The Sabbath commandment is one of the Ten Commandments.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
The Sabbath commandment is one of the Ten Commandments.

Here are some scriptures that speak of the six days in which work can be done, and the Sabbath day.

Exodus 16:26 NASB - 26 "Six days you shall gather it, but on the seventh day, the sabbath, there will be none."​

Exodus 20:8-11 NASB - 8 "Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 "Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is a sabbath of the LORD your God; in it you shall not do any work, you or your son or your daughter, your male or your female servant or your cattle or your sojourner who stays with you. 11 "For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day; therefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day and made it holy.​

Exodus 31:12-18 NASB - 12 The LORD spoke to Moses, saying, 13 "But as for you, speak to the sons of Israel, saying, 'You shall surely observe My sabbaths; for this is a sign between Me and you throughout your generations, that you may know that I am the LORD who sanctifies you. 14 'Therefore you are to observe the sabbath, for it is holy to you. Everyone who profanes it shall surely be put to death; for whoever does any work on it, that person shall be cut off from among his people. 15 'For six days work may be done, but on the seventh day there is a sabbath of complete rest, holy to the LORD; whoever does any work on the sabbath day shall surely be put to death. 16 'So the sons of Israel shall observe the sabbath, to celebrate the sabbath throughout their generations as a perpetual covenant.' 17 "It is a sign between Me and the sons of Israel forever; for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, but on the seventh day He ceased from labor, and was refreshed." 18 When He had finished speaking with him upon Mount Sinai, He gave Moses the two tablets of the testimony, tablets of stone, written by the finger of God.​

Exodus 34:21 NASB - 21 "You shall work six days, but on the seventh day you shall rest; even during plowing time and harvest you shall rest.​

Exodus 35:1-3 NASB - 1 Then Moses assembled all the congregation of the sons of Israel, and said to them, "These are the things that the LORD has commanded you to do: 2 "For six days work may be done, but on the seventh day you shall have a holy day, a sabbath of complete rest to the LORD; whoever does any work on it shall be put to death. 3 "You shall not kindle a fire in any of your dwellings on the sabbath day."​

Leviticus 23:3 NASB - 3 'For six days work may be done, but on the seventh day there is a sabbath of complete rest, a holy convocation. You shall not do any work; it is a sabbath to the LORD in all your dwellings.​

Deuteronomy 5:12-15 NASB - 12 'Observe the sabbath day to keep it holy, as the LORD your God commanded you. 13 'Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 14 but the seventh day is a sabbath of the LORD your God; in it you shall not do any work, you or your son or your daughter or your male servant or your female servant or your ox or your donkey or any of your cattle or your sojourner who stays with you, so that your male servant and your female servant may rest as well as you. 15 'You shall remember that you were a slave in the land of Egypt, and the LORD your God brought you out of there by a mighty hand and by an outstretched arm; therefore the LORD your God commanded you to observe the sabbath day.​

Ezekiel 46:1 NASB - 1 'Thus says the Lord GOD, "The gate of the inner court facing east shall be shut the six working days; but it shall be opened on the sabbath day and opened on the day of the new moon.​

Luke 13:14 NASB - 14 But the synagogue official, indignant because Jesus had healed on the Sabbath, began saying to the crowd in response, "There are six days in which work should be done; so come during them and get healed, and not on the Sabbath day."​

Here are scriptures that speak of the Sabbath.

Genesis 2:2 NASB - By the seventh day God completed His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done.

Genesis 2:3 NASB - Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made.

Exodus 16:23 then he said to them, "This is what the LORD meant: Tomorrow is a sabbath observance, a holy sabbath to the LORD. Bake what you will bake and boil what you will boil, and all that is left over put aside to be kept until morning."

Exodus 16:25 Moses said, "Eat it today, for today is a sabbath to the LORD; today you will not find it in the field.

Exodus 16:26 "Six days you shall gather it, but on the seventh day, {the} sabbath, there will be none."

Exodus 16:29 "See, the LORD has given you the sabbath; therefore He gives you bread for two days on the sixth day. Remain every man in his place; let no man go out of his place on the seventh day."

