in the intent and motivation here. When sparring, both parties accept the risks and trust one another conduct themselves in a sportsmanly (yes, that's a word) manner.

Likewise professional boxing, football and even hockey. All involved agree to a particular level of violence (and the resulting risk) in the interests of pursuing a competitive sport. When the individuals involved deviate from what's mutually consented upon and trusted in one another, then it becomes immoral.

Tyson boxing Holyfield: good. Tyson biting Holyfield's ear off: bad.

That's what I was inferring when I mentioned individual behavior. Sport itself is not immoral, it's actually a great way to utilize competition to improve one's skill. Violating that already would be wrong, so all the more especially in a violent manner.

rainee

Hi Mary Contrary,
Thank you for the great post:

My step-son takes Karate classes and spars often. I cheer him on, I'm very proud of the progress he's made and enjoy the opportunity that each sparring match gives him to improve. And sometimes he gets hurt. And sometimes he hurts someone else. It's not intentional, exactly. Just more or less an inevitable part of sparring. If he and his sparring partner accept that risk in the interest of pursuing the sport, that is not immoral. If he or his sparring partner set out intentionally to cause injury, then that would be immoral. See the distinction?

Yes, yes, I do see, and - strangely or maybe not - my mom said almost the exact same thing about the people involved in sports having a say and choice of being there.
And no doubt a lot can be learned such as self control, dedication, discipline and best of all good sportsmanship.

However, being an arguer myself, would you let your stepson get into race car driving if that is what he wanted?

Likewise my husband and I spar often together. And I box, with sparring a necessary part of that training. All of that involves training to do violence and sparring itself is intentionally doing violence to someone else. It's all in the intent and motivation here. When sparring, both parties accept the risks and trust one another conduct themselves in a sportsmanly (yes, that's a word) manner.

Well, taking the risk is the thing. But maybe I am too much of a hag, for there is risk in everything.
But if you were mine - would I let you box?
I have to say no. Your brain is too precious. And I don't think it bounces well either. If God wanted you to box wouldn't your brain be made of silly putty type matter and not - - uh - well, whatever it is made of?
Karate is good though - all about controlling the strikes and blocking, yes? A+ Which makes me ask is UFC more like karate?

Likewise professional boxing, football and even hockey. All involved agree to a particular level of violence (and the resulting risk) in the interests of pursuing a competitive sport. When the individuals involved deviate from what's mutually consented upon and trusted in one another, then it becomes immoral.

Are you familiar with Tim Tebow? He was with the Gators.
He sustained a concussion in one game, right?

But the next game I saw him in (and he was cleared to play)
as a guy moved in to tackle him, Tim seemed slower and he got hit without his hands and arms moving up to protect him.
He is a young man. I don't know if this is right or not...
And that also is a question of morality, isn't it?

Although of course you are very right about any immoral (unsportsmanlike) act done in sports is wrong too, as you say:

Tyson biting Holyfield's ear off: bad.

That's what I was inferring when I mentioned individual behavior. Sport itself is not immoral, it's actually a great way to utilize competition to improve one's skill. Violating that already would be wrong, so all the more especially in a violent manner.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
It especially is, between dogs and between chickens, unless it's not as a sport, in which case it's simply evil and... not immoral?

It is worse than with humans? Do you prefer dogs and chickens to humans?

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for May 11th, 2010 10:31 AM

toldailytopic: Are sports that involve fighting (such as UFC) immoral?

quinton-jackson-mma.jpg

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

I think we lace too much emphasis on morality. Look at how the Jewish priests condemned Jesus for immoral acts. It is not so much an issue of morality as one to gauge a healthy mind capable of doing good. I do not see much good in this; however, one might say that about football, which I like very much. Boxing and these new fighting games seems one dimensional 'man beats up man' show, which I do not care for. Now wrestling, as fake as it was, seemed amusing, then they went way too far, now it is a clown act.

It is just not my thing.

Flipper

I will say that in my somewhat limited experience, MMA fighters (pro and amateur) are typically good guys who carefully observe the rules of the ring so that no unnecessary injury is inflicted. When someone taps out, the fight is done. There isn't much tolerance for jerks.

Status
Not open for further replies.