Status
Not open for further replies.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
The Hudson River Landing was not a Miracle

This is the show from Thursday January 15th, 2009.

SUMMARY:

* US Airways Plane Lands in Water: Christians often confuse superstition with spiritual maturity. God does not crash cars and planes in order to show how loving He is by saving some of the passengers. God is not a Bible version of the pagan Zeus who hit people with lightning bolts, for if that were true, the evidence is that lightning rods have ruined that kind of divine aim. And if a sailor came down with scurvy as punishment for his wayward life, then the vitamin C in a lime now prevents divine retribution. God did not crash Flight 1549 because the woman in 23A needed to learn to trust. And if the rare successful water landing were a miracle, then the well-deserved praise of pilot Sully Sullenberger is misguided. When God physically intervened, like by parting the Red Sea, restoring sight to the blind, and raising of Lazarus after four days of death, even unbelievers acknowledged the miracles. Today, alleged miracles are claimed by true believers only. Drunk drivers often survive while killing innocent young victims, and research would show that Christian passengers have no greater survival rate than atheists in plane crashes. If a plane came straight down from the height of Flight 1549 and was demolished, and the passengers survived, that would be a miracle. [Sad Update: Seven months later, a plane did fall straight into the Hudson: no survivors.] God can do miracles, but the "miracles" flippantly claimed by so many discredit the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

* Miracles and Flat Tires: From Bob Enyart's article, Miracle Dynamics: Notice that Christians who pray for God to miraculously fix their cars only pray for repairs they cannot see with their eyes. If a car does not start, some believers will ask God to fix it rather than asking Him for wisdom in the situation. However, believers never ever pray for a repair of something visibly wrong with the car. For example, Christians never pray and ask God to supernaturally fix a flat tire. Why? If a knob is broken off or a windshield is busted out, Christians do not ask God to fix those things. Why? Because they know, deep within, even if they have a hard time admitting it, that God will not fix those things no matter how much faith they have. However, a mechanical problem that they cannot see presents a blind faith opportunity to deceive themselves. The uncertainty that goes with hidden problems leaves enough chance that the car just might start on the next attempt (as cars so often do). So, Christians claim a miracle when the car starts on the next try.

* Enyart's Debate with D. James Kennedy's Professor: Bob Enyart had a ten-round moderated debate with Dr. Samuel Lamerson, a professor of the New Testament from D. James Kennedy's Knox Theological Seminary. From round three:

My dear friend, Brian Rohrbough, whose son Danny was murdered at Columbine High School by Harris and Klebold, wants to send this message in response to Sam's worry that if God was not in total control, he might lead us to marry someone who will murder our children:

Dr. Lamerson, I received a letter from Barbara Martin of Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. She wrote, "Our family faced this grim reality too when our grandchildren were murdered by their mother, Susan Smith... Many people blame God, but the Bible blames the devil (Hebrews 2:12)."

Mrs. Martin is correct when we realize that the devil represents all those in rebellion against God (John 8:44), but millions of Calvinists believe that God ordained every rape and murder, and the criminals do exactly what God predestined them to do, without any ability to do otherwise. Dr. Lamerson, you wrote that if God was not in complete control, then perhaps "the spouse that he leads me to marry may be the wrong one who will murder my children." But your Calvinist God supposedly did that already to David Smith. Sam, you believe that every mother who murders her child does so by God's decree. Aren't you betraying your own Calvinist belief to suggest that somehow your children should be specially protected?

After Columbine, many Christians publicly said God must have had a good reason, to have Danny and the others murdered. Jesus Himself rejected this "blame God attitude." Consider the importance of a report this week of an archaeological find of the discovery of the Pool of Siloam in Jerusalem. Perhaps you remember the tower near there. It fell over and killed eighteen people. And Jesus responded to the Greek superstition of that day, like Calvinism today, when people foolishly look for the will of God in murders, rapes, and tragedies of negligence, by saying:

"Those eighteen on whom the tower in Siloam fell and killed them, do you think that they were worse sinners than all other men who dwelt in Jerusalem? I tell you, no! ..." -Jesus, Luke 13:4-5​

And for those who were looking for an interpretation of the deaths of the Galileans who were murdered by Pilate, Jesus found their superstition useless too:

"Do you suppose that these Galileans were worse sinners than all other Galileans, because they suffered such things? I tell you, no!" -Jesus, Luke 13:2-3​

Here Jesus rejected the most obvious of the absurd "interpretations," that bad things happened to people because God was directly punishing them. Since Luke recorded Christ's rebuke, Calvinists today have to get around it. So they're more "creative." You assume that if God is not punishing the victims, then He's obviously achieving some other worthwhile goal -perhaps punishing their loved ones. Or maybe He just decided that this would be the best way for the victims to go, even for the ones He preordained to eternal torment. If today Jesus were at that Pool of Siloam and someone asked Him about Calvinism, I believe that He would respond by saying the answer has not changed with the passage of time.

When we consider that God has used a Flood, and kings to bring judgment against whole populations, that was by His direct decree. God has the authority to do that. However, God didn't give authority to individuals to murder others, and would never authorize the murder of two children by their mother - who hoped to save an adulterous affair. When you attribute my son's murder to the plan and glory of God, you have sacrificed the righteousness of God for humanism.

Sincerely, -Brian Rohrbough​

Thank you Brian. (And here's a link to the archaeological finding of the Pool of Siloam.)

So Dr. Lamerson, one of your fears of the Open View [that is, of the future being open and not eternally settled] is that by accident great cruelty might happen; but that is exactly what you say that God does every day, intentionally. We believe the reason that so many Christians so frequently contradict themselves is because their theology, which long ago sacrificed goodness for immutability, claims that both wickedness and goodness flow from the mind of God. That ultimate contradiction leads to a lifelong chain of contradictions, especially between what many Christians believe, and how they live their lives. (By the way, you can order a printed copy of Bob's debate, Is the Future Settled or Open? or read it online!)​

Post-show note:

* BEL Indiana Seminars:
Bob Enyart is coming to Indiana, Goshen in the evening of Jan. 29th and Indianapolis on Saturday January 31st, to present a brand new BEL Seminar titled Hermeneutics: Tools for Studying the Bible. Learn how to use tools of interpretation as you study the Bible. And as importantly, Bob will discuss the principles involved for prioritizing these hermeneutics and how to decide which tool to use in which instance. You'll love it! Click for more info and to register please call 1-800-8Enyart!

Today's Resource: Watch Bob Enyart's fascinating Open Theism seminar on DVD! Is the future settled or open? Is God free? Is God creative? Is God able to write a new song? Of course God is, free, creative, and able to write a new song. But how do these simple truths relate to the philosophical claim that the future is settled? This Open Theism seminar on DVD will educate and delight you or your money back! Just