Exodus 16:30 NASB - So the people rested on the seventh day.

Exodus 20:8 "Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.

Exodus 20:9 "Six days you shall labor and do all your work,

Exodus 20:10 but the seventh day is a sabbath of the LORD your God; {in it} you shall not do any work, you or your son or your daughter, your male or your female servant or your cattle or your sojourner who stays with you.

Exodus 20:11 "For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day; therefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day and made it holy.

Exodus 23:12 NASB - "Six days you are to do your work, but on the seventh day you shall cease from labor so that your ox and your donkey may rest, and the son of your female slave, as well as your stranger, may refresh themselves.

Exodus 31:14 'Therefore you are to observe the sabbath, for it is holy to you. Everyone who profanes it shall surely be put to death; for whoever does any work on it, that person shall be cut off from among his people.

Exodus 31:15 'For six days work may be done, but on the seventh day there is a sabbath of complete rest, holy to the LORD; whoever does any work on the sabbath day shall surely be put to death.

Exodus 31:16 'So the sons of Israel shall observe the sabbath, to celebrate the sabbath throughout their generations as a perpetual covenant.'

Exodus 31:17 NASB - "It is a sign between Me and the sons of Israel forever; for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, but on the seventh day He ceased from labor, and was refreshed."

Exodus 34:21 NASB - "You shall work six days, but on the seventh day you shall rest; even during plowing time and harvest you shall rest.

Exodus 35:2 "For six days work may be done, but on the seventh day you shall have a holy {day,} a sabbath of complete rest to the LORD; whoever does any work on it shall be put to death.

Exodus 35:3 "You shall not kindle a fire in any of your dwellings on the sabbath day."

Leviticus 16:31 "It is to be a sabbath of solemn rest for you, that you may humble your souls; it is a permanent statute.

Leviticus 23:3 'For six days work may be done, but on the seventh day there is a sabbath of complete rest, a holy convocation. You shall not do any work; it is a sabbath to the LORD in all your dwellings.

Leviticus 24:8 "Every sabbath day he shall set it in order before the LORD continually; it is an everlasting covenant for the sons of Israel.

Numbers 15:32 Now while the sons of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man gathering wood on the sabbath day.

Numbers 28:9 'Then on the sabbath day two male lambs one year old without defect, and two-tenths {of an} {ephah} of fine flour mixed with oil as a grain offering, and its drink offering:

Numbers 28:10 '{This is} the burnt offering of every sabbath in addition to the continual burnt offering and its drink offering.

Deuteronomy 5:12 'Observe the sabbath day to keep it holy, as the LORD your God commanded you.

Deuteronomy 5:13 'Six days you shall labor and do all your work,

Deuteronomy 5:14 but the seventh day is a sabbath of the LORD your God; {in it} you shall not do any work, you or your son or your daughter or your male servant or your female servant or your ox or your donkey or any of your cattle or your sojourner who stays with you, so that your male servant and your female servant may rest as well as you.

Deuteronomy 5:15 'You shall remember that you were a slave in the land of Egypt, and the LORD your God brought you out of there by a mighty hand and by an outstretched arm; therefore the LORD your God commanded you to observe the sabbath day.

2 Kings 11:5 He commanded them, saying, "This is the thing that you shall do: one third of you, who come in on the sabbath and keep watch over the king's house

2 Kings 11:7 "Two parts of you, {even} all who go out on the sabbath, shall also keep watch over the house of the LORD for the king.

2 Kings 11:9 So the captains of hundreds did according to all that Jehoiada the priest commanded. And each one of them took his men who were to come in on the sabbath, with those who were to go out on the sabbath, and came to Jehoiada the priest.

2 Kings 16:18 The covered way for the sabbath which they had built in the house, and the outer entry of the king, he removed from the house of the LORD because of the king of Assyria.

1 Chronicles 9:32 Some of their relatives of the sons of the Kohathites {were} over the showbread to prepare it every sabbath.

2 Chronicles 23:4 "This is the thing which you shall do: one third of you, of the priests and Levites who come in on the sabbath, {shall be} gatekeepers,

2 Chronicles 23:8 So the Levites and all Judah did according to all that Jehoiada the priest commanded. And each one of them took his men who were to come in on the sabbath, with those who were to go out on the sabbath, for Jehoiada the priest did not dismiss {any of} the divisions.

Nehemiah 9:14 "So You made known to them Your holy sabbath, And laid down for them commandments, statutes and law, Through Your servant Moses.

Nehemiah 10:31 As for the peoples of the land who bring wares or any grain on the sabbath day to sell, we will not buy from them on the sabbath or a holy day; and we will forego {the crops} the seventh year and the exaction of every debt.

Nehemiah 13:15 In those days I saw in Judah some who were treading wine presses on the sabbath, and bringing in sacks of grain and loading {them} on donkeys, as well as wine, grapes, figs and all kinds of loads, and they brought {them} into Jerusalem on the sabbath day. So I admonished {them} on the day they sold food.

Nehemiah 13:16 Also men of Tyre were living there {who} imported fish and all kinds of merchandise, and sold {them} to the sons of Judah on the sabbath, even in Jerusalem.

Nehemiah 13:17 Then I reprimanded the nobles of Judah and said to them, "What is this evil thing you are doing, by profaning the sabbath day?

Nehemiah 13:18 "Did not your fathers do the same, so that our God brought on us and on this city all this trouble? Yet you are adding to the wrath on Israel by profaning the sabbath."

Nehemiah 13:19 It came about that just as it grew dark at the gates of Jerusalem before the sabbath, I commanded that the doors should be shut and that they should not open them until after the sabbath. Then I stationed some of my servants at the gates {so that} no load would enter on the sabbath day.

Nehemiah 13:21 Then I warned them and said to them, "Why do you spend the night in front of the wall? If you do so again, I will use force against you." From that time on they did not come on the sabbath.

Nehemiah 13:22 And I commanded the Levites that they should purify themselves and come as gatekeepers to sanctify the sabbath day. {For} this also remember me, O my God, and have compassion on me according to the greatness of Your lovingkindness.

Isaiah 56:2 "How blessed is the man who does this, And the son of man who takes hold of it; Who keeps from profaning the sabbath, And keeps his hand from doing any evil."

Isaiah 56:6 "Also the foreigners who join themselves to the LORD, To minister to Him, and to love the name of the LORD, To be His servants, every one who keeps from profaning the sabbath And holds fast My covenant;

Isaiah 58:13 "If because of the sabbath, you turn your foot From doing your {own} pleasure on My holy day, And call the sabbath a delight, the holy {day} of the LORD honorable, And honor it, desisting from your {own} ways, From seeking your {own} pleasure And speaking {your own} word,

Isaiah 66:23 "And it shall be from new moon to new moon And from sabbath to sabbath, All mankind will come to bow down before Me," says the LORD.

Jeremiah 17:21 'Thus says the LORD, "Take heed for yourselves, and do not carry any load on the sabbath day or bring anything in through the gates of Jerusalem.

Jeremiah 17:22 "You shall not bring a load out of your houses on the sabbath day nor do any work, but keep the sabbath day holy, as I commanded your forefathers.

Jeremiah 17:24 "But it will come about, if you listen attentively to Me," declares the LORD, "to bring no load in through the gates of this city on the sabbath day, but to keep the sabbath day holy by doing no work on it,

Jeremiah 17:27 "But if you do not listen to Me to keep the sabbath day holy by not carrying a load and coming in through the gates of Jerusalem on the sabbath day, then I will kindle a fire in its gates and it will devour the palaces of Jerusalem and not be quenched.'""

Ezekiel 46:1 'Thus says the Lord GOD, "The gate of the inner court facing east shall be shut the six working days; but it shall be opened on the sabbath day and opened on the day of the new moon.

Ezekiel 46:4 "The burnt offering which the prince shall offer to the LORD on the sabbath day shall be six lambs without blemish and a ram without blemish;

Ezekiel 46:12 "When the prince provides a freewill offering, a burnt offering, or peace offerings {as} a freewill offering to the LORD, the gate facing east shall be opened for him. And he shall provide his burnt offering and his peace offerings as he does on the sabbath day. Then he shall go out, and the gate shall be shut after he goes out.

Amos 8:5 saying, "When will the new moon be over, So that we may sell grain, And the sabbath, that we may open the wheat {market,} To make the bushel smaller and the shekel bigger, And to cheat with dishonest scales,

Matthew 12:1 At that time Jesus went through the grainfields on the Sabbath, and His disciples became hungry and began to pick the heads {of grain} and eat.

Matthew 12:2 But when the Pharisees saw {this,} they said to Him, "Look, Your disciples do what is not lawful to do on a Sabbath."

Matthew 12:5 "Or have you not read in the Law, that on the Sabbath the priests in the temple break the Sabbath and are innocent?

Matthew 12:8 "For the Son of Man is Lord of the Sabbath."

Matthew 12:10 And a man {was there} whose hand was withered. And they questioned Jesus, asking, "Is it lawful to heal on the Sabbath?"--so that they might accuse Him.

Matthew 12:11 And He said to them, "What man is there among you who has a sheep, and if it falls into a pit on the Sabbath, will he not take hold of it and lift it out?

Matthew 12:12 "How much more valuable then is a man than a sheep! So then, it is lawful to do good on the Sabbath."

Matthew 24:20 "But pray that your flight will not be in the winter, or on a Sabbath.

Mark 1:21 They went into Capernaum; and immediately on the Sabbath He entered the synagogue and {began} to teach.

Mark 2:23 And it happened that He was passing through the grainfields on the Sabbath, and His disciples began to make their way along while picking the heads {of grain.}

Mark 2:24 The Pharisees were saying to Him, "Look, why are they doing what is not lawful on the Sabbath?"

Mark 2:27 Jesus said to them, "The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath.

Mark 2:28 "So the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath."

Mark 3:2 They were watching Him {to see} if He would heal him on the Sabbath, so that they might accuse Him.

Mark 3:4 And He said to them, "Is it lawful to do good or to do harm on the Sabbath, to save a life or to kill?" But they kept silent.

Mark 6:2 When the Sabbath came, He began to teach in the synagogue; and the many listeners were astonished, saying, "Where did this man {get} these things, and what is {this} wisdom given to Him, and such miracles as these performed by His hands?

Mark 16:1 When the Sabbath was over, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the {mother} of James, and Salome, bought spices, so that they might come and anoint Him.

Luke 4:16 And He came to Nazareth, where He had been brought up; and as was His custom, He entered the synagogue on the Sabbath, and stood up to read.

Luke 4:31 And He came down to Capernaum, a city of Galilee, and He was teaching them on the Sabbath;

Luke 6:1 Now it happened that He was passing through {some} grainfields on a Sabbath; and His disciples were picking the heads of grain, rubbing them in their hands, and eating {the grain.}

Luke 6:2 But some of the Pharisees said, "Why do you do what is not lawful on the Sabbath?"

Luke 6:5 And He was saying to them, "The Son of Man is Lord of the Sabbath."

Luke 6:6 On another Sabbath He entered the synagogue and was teaching; and there was a man there whose right hand was withered.

Luke 6:7 The scribes and the Pharisees were watching Him closely {to see} if He healed on the Sabbath, so that they might find {reason} to accuse Him.

Luke 6:9 And Jesus said to them, "I ask you, is it lawful to do good or to do harm on the Sabbath, to save a life or to destroy it?"

Luke 13:10 And He was teaching in one of the synagogues on the Sabbath.

Luke 13:14 But the synagogue official, indignant because Jesus had healed on the Sabbath, {began} saying to the crowd in response, "There are six days in which work should be done; so come during them and get healed, and not on the Sabbath day."

Luke 13:15 But the Lord answered him and said, "You hypocrites, does not each of you on the Sabbath untie his ox or his donkey from the stall and lead him away to water {him?}

Luke 13:16 "And this woman, a daughter of Abraham as she is, whom Satan has bound for eighteen long years, should she not have been released from this bond on the Sabbath day?"

Luke 14:1 It happened that when He went into the house of one of the leaders of the Pharisees on {the} Sabbath to eat bread, they were watching Him closely.

Luke 14:3 And Jesus answered and spoke to the lawyers and Pharisees, saying, "Is it lawful to heal on the Sabbath, or not?"

Luke 14:5 And He said to them, "Which one of you will have a son or an ox fall into a well, and will not immediately pull him out on a Sabbath day?"

Luke 23:54 It was the preparation day, and the Sabbath was about to begin.

Luke 23:56 Then they returned and prepared spices and perfumes. And on the Sabbath they rested according to the commandment.

John 5:9 Immediately the man became well, and picked up his pallet and {began} to walk. Now it was the Sabbath on that day.

John 5:10 So the Jews were saying to the man who was cured, "It is the Sabbath, and it is not permissible for you to carry your pallet."

John 5:16 For this reason the Jews were persecuting Jesus, because He was doing these things on the Sabbath.

John 5:18 For this reason therefore the Jews were seeking all the more to kill Him, because He not only was breaking the Sabbath, but also was calling God His own Father, making Himself equal with God.

John 7:22 "For this reason Moses has given you circumcision (not because it is from Moses, but from the fathers), and on {the} Sabbath you circumcise a man.

John 7:23 "If a man receives circumcision on {the} Sabbath so that the Law of Moses will not be broken, are you angry with Me because I made an entire man well on {the} Sabbath?

John 9:14 Now it was a Sabbath on the day when Jesus made the clay and opened his eyes.

John 9:16 Therefore some of the Pharisees were saying, "This man is not from God, because He does not keep the Sabbath." But others were saying, "How can a man who is a sinner perform such signs?" And there was a division among them.

John 19:31 Then the Jews, because it was the day of preparation, so that the bodies would not remain on the cross on the Sabbath (for that Sabbath was a high day), asked Pilate that their legs might be broken, and {that} they might be taken away.

Acts 1:12 Then they returned to Jerusalem from the mount called Olivet, which is near Jerusalem, a Sabbath day's journey away.

Acts 13:14 But going on from Perga, they arrived at Pisidian Antioch, and on the Sabbath day they went into the synagogue and sat down.

Acts 13:27 "For those who live in Jerusalem, and their rulers, recognizing neither Him nor the utterances of the prophets which are read every Sabbath, fulfilled {these} by condemning {Him.}

Acts 13:42 As Paul and Barnabas were going out, the people kept begging that these things might be spoken to them the next Sabbath.

Acts 13:44 The next Sabbath nearly the whole city assembled to hear the word of the Lord.

Acts 15:21 "For Moses from ancient generations has in every city those who preach him, since he is read in the synagogues every Sabbath."

Acts 16:13 And on the Sabbath day we went outside the gate to a riverside, where we were supposing that there would be a place of prayer; and we sat down and began speaking to the women who had assembled.

Acts 18:4 And he was reasoning in the synagogue every Sabbath and trying to persuade Jews and Greeks.

Colossians 2:16 Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day--

Hebrews 4:4 NASB - For He has said somewhere concerning the seventh day: "AND GOD RESTED ON THE SEVENTH DAY FROM ALL HIS WORKS";

Hebrews 4:9 So there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God.​

Here we have scripture about the new covenant from the prophet Jeremiah.

Jeremiah 31:31-34 NASB - 31 "Behold, days are coming," declares the LORD, "when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah, 32 not like the covenant which I made with their fathers in the day I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, although I was a husband to them," declares the LORD. 33 "But this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days," declares the LORD, "I will put My law within them and on their heart I will write it; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. 34 "They will not teach again, each man his neighbor and each man his brother, saying, 'Know the LORD,' for they will all know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them," declares the LORD, "for I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more."​

The following scripture may be important but I'm not sure just how or if it pertains to the Sabbath or not. Some may have faith but don't observe the Sabbath. Otherwise, if that is not the case, this verse is not speaking about the Sabbath. Leaving it out though would not help. The question is if the new covenant, which is for the house of Israel and the house of Judah, and is God's law written upon hearts and minds, includes the Sabbath, the Ten Commandments, and the whole of old covenant law, or the Law given to the nation of Israel at Mount Sinai, His covenant He made with them, of which as a proselyte or convert to Israel and Judaism while remaining a United States Citizen and a Christian, I have an interest, in being a new covenant believer and having chosen to observe Torah even though I have never been to Israel. At the present time I observe outside the land of Israel. But I am also hoping people come to a correct understanding with the entirety of God's word whether they are of Israel or not, in the church the body of Christ or not.

