The left loses its cool

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Indeed. All families. Including those family members who are locked in cages.

rusha, meet Ladarious Keon Hobson

SERIAL-RAPIST-SENTENCED-TO-55-YEARS-BEHIND-BARS-777x437.jpg

should Ladarious' family members be spared the ordeal of seeing him behind bars?

ok doser

I think families should be out of bounds. If I was in a public place and saw a public figure with his children I'd leave them alone. I don't see the good served by it. There are more constructive ways to protest and they're better for everyone.

I suspect a lot of people are finding it amusing the conservatives who once and frequently made a point of speaking to the fragility of the left are wailing like snowflakes now over treatment that didn't so much put a hair out of place. And it is funny. But the potential isn't and it's especially ill-considered for public figures to encourage it, be they Waters in her extolling, or Trump talking about what would happen to hecklers in the day.

As a guiding principle, I'm perfectly fine with giving a public servant an earful within the letter of the law. That's constituent feedback. It comes with the job. Telling anyone, public servant or private citizen, that they aren't welcome in a public place is something else and I'm against it. And suggesting the creation of a hostile mob is never a good idea.

You say that but in the model you give you do just that, speak to legality and consequence instead of what you said you wanted. I don't like what I'm seeing out of either side these days. It's pointlessly confrontational in a way that doesn't serve argument and continues to transform the public square into something more like a boxing ring, where the point is to pummel and win, instead of serve the public interest.

thanks for your reply - i'm in the middle of a water pump, so I'm just going to respond at the moment to one point

you said "the conservatives who ... are wailing like snowflakes"

this is off my radar - not getting any of it on the CBC, BBC, NPR or local newspaper

who are these particular conservatives?

are there youtube clips of them "wailing like snowflakes"?

'cause i agree - that would be pretty funny

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
you said "the conservatives who ... are wailing like snowflakes"

this is off my radar - not getting any of it on the CBC, BBC, NPR or local newspaper

who are these particular conservatives?

are there youtube clips of them "wailing like snowflakes"?

'cause i agree - that would be pretty funny
They're wailing in the same sense those people were snowflakes. I thought you'd follow...It's all rhetorical device and exaggeration. Like when you call people retards who aren't intellectually handicapped, except it doesn't trade on people with genuine problems to attempt a point.

At any rate, it's funny. The right getting upset about non-violent protest to the point of, well, this sort of thing:

I guess you wouldn't mind being unable to sit down at a restaurant without being screamed at continually until you left???

Perhaps peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for the rest of your days is cool with you????

First, I saw the video of what happened in the restaurant. A man was reading or reciting a complaint loud enough to be heard as he was kept at a distance, peacefully. Some of those in the restaurant responded to it and some, I suppose with the fellow, joined in with chants and declarations. Eventually she chose to leave. Nothing violent was transpiring there. She was embarrassed and inconvenienced.

And the notion that this incident means that FOR THE REST OF HER DAYS she'd be relegated to eating PBJs...What, she can't order take-out? Can't get groceries but somehow can manage PBJs? :chuckle: The White House isn't serving food now?

And all of that on top of the notion that public attention and ridicule will last beyond the time it takes to deal with the issue is pretty thin stuff. Hyperbole. That's what political discourse is these days.

Last edited:

ok doser

town - dunno if you're familiar with this hoser - Canadian (Ontarian - and yes, there's a difference), clinical psychologist, college professor, lecturer, student of history, unexpected internet sensation - and inadvertently amusing, occasionally, in a typical Canadian manner:

4:11 "what I'm hoping for is a return to normative incompetence among politicans. That would be really nice.... a certain underlay of ineradicable corruption...

...I mean, how do you judge the success of an American president? Not engaging in a stupid war is a nice start..." :darwinsm:

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
:angrymob::angrymob::angrymob::angrymob::angrymob::angrymob::angrymob::angrymob:

The left loses its cool

When conservatives and the political system effectively ignore the wishes of the majority, the American public is going to find ways of making its discontent known.

When Republican members of Congress refuse to hold open meetings with their constituents, for fear of a hostile reception, the public is forced to vent its frustrations on prominent members of the Trump Administration!

:angrymob::angrymob::angrymob::angrymob::angrymob::angrymob::angrymob::angrymob:

ok doser

They're wailing in the same sense those people were snowflakes. I thought you'd follow...It's all rhetorical device and exaggeration. Like when you call people retards who aren't intellectually handicapped, except it doesn't trade on people with genuine problems to attempt a point.

At any rate, it's funny. The right getting upset about non-violent protest to the point of, well, this sort of thing:

First, I saw the video of what happened in the restaurant. A man was reading or reciting a complaint loud enough to be heard as he was kept at a distance, peacefully. Some of those in the restaurant responded to it and some, I suppose with the fellow, joined in with chants and declarations. Eventually she chose to leave. Nothing violent was transpiring there. She was embarrassed and inconvenienced.

And the notion that this incident means that FOR THE REST OF HER DAYS she'd be relegated to eating PBJs...What, she can't order take-out? Can't get groceries but somehow can manage PBJs? :chuckle: The White House isn't serving food now?

And all of that on top of the notion that public attention and ridicule will last beyond the time it takes to deal with the issue is pretty thin stuff. Hyperbole. That's what political discourse is these days.

do you find the same as amusing?

claims by foxfire, annabananahead and rusha that trump surrendered to putin: http://theologyonline.com/showthread.php?130206-Lefties-Should-We-Declare-War-On-Russia

'cause it seems to me (and others) that you're a wee bit biased, which i fully expect you to deny ad nauseum

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
do you find the same as amusing?

claims by foxfire, annabananahead and rusha that trump surrendered to putin: http://theologyonline.com/showthread.php?130206-Lefties-Should-We-Declare-War-On-Russia
How is are those two things alike?

I'd say that when you lack transparency and make the hostile alienation of different points of view a part and parcel of your rhetorical foundation you invite suspicion and hostility in return. Trump made his bed. Waters is making hers.

'cause it seems to me (and others) that you're a wee bit biased
It seems to me that I am in a few ways too. Among my biases are the context of my faith and my regard for rational and objective treatments of an issue instead of supplanting that with party line talking points, right or left. Politically, I'm more socially liberal than conservative. Not enough to put me in the liberal camp, or make me comfortable within the strictures of the Democratic party, with whom I have some strong and fundamental differences, but it is a leaning and one I've never hidden from anyone.

which i fully expect you to deny ad nauseum
Life is just full of disappointments, I suppose.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
you do realize that trump didn't really surrender to putin, right?

right? :freak:
Or you could have asked how I feel about the use of hyperbole in either case, though that usage wasn't my criticism. What I objected to was the hypocrisy of those who painted the left as hypersensitive. Given I put that plainly enough it was reasonable to ask what you saw as similar. It still is.

Because if it's just about hyperbole you might as well randomly assign most of the posts around here in pairs and make the same inquiry.

ok doser

What I objected to was the hypocrisy of those who painted the left as hypersensitive.

i suspect that 95% of the electrons wasted here are attempts to play "gotcha" in the "you're a hypocrite!" game

and the unspoken corollary to "you're a hypocrite" is "...and i'm not!"

since hypocrisy seems to be an embedded artifact of human nature, i've found it more useful to just chuckle at others as i chuckle at myself

ok doser

Where I think the lack of considering a public hypocrisy that should have been hard to miss is funny...

its nice to see you still enjoy playing the game :thumb:

...and worth noting, even if all it accomplishes is putting the brakes on a bad practice.

is that what you think you're accomplishing? :darwinsm: