The Mystical Magic of Building Roads: Gov't didn't invent it.

Daniel1769

Never disputed that private engineering firms were involved but, if you believe that the government builds anything without exacting standards, and complete oversight over the engineering being proposed you would be dead wrong. The government has engineers of their own that either approve or disapprove any plans for public works projects, defense articles, just about anything that is under contract. So, in the sense that private firms contracted to the government engineered or built a road yes but, that private firms put forth the money or had any final say in how anything the government builds gets done...never. It is always American ingenuity that builds things whether they are pulling a government check or a private one but, even the private check is paid with government funds, ie. the peoples money.

You've apparently never worked with the government on these projects. I have. That's not how it works. Sometimes they want to approve everything, sometimes they don't care what happens. And their engineers aren't better than the private sector ones.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
You've apparently never worked with the government on these projects. I have. That's not how it works.

That is exactly how it works, I work for a private contractor to the government right now, and have for years and I know exactly how the government operates when they are the prime contractor. When they pay the bills they have the last say, they want accounting for every penny spent, they have oversight through the entire process... It is called "government accountability".

Sometimes they want to approve everything, sometimes they don't care what happens. And their engineers aren't better than the private sector ones.

Who is paying someones paycheck does not change the qualifications of the individual, I never said one was better than another in fact I would say they are equal. Your argument is nonsense, and do you have a point to it? what is your final assertion? Give me the end game...

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
followed a state plow on my way in this morning - i was happy to be stuck behind him for ten minutes, going 30 mph - i had been sliding all over the place before he got in front of me

made the ride home night before last going about 25 most of the way - minus nine degrees up here

and thems fahrenheit degrees, not those sissy canadian metric degrees! :banana:

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
The government wasn't supposed to do anything except distribute and enforce the Constitution.
It was intended to be more of a machine that didn't become so involved with society as it does now.

Building roads, or making the roads possible is a constitutional matter, it is called "Promoting The General Welfare" for commerce to take place, and given that having roads & highways are a strategic military advantage if we were attacked as well, that would come under "Providing For The Common Defense". This whole argument that the government is out of bounds when it supplies for the good of the citizenry is hogwash. There are many points where the federal government is out of bounds but, funding the infrastructure we all enjoy is not one of them, it is one of the legitimate things the government does actually.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
Building roads, or making the roads possible is a constitutional matter, it is called "Promoting The General Welfare" for commerce to take place, and given that having roads & highways are a strategic military advantage if we were attacked as well, that would come under "Providing For The Common Defense". This whole argument that the government is out of bounds when it supplies for the good of the citizenry is hogwash. There are many points where the federal government is out of bounds but, funding the infrastructure we all enjoy is not one of them, it is one of the legitimate things the government does actually.

I never said otherwise. I stated 'distribute', as in, they distribute the money to generate the labor.
The problem is when the government starts to give advantage to certain interests and conflicting others.

That's why Trump is the perfect president right now. He's going to lay down a lot of much needed middle ground for this country.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
I never said otherwise. I stated 'distribute', as in, they distribute the money to generate the labor.
The problem is when the government starts to give advantage to certain interests and conflicting others.
That's why Trump is the perfect president right now. He's going to lay down a lot of much needed middle ground for this country, and actually put the interest of this country over others like a president ought to.

One can only hope that is how he will govern but, the proof is in the pudding so to speak, I want to see it, not hear about it.

ok doser

i was thinking of you just now, RM - i was just behind a bassboat on a trailer, driving through all this salt and slop - he was shrinkwrapped, but the trailer and the motor were a mess

thank goodness for pressure washers, eh?

Mocking You

followed a state plow on my way in this morning - i was happy to be stuck behind him for ten minutes, going 30 mph - i had been sliding all over the place before he got in front of me

made the ride home night before last going about 25 most of the way - minus nine degrees up here

How does the plow driver get to work?

Well?

ok doser

How does the plow driver get to work?

Well?

up here?

prolly something like this:

Flickr_-_Hugo90_-_Early_Ford_Snow_Machine.jpg