toldailytopic: Animal cruelty. Is there such a thing? Where is the line?

Status
Not open for further replies.

One Eyed Jack

Pigs like feeling danger is locked out. Did you know one can train a pig like a dog? No, they cannot perform like a dog, but they will come to see themselves belonging with dogs.

They're actually easier to train than dogs, for the most part. They can be pretty stubborn about certain things, though.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
They're actually easier to train than dogs, for the most part. They can be pretty stubborn about certain things, though.

We could have quite a discussion about pigs, I have raised many and I agree, pigs learn differently than most dog breeds, as we know dogs of different breeds have a natural propensity for mastering different things.

One thing I did try is to domesticate wild pigs and found myself unsuccessful, as with full wolves, they do not seem able or willing to become domesticated. I have been on a few sites that had members that claim to have wolves, or high content wolf-dogs; I have never seen so much baloney!

Now back to pigs; have you noted that pigs will retrieve a ball without the horseplay common to most dogs? At the same time, I agree, most pigs will not come to learn many things which dogs learn quite well. My experience is limited to basic domestic farm pigs and a a bit of an attempt to manage young trapped wild ones.

Many, in Texas, like to hunt wild hogs, yet I found trapping the small ones and feeding corn for a month, makes for a tasty meal. :chew:

One Eyed Jack

I can't get the pig to fetch at all, something all my dogs seemed to do instinctively. He just looks at me like "if you wanted it, why'd you throw it over there?" On the other hand, I've never had a dog that was as easy to house train.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I can't get the pig to fetch at all, something all my dogs seemed to do instinctively. He just looks at me like "if you wanted it, why'd you throw it over there?" On the other hand, I've never had a dog that was as easy to house train.

:chuckle:

Granite

Hall of Fame
Sounds like you have the wrong dog.

Yes, using animals as whipping posts is cruel and mentally abnormal.

No, we have the right one, thank you. But she's barely a year old and from a rather troubled background. I expect she'll need less crating over the years.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Descartes once kicked a dog to demonstrate his belief that it was no more than a machine
and
I agree with him on that
but
I don't kick dogs
I would like to kick some of the owners

One Eyed Jack

Pigs are smarter than dogs, when playing fetch with them I think instead of a stick you're supposed to use a truffle?

He'll just eat it when he gets to it. I've seen some pigs do it, but he doesn't seem to be too into fetch. I usually use a ball with the dog, but he'll fetch pretty much anything I toss.

Alate_One

He'll just eat it when he gets to it. I've seen some pigs do it, but he doesn't seem to be too into fetch. I usually use a ball with the dog, but he'll fetch pretty much anything I toss.

Truffles only work on lady pigs. Dogs are pretty smart, and they're much better at understanding humans than pigs anyway.

grit

:smile: That's why you hide a pig medicine pill in it or dip the truffle in expectorant. :yes: I don't know, maybe that just works for dogs too? I didn't do well in pig training class, and I seem to be losing perspective on the physics of fetching and math in general - I'm still trying to wrap my logic around what appears to me as a two-eyed One Eyed Jack. It isn't easy being green, but it helps that you've explained it in your motto. Thanks.

grit

Truffles only work on lady pigs.
That makes perfect sense, 'cause on hidsight the tempting of Adam and Eve with fruit may appear a bit sexist. I mean, of course Eve was gonna go for fruit, and Adam probably had more of a taste for ribs and a beer?

The Horn

BANNED
Banned
It's ridiculous to compare cruelty to animals with abortion.
Apples and oranges. First of all, the vast majority of abortions take place before a fetus even has the capacity to feel pain. This is a medically proven fact.
Abortion is not done with cruel intentions,whether you approve of it or not. And in the rare cases where late term abortions happen, doctors use anesthetics to prevent suffering. Abortions usually take only a few minutes, while cruelty to animals is often done on a prolonged basis.
But cruelty to animals is based purely on the perverse desire of some
people to cause suffering to animals. This is truly reprehensible and infinitely worse than abortion.
People who are guilty of cruelty to animals are the truly despicable ones,not abortion doctors.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It's ridiculous to compare cruelty to animals with abortion.
Apples and oranges. First of all, the vast majority of abortions take place before a fetus even has the capacity to feel pain. This is a medically proven fact.
Abortion is not done with cruel intentions,whether you approve of it or not. And in the rare cases where late term abortions happen, doctors use anesthetics to prevent suffering. Abortions usually take only a few minutes, while cruelty to animals is often done on a prolonged basis.
But cruelty to animals is based purely on the perverse desire of some
people to cause suffering to animals. This is truly reprehensible and infinitely worse than abortion.
People who are guilty of cruelty to animals are the truly despicable ones,not abortion doctors.

:blabla:

Abortion doctors, aborters and those who are cruel to animals have one thing in common: they are all selfish people who intentionally snuff out the lives of those who are incapable of defending themselves.

lucy

Crate training works wonders.. My Chihuahua, Chula, was not house trained until I learned about crating. You crate the dog when they are young, letting them out every couple of hours or so and immediately taking them outside to do their "business" . You also have to control when they eat. Feed in the crate in the morning, then take outside right after eating. If you want to get your dog to do his business "on command", then while they are sniffing for a good spot, say "Hurry, Hurry quick" or some other phrase, and when they actually do their duty, praise, praise, praise! Then it is back to the crate with a yummy treat. Soon they will LOVE the crate because it is always treat time when they go into their crate. Always have water available in the crate, but not food. Do the same in the evening, but add lots of play. Take outside after eating and after playing and always give a treat when going back into the crate. After awhile they will get the idea that outside is for doing their business, not inside the house.
The command phrase works wonders, too, especially if you travel with your pet. When Chula travels with me by car and I have take a bathroom stop, I can get Chula to do her business quickly by telling her to "hurry quick" when I walk her.
Also, be sure the crate you get is big enough for the dog to stand up and turn around. A healthy dog will not soil his own bed, unless he is still a puppy. That is why crating works. You don't want to give him enough room to walk around, like in a kennel "run", because he won't consider a big space to be his bed area. If the area is too big, he will soil as far away from his “bed” as possible, so just fencing off an area of the kitchen or laundry room will not work. The area has to be limited so the dog will identify it as a sleeping area only.

One Eyed Jack

My dog wasn't crate-trained. He actually learned to conduct himself like a house-pet from my brother's dog.

My brother would put him in the crate because of his girlfriend, about whom the less is said, the better. I'm just glad she's gone.

One Eyed Jack

That makes perfect sense, 'cause on hidsight the tempting of Adam and Eve with fruit may appear a bit sexist. I mean, of course Eve was gonna go for fruit, and Adam probably had more of a taste for ribs and a beer?

Truffles are fungi. Pigs love them, and they'll dig them up if they can find them.

lucy

My dog wasn't crate-trained. He actually learned to conduct himself like a house-pet from my brother's dog.

My brother would put him in the crate because of his girlfriend, about whom the less is said, the better. I'm just glad she's gone.

Ahh, you have a smart dog. Yes, there are some who are naturally intelligent and will house train themselves. Unfortunately, my little Chula is not too bright! I still love her a lot though!

My nephew has a dog that will "crate himself". He is very smart animal. Ken just says, "Go Crate" and the dog will run get in his crate. If the door is closed (not locked but ajar), the dog will nose it open and go right in. Weird. Chula would never be able to do that.
You can put her behind the flimsiest of barriers and she won't have a clue she can get out if she would just push against it.

Status
Not open for further replies.