The Left has become dangerously unhinged.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Theft as a legal matter rests on the foundation that when something is taken from another against their will, it is a thing they have legal title to. Because if that isn't the foundation a thief has as much complaint against the police who confiscate the property he has stolen. The law establishes what constitutes that title.

If you live here and pay taxes you are paying them willfully, participating in a system from which you derive benefits. Living in this compact is prima facie an agreement on your part to abide by the rules, to obey the law and to bear your portion of its freight. If you don't agree with the premise strongly enough you can remove yourself and are free to find another that suits you, leaving those taxes and participation behind.

A theft of small things is a tort, trespass to chattel, and often trespass to land.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
A theft of small things is a tort, trespass to chattel, and often trespass to land.
Well, a tort is an inherently civil matter aimed at compensation for a harm worked contrary to the right of the injured party. Torts are largely though not always the civil side of a criminal action, from the maliciously willful to the unintended but foreseeable. And, of course, there's vicarious liability on the part of an employer, which might not have any criminal teeth but is carried by virtue of benefit and scope.

In any event, when you live here you agree by your presence to be subject to the laws of the land. Taxation is a part of that and anyone who finds it unconscionable is free to find another land and people more to their liking.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Well, a tort is an inherently civil matter aimed at compensation for a harm worked contrary to the right of the injured party. Torts are largely though not always the civil side of a criminal action, from the maliciously willful to the unintended but foreseeable. And, of course, there's vicarious liability on the part of an employer, which might not have any criminal teeth but is carried by virtue of benefit and scope.

In any event, when you live here you agree by your presence to be subject to the laws of the land. Taxation is a part of that and anyone who finds it unconscionable is free to find another land and people more to their liking.

Oh yes, taxes , no winning there. I have had trouble with "them" and managed to pay up too much to count. Now I go through a personal accountant, a CPA.

I thought you meant someone stealing someone's underwear off a clothes line?

I did not read the whole thread, so I assumed it might be minor theft, which is a civil tort. Underwear and taxes, to different things.

You see, people are forgetting about me on TOL, poor me, boo hoo.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Yeah, but there is huge difference between you and He.
Right, because I don't tell us what to do. He does and he did and they went out and did that.

And there's no difference between what he told us to do and what I'm saying we should do about taxes, which is more important on the point if not to me, personally.

drbrumley

Not when the Father looks at me. :)

And there's no difference between what he told us to do and what I'm saying we should do about taxes, which is more important on the point if not to me, personally.

Sorry, you don't say "lest we offend"...you say "the government is your master." Big difference

But go on, you and the rest of ya can rip romans 13 to shreds as you do.

Maybe a word study on rulers will help you some day.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Sorry, you don't say "lest we offend"...you say "the government is your master." Big difference
No, I never have, but that's something you can work out with your conscience. Mine is clear on the point.

Christ said to do it. He told those under his authority to do it. You can't put me between that and obedience, much as you try.

drbrumley

No, I never have, but that's something you can work out with your conscience. Mine is clear on the point.

Christ said to do it. He told those under his authority to do it. You can't put me between that and obedience, much as you try.

Please. My conscience is clear on point as well. You imply it all the time.

drbrumley

This is the kind of BS I am talking about....

Arthur Brain

I like JR and respect him. My post goes to the fact that some of these persons might find life intolerable and would like a way out.. It is purely pragmatic. Not all have much to live for and barely making it past fifty with no family, just maybe opting out is a viable option.

Should wanting to opt out be denied by someone else s religious beliefs, as that is the reason it is denied, why not allow anyone who cannot deal with life, after a certain age, the right to opt out?

It may seem left wing but it is not, as it saves taxpayer dollars.

Oh, okay. Be interesting to see his response...

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Please. My conscience is clear on point as well. You imply it all the time.
No, I really don't.

Meanwhile and on the point, I've defended taxation as a legal proposition and as a scripturally supported one.

I wrote: In any event, when you live here you agree by your presence to be subject to the laws of the land. Taxation is a part of that and anyone who finds it unconscionable is free to find another land and people more to their liking.
This is the kind of BS I am talking about....
And this sort of declaration in lieu of reason is precisely what I'm speaking about as your problematic skewing, contextually. You appear to feel that how you want a thing to be is enough.

Nothing in that is a problematic stance morally, because I've already established scripturally that governments have authority that Christ noted and commanded his apostles to obey. Nothing about it is problematic rationally, because the laws of the land are written by that government and among those are the parameters of legal possession of a thing.

And that's that.

drbrumley

No, I really don't. If that's your take away you need a better one.

First it was the "You're not God" gambit, which should have been embarrassing enough for you, now it's the "master" business.

If that's the best you can muster you should rethink why that is.

Meanwhile and on the point, I've defended taxation as a legal proposition and as a scripturally supported one.

I wrote: In any event, when you live here you agree by your presence to be subject to the laws of the land. Taxation is a part of that and anyone who finds it unconscionable is free to find another land and people more to their liking.

And this sort of declaration in lieu of reason is precisely what I'm speaking about as your problematic skewing, contextually. You appear to feel that how you want a thing to be is enough.

Nothing in that is a problematic stance morally, because I've already established scripturally that governments have authority that Christ noted and commanded his apostles to obey. Nothing about it is problematic rationally, because the laws of the land are written by that government and among those are the parameters of legal possession of a thing. I even set out an example of the rational necessity in the example of a thief laying claim.

Of course, you didn't address argument in your rush to substituting personal ire.

So many words, waxed eloquent and you think you have proven a point! Nonsense.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Ain't it so! I have to pay more than double for medicare, and then all my SS is taxable, because I am in such a high tax bracket,, even though I do not even have a job. So we live by rob the wealthy in this society. I wish I was born 50 years earlier, yes, that would have been the days. Born a bell of the 1840s, how sweet, oh, no, that is 100 years ago, outdoor toilets, not for me, so I mean 1890s. the gay 90s but no gays. Now were cooking with gas!