Romans 14:5 NASB - 5 One person regards one day above another, another regards every day alike. Each person must be fully convinced in his own mind.​

Is this that some have learned to observe and some haven't? Is it that some who are of faith are of Israel and some are not? Is it that a person of faith may or may not observe the Sabbath? Is it that if you have faith in God you may observe the Sabbath but you are not saved by it (as with all of the law you are not saved by keeping it or being perfect) so if you do so you ought to obey (or observe it) in faith? These might be some questions people ask or questions which may be important to people whether they have come into observing Torah or not. It is even a commandment that may be observed by a person wanting to be obedient to God, who is learning about the laws of the nation of Israel or his relationship to God's law or wanting to observe God's law. God accepts those who obey (who obey Him) in faith.

Remember, salvation is in Yeshua (Jesus) as with the new covenant. In Jeremiah we read about the new covenant, and in the gospels we see that the new covenant came in Jesus.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Yes, observing the sabbath is one of the Ten Commandments. That means it's part of the Law.

Galatians 2:11 Now when Peter[a] had come to Antioch, I withstood him to his face, because he was to be blamed; 12 for before certain men came from James, he would eat with the Gentiles; but when they came, he withdrew and separated himself, fearing those who were of the circumcision. 13 And the rest of the Jews also played the hypocrite with him, so that even Barnabas was carried away with their hypocrisy.

14 But when I saw that they were not straightforward about the truth of the gospel, I said to Peter before them all, “If you, being a Jew, live in the manner of Gentiles and not as the Jews, why do you compel Gentiles to live as Jews? 15 We who are Jews by nature, and not sinners of the Gentiles, 16 knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law but by faith in Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, that we might be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the law; for by the works of the law no flesh shall be justified.

17 “But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, is Christ therefore a minister of sin? Certainly not! 18 For if I build again those things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor. 19 For I through the law died to the law that I might live to God. 20 I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me. 21 I do not set aside the grace of God; for if righteousness comes through the law, then Christ died in vain.

You don't need the Law, Jacob! If you're a believer then righteousness has been imputed to you because your unrighteousness was imputed to Him. Why do you seek to take down from the cross that which God nailed there for your benefit?

Collosians 2:13 And you, being dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He has made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses, 14 having wiped out the handwriting of requirements that was against us, which was contrary to us. And He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross.​

Forget the rules written on stone and live by the law of love. Do rightly, not because there is a list of rules on the wall saying to do this and not to that, but because you love God, your neighbor and yourself. You didn't begin your relationship based upon the flesh. What makes you think your walk with God should be based on your flesh?

Galatians 3:2 This only I want to learn from you: Did you receive the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? 3 Are you so foolish? Having begun in the Spirit, are you now being made perfect by the flesh?​

I could go on quoting Paul all morning but I'm out of time. The point though is clear. Paul's entire ministry is "Do NOT partake of the Law! You don't need the law, you need Christ and nothing else!"

Galatians 3:24 Therefore the law was our tutor to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith. But after faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor.​

Resting in The Lord of the Sabbath,
Clete

Last edited:

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
This thread also serves as my response to the thread "How important is the Sabbath", the inspiration for it.

I am a man of faith. As a Jew and a Christian (I became a Christian before I converted to Judaism, while I remain a Christian even so) I observe the Sabbath as one of the commandments of God.

Wick Stick

This thread also serves as my response to the thread "How important is the Sabbath", the inspiration for it.

I am a man of faith. As a Jew and a Christian (I became a Christian before I converted to Judaism, while I remain a Christian even so) I observe the Sabbath as one of the commandments of God.
But, do you observe it according to a traditional Jewish interpretation, or a Christian one? They are very different. Or, some other way?

