toldailytopic: Are sports that involve fighting immoral?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for August 31st, 2010 11:54 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

The Berean

:rotfl:

Look at your avatar, man!

That dude looks ready for battle...

Sports that involve fighting prepare a man (or woman in need) for battle. So no, that's not immoral. How could it possibly be immoral?
Though my avatar is a fictional character, he was a trained warrior who fought in real battles within his fictional world. He didn't "fight" as a sporting event! :D

bybee

Well

Well

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for August 31st, 2010 11:54 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

probably not immoral, just horrible! I can't bear to watch people getting punched.
I suspect that the promoters of these violent "sports" may be engaged in immoral activities as they stage these events. They aren't getting their brains beaten to a pulp. :shocked:

The Berean

probably not immoral, just horrible! I can't bear to watch people getting punched.
I suspect that the promoters of these violent "sports" may be engaged in immoral activities as they stage these events. They aren't getting their brains beaten to a pulp. :shocked:

That's pretty much the history of boxing. The promoters and mangers get all the money and the boxers get their brains beat and many go broke after they retire. First it was the mob that got rich, now, it's corporations, hotels, and Don King types. There is a scene in the movie Ali where Ali's handlers are negotiating with a promoter. One the handlers asked why did every heavyweight champion before Muhammad Ali end up broke? Boxers could always generate lots of money. Keeping it was another matter.

There's a scene in the movie Cinderella Man where boxer James Braddock's (played by Russell Crow) manager is giving Braddock his cut of a fight he had just won. After the manager takes all the money for "expenses" he hands Braddock almost $9,000 in cash. That's pretty good pay for about an hour's work in the late 1920s!!

Last edited:

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Sports that don't cater for fighting aren't sports. :idunno:

Memento Mori

Though my avatar is a fictional character, he was a trained warrior who fought in real battles within his fictional world. He didn't "fight" as a sporting event! :D

That dude's a total loser. He usually winds up on the butt end of a bad joke. Maybe you should go with FMA or DBZ (you know, a man's anime).

In relation to this sporting event, I see nothing inherently wrong with it as long as both competitors realize the risks. Even those which more often risk death like sword fighting or duels. As long as everyone involved consents, I see nothing wrong with it.

Squishes

I don't think it's immoral, but I can try to play devil's advocate. If we suppose the following principle to be true, then fighting sports may be immoral:

It is wrong to intentionally harm another human being unless you have good overriding reasons.

I take it that his principle is both reasonable and true, so the question is whether fighting sports have good overriding reasons.

MrRadish

I don't think they're inherently immoral provided everyone's agreed to take part (so I do disagree with blood sports). I do think that popularised exhibitions of violence can give out some rather questionable messages though. I worry it can encourage people to relish conflict and violence as means to an end, and basically to enjoy watching people get hurt. But it's not immoral in and of itself.

Todah

The golden rule which in various forms of basic morality states, "do unto others, as you would have them do unto you.".....of course it is immoral.

If both combatants willingly suspend that "rule" for the rules of the fighting sport to which they, both enjoy, it is a more difficult answer.

I think wresting is the only true fighting sport. It is a match of one man's strength, skill and endurance-will against another.

It hurts one's body and pride to be pinned, but is rarely a source of life threatening, or permanent injury.

I used to love to watch boxing. I think the current Mixed martial arts is sick, and can't watch it.

It is as risky as bull riding, which I do not consider immoral, just plain gutsy-stupid.

Memento Mori

I don't think they're inherently immoral provided everyone's agreed to take part (so I do disagree with blood sports). I do think that popularised exhibitions of violence can give out some rather questionable messages though. I worry it can encourage people to relish conflict and violence as means to an end, and basically to enjoy watching people get hurt. But it's not immoral in and of itself.

I think the nightly news exhibits enough violence...

zoo22

I don't think there's anything immoral about fighting sports. I think there's a problem with the spectators who relish in a bloodlust, and with those who'll manipulate that bloodlust to cash in on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.