The Religious Mind

Robert Pate

Banned
Jesus said, "The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat" Matthew 23:2.

The religious mind is preoccupied with laws, rules and commandments. Some of the Pharisees tithed down to the mint in their gardens, Matthew 23:23. I suppose they did this to show others how committed they were. I have found that the religious mind is also a proud mind. The Pharisees separated themselves from the ordinary common Jew by the way that they dressed. They enjoyed standing on the street corners with their long robes while making long rambling prayers so that all could see and hear, Matthew 23:5. Which doesn't say much for public prayer.

Religion is always showy and demonstrative. A good example is the two men that went up to the temple to pray, Luke 18:10. One was a publican the other was a Pharisee. The Pharisee stood up and prayed, "Thank God that I am not like other men, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican. I fast twice a week and give tithes of all that I possess. The Publican standing afar off, would not lift up his eyes unto heaven, but smote his chest and said, God be merciful to me a sinner". Jesus said that the publican was justified and the Pharisee was not.

Jesus said beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and the Sadducees, Matthew 16:11. Leaven represents the corruption and evil of religion. The religious minds believe that they can please God by their works and piety. Laws, rules, commandments, works, are the main preoccupation of the religious mind. This is why many religious people are not able to learn the Gospel of Jesus Christ. The Gospel is about Jesus Christ. They could care less about what Jesus Christ has done, they are more concerned about what they have done.

The Pharisees thought that they were God's special chosen ones. After all, were they not the keepers of his law? It was God's plan that the Jewish people were to be the oratoraters and keepers of the Gospel. Maybe someday, but not then. Calvinist also believe that they are God's special chosen ones. Jesus referred to these Pharisees as hypocrites, snakes, sons of hell, blind guides, fools, etc. Were they not religious? Were they not teachers of the law, much like Jesus? Yet, Jesus condemned them. Every Christian should read the 23rd chapter of Matthew so that they can understand the relationship between Jesus and the Pharisees.

JonahofAkron

Interesting that you left out these verses of Matthew 23. 3 All things therefore whatever they tell you to observe, observe and do, but don’t do their works; for they say, and don’t do.
4 For they bind heavy burdens that are grievous to be borne, and lay them on men’s shoulders; but they themselves will not lift a finger to help them

Sent from my SM-N910T using TheologyOnline mobile app

Robert Pate

Banned
Interesting that you left out these verses of Matthew 23. 3 All things therefore whatever they tell you to observe, observe and do, but don’t do their works; for they say, and don’t do.
4 For they bind heavy burdens that are grievous to be borne, and lay them on men’s shoulders; but they themselves will not lift a finger to help them

I probably should have, but for the sake of trying to keep it short I left it out.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Leaven represents the corruption and evil of religion.

Leaven represents the corruption and evil of false religion.

And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ till we all come to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God to a perfect man, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ. (Ephesians 4:11-13)​

The function of these men and women is to promote unity of the faith and the knowledge of Jesus Christ.

Bradley D

The Pharisees thought they can earn their way into heaven. They also added the oral tradition of further adding to the commandments and placing a greater burden on the people.

TulipBee

BANNED
Banned

He leaves God out

Robert Pate

Banned
The religious mind is usually the self righteous mind. The Pharisees thought that that because they kept the law that they were without sin. Jesus thought otherwise. When Jesus called them hypocrites, snakes, fools, etc. They were shocked, no one had ever talked like that to them before. Most of the Jewish community looked up to them, but Jesus saw right thru them for what they really were. Outwardly they appeared to be righteous but within they were full of sin and hypocrisy, Matthew 23:28.

JonahofAkron

The religious mind is usually the self righteous mind. The Pharisees thought that that because they kept the law that they were without sin. Jesus thought otherwise. When Jesus called them hypocrites, snakes, fools, etc. They were shocked, no one had ever talked like that to them before. Most of the Jewish community looked up to them, but Jesus saw right thru them for what they really were. Outwardly they appeared to be righteous but within they were full of sin and hypocrisy, Matthew 23:28.

The problem here is that Messiah knew they were not righteous because they didn't keep all of the commands. It wasn't because they kept them and didn't believe-they didn't even keep them all! The shocking thing here is that you don't even know what sin is.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
The religious mind is preoccupied with laws, rules and commandments.

Did Jesus comply with laws, rules and commandments?

If so Paul said, "Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 2:5)

Epoisses

Did Jesus comply with laws, rules and commandments?

If so Paul said, "Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 2:5)

The example of Jesus was primarily old covenant where he fulfilled all the types and shadows of the law. Christians are required to live by faith which you don't do.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The Lord Jesus Christ demanded that the Israelites follow the law of Moses. They were to be set apart. That good news is set apart from our good news, where we are saved apart from the law of Moses. There is a distinction and one should not muddle the glass.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
The example of Jesus was primarily old covenant where he fulfilled all the types and shadows of the law.

When you say old covenant are you referring to God's covenant with his firstborn son? Or are you referring to the older covenant God made with Abraham?

Epoisses

When you say old covenant are you referring to God's covenant with his firstborn son? Or are you referring to the older covenant God made with Abraham?

The old covenant is the one thru Moses which is no longer binding and is a constant thorn in the side of the gospel.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned

ONLY BEGOTTEN - not firstborn son. Jesus is the firstborn of all creation.

Colossians 1:15-16 KJV -