The traditional Jewish instructions re: the Sabbath are very rigorous, allowing only for a certain number of steps to be taken, and providing exacting legal definitions of exactly what does/doesn't constitute prohibited work.

By contrast, Jesus interprets the Sabbath commandment according to the principle that "the sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath." That is to say, the Sabbath commandment was primarily intended as a labor reform, granting workers at least 1 day a week of rest. Keeping this particular law with vigor and zeal would seem to negate this original purpose, don't you think?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
But, do you observe it according to a traditional Jewish interpretation, or a Christian one? They are very different. Or, some other way?

The traditional Jewish instructions re: the Sabbath are very rigorous, allowing only for a certain number of steps to be taken, and providing exacting legal definitions of exactly what does/doesn't constitute prohibited work.

By contrast, Jesus interprets the Sabbath commandment according to the principle that "the sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath." That is to say, the Sabbath commandment was primarily intended as a labor reform, granting workers at least 1 day a week of rest. Keeping this particular law with vigor and zeal would seem to negate this original purpose, don't you think?
The Sabbath commandment is Jewish.

As a Jew and a Christian I accept all of the Bible. The New Testament or the Apostle's Writings, as with the early church, was entirely Jewish.

You are right that the Sabbath was made for man and not man for the Sabbath.

It was not reform though, in or by any way I can think of it.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER

Christ spoke the provisions of his covenant with all of Israel, not just Judah.

Christ gave the ordinances for all of Israel through a Levite.

Judaism became the religion of the Judeans after the return from Babylon.

Judaism is basically a man's religion.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Christ spoke the provisions of his covenant with all of Israel, not just Judah.

Christ gave the ordinances for all of Israel through a Levite.

Judaism became the religion of the Judeans after the return from Babylon.

Judaism is basically a man's religion.
The new covenant was made with the house of Israel and the house of Judah. God promised the new covenant, and it came in Jesus.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
The new covenant was made with the house of Israel and the house of Judah. God promised the new covenant, and it came in Jesus.

What was in the ark of the covenant? Would it be the covenant?

:duh:

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
What was in the ark of the covenant? Would it be the covenant?

:duh:
Of course God made a covenant with the nation of Israel at Mount Sinai. The Ten Commandments are the covenant, yes. And there is more. Are you a part of this covenant? The new covenant is with the house of Israel and the house of Judah.

It is possible for you to become a Jew if you are not already a Jew. God has blessed His covenant people. I count myself among Israel, and as a Jew or a Levite, I observe Torah which is the covenant, and I also understand that the new covenant has already come, in Yeshua. This is for the house of Israel and the house of Judah. It is God's law written on hearts and minds.

The new covenant is not like the old, which the people broke although God was a husband to them (God Himself has said this). But it is God's law written on hearts and minds.

Wick Stick

As a Jew and a Christian I accept all of the Bible. The New Testament or the Apostle's Writings, as with the early church, was entirely Jewish.

You are right that the Sabbath was made for man and not man for the Sabbath.

It was not reform though, in or by any way I can think of it.
What do you make of Jesus and his disciples plucking and eating corn on their way through a field on the Sabbath, then? Matthew 12:1-8

I certainly read it as a reform of Sabbath law, doing away with some of the more stringent interpretations of the commandment.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
What do you make of Jesus and his disciples plucking and eating corn on their way through a field on the Sabbath, then? Matthew 12:1-8

I certainly read it as a reform of Sabbath law, doing away with some of the more stringent interpretations of the commandment.
Yeshua used this situation or circumstance as an opportunity to teach. I firmly believe that He (Jesus) observed and taught the Law. I don't see what He taught as reform. Also, He taught the way of God in truth.

Wick Stick

Yeshua used this situation or circumstance as an opportunity to teach. I firmly believe that He (Jesus) observed and taught the Law. I don't see what He taught as reform. Also, He taught the way of God in truth.
Observed. Yes.
Taught. Definitely.

