ECT The Most Misunderstood Passage in the Bible--Romans 5:12-18

Jerry Shugart

I think the tree of the knowledge of good and evil is representative of that moment when man is convicted of his sin when he eats thereof. That is the moment the conscience awakens.

Paul makes it plain that it is the "conscience" which bears witness to the law written in the hearts of men so I can only conclude that the words "knowledge of good and evil" are referring to that same law.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I think the tree of the knowledge of good and evil is representative of that moment when man is convicted of his sin when he eats thereof. That is the moment the conscience awakens. There was nothing special in the tree itself, other than it was forbidden fruit. We eat of the same tree when we first decide to choose evil over good (guilt). We eat of the tree of life when we obey the Gospel and believe. Both those trees are available to us today.

Just my thoughts, Jerry, and what makes sense to me. :)
It seems that you and Jerry's conversation can be summed up as ...... Adam did not know good from evil till after he ate of the tree of knowledge of good and evil.
As alluded to with him being naked both before and after, but it wasn't till after that he was ashamed of his nakedness.

Jerry Shugart

Keep reading. And re-read verse 12. Because of one man's actions, all are condemned. Physical death is not condemnation. Spiritual death is.

18 Therefore, as through one man’s offense judgment came to all men, resulting in condemnation, even so through one Man’s righteous act the free gift came to all men, resulting in justification of life.

I have already explained how Adam's sin of eating of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil brought judgment and condemnation to all men. Please read my OP on this thread. Now please answer a simple question for me. What kind of "death" is Paul referring to here in "bold"?:

"Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned" (Ro.5:12).​

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Aha! The focus on ... Therefore ... Good point! I believe I see your point. Some are putting the em-PHAS-sis on the wrong syl-LAB-le.

Paul explains what is going on, then he gives you a conclusion. Worker bees and some that just need to re-read it come to the wrong conclusion. So he has to say "therefore" which indicates a concluding thought to the information he gave us.

Christianity in the body of Christ is not a changed life, it is an exchanged life. The worker bees reject this. Think about it before you side with them.

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
:CRASH::nuke:

:thumb:

"Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for(because of) that(one man having sinned) all have sinned"

Can you say conjunction, function? :chuckle:

The word for as a conjunction.

CONJUNCTION
literary
because; since:
"he felt guilty, for he knew that he bore a share of responsibility for Fanny's death"

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Since you are so sure you are right about this subject please tell me what "death" is being referred to here?:

"Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned"
(Ro.5:12).​

Death is not one thing or various things, but one condition. Death is cessation of being alive, whether spiritual or physical. And this "death sentence" is the legal wages of sin. Romans 6:23; Genesis 2:15-16

Only by the power of God is spiritual life restored to those languishing on "death row" . . who are all those souls created in His image. Ephesians 2:1-5

Since spiritual death is invisible, physical death is the manifestation of its very reality. Physical death is inescapable; thus spiritual death has no remedy, other than divine pardon and resurrection.

Jesus Christ accomplished these remedies for death.

Danoh

"Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for(because of) that(one man having sinned) all have sinned"

Can you say conjunction, function? :chuckle:

The word for as a conjunction.

CONJUNCTION
literary
because; since:
"he felt guilty, for he knew that he bore a share of responsibility for Fanny's death"

Yep - by the ONE man's sin - THE sin - as by him THE death entered THE world (MEN, as in John 1's "the world knew him not").

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Maybe a Random member, or somebody who knows what he is up to can have him check out the thread. Regarding Romans 5:19. I don't think anything of it. Many is a word indicating plural. 18 tells me that all are condemned because Adam listened to his wife instead of God. And all are offered the free gift of life because of one's actions.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Paul makes it plain that it is the "conscience" which bears witness to the law written in the hearts of men so I can only conclude that the words "knowledge of good and evil" are referring to that same law.

This is not correct.

All of creation reveaks the natural, temporal laws of God. The words of God and His decrees/commands are formal, moral, and eternal Law.

Only the latter can determine guilt, pardon, justification, reconciliation, and salvation.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
It seems that you and Jerry's conversation can be summed up as ...... Adam did not know good from evil till after he ate of the tree of knowledge of good and evil.
As alluded to with him being naked both before and after, but it wasn't till after that he was ashamed of his nakedness.

Adam knew not to sin by disobeying the commands of God. Adam was warned of doing wrong and dying as a result. If Adam had not been put under the Law of God, you could come to your conclusion, but that was not the case.

glorydaz

Right. And when Adam and Eve ate of the tree, their conscience responded with guilt.