If you do not see reform, then I don't know what to tell you. Open your eyes!

Jesus core teachings included:

(1) an abrogation of the vast and unwieldy body of case law (much of Oral Law) that had been added to Torah, in favor of a system in which the Torah was followed according to intent ("in spirit").

(2) The elevation of the Rabbi and the obsolence of the corrupt priesthood.

(3) A dereliction of patriarchal genealogies for the purpose of establishing Jewish blood, (being replaced by a system of judging on merit as regards Torah observance).

(4) The abrogation of the perpetual sacrificial system, in favor of a once-for-all sacrifice.

If you know Jewish history, then you should know that He was not alone in most of these positions. 1 & 2 were also advocated by the Essenes and some of the smaller sects. Perpetual vs once-for-all was already a debate for the rabbis.

And, Judaism actually had reforms in many of these areas. The rabbi did ascend, at the expense of the priest. The method of determining Jewish heredity was reformed, just not in the way Jesus proposed. The unwieldy body of contradictory case law was sorted out, through the addition of diacritical marks to the Tanach, which removed ambiguity from it.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Observed. Yes.
Taught. Definitely.

If you do not see reform, then I don't know what to tell you. Open your eyes!

Jesus core teachings included:

(1) an abrogation of the vast and unwieldy body of case law (much of Oral Law) that had been added to Torah, in favor of a system in which the Torah was followed according to intent ("in spirit").

(2) The elevation of the Rabbi and the obsolence of the corrupt priesthood.

(3) A dereliction of patriarchal genealogies for the purpose of establishing Jewish blood, (being replaced by a system of judging on merit as regards Torah observance).

(4) The abrogation of the perpetual sacrificial system, in favor of a once-for-all sacrifice.

If you know Jewish history, then you should know that He was not alone in most of these positions. 1 & 2 were also advocated by the Essenes and some of the smaller sects. Perpetual vs once-for-all was already a debate for the rabbis.

And, Judaism actually had reforms in many of these areas. The rabbi did ascend, at the expense of the priest. The method of determining Jewish heredity was reformed, just not in the way Jesus proposed. The unwieldy body of contradictory case law was sorted out, through the addition of diacritical marks to the Tanach, which removed ambiguity from it.
Something is wrong with what you are saying. I urge you to reconsider.

There is nothing wrong with anything Jesus taught, and He did not come to abolish the Law or the Prophets, but to fulfill.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
I don't know what you are talking about. Please explain. What temporary covenant? I can't think of one.

Galatians 3:19 What purpose then does the law serve? It was added because of transgressions till the Seed should come to whom the promise was made...​

Wick Stick

There is nothing wrong with anything Jesus taught, and He did not come to abolish the Law or the Prophets, but to fulfill.
I didn't say there was anything wrong with what He taught.

Nor did I say he abolished any of the Law or Prophets. Unless, I suppose, you are counting the 4th-1st century BCE commentaries on the Law as being part of the Law. But they aren't. Those Jesus abolished, proposing multiple simplifications to the then-extant practice of Judaism.

Several of those reforms actually were adopted into Judaism. Several other areas where Jesus proposed reform were also reformed, but in different ways than He suggested.

I think you need to read a little more of history.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I didn't say there was anything wrong with what He taught.

Nor did I say he abolished any of the Law or Prophets. Unless, I suppose, you are counting the 4th-1st century BCE commentaries on the Law as being part of the Law. But they aren't. Those Jesus abolished, proposing multiple simplifications to the then-extant practice of Judaism.

Several of those reforms actually were adopted into Judaism. Several other areas where Jesus proposed reform were also reformed, but in different ways than He suggested.

I think you need to read a little more of history.
Do you understand Jesus to be your Lord and Savior? He ought to be if He is not already. It is only in Him that we have salvation. See Acts 4:12 NASB.

The Law was neither reformed nor abolished.

There are commands, commandments of God and laws, found in the Torah, the Law.

Do you follow, observe, keep, God's law?

The Ten Commandments are referred to as the covenant. There is more God had Moses write down, and the Torah, the Law, is attributed to Moses. Just what is the Law of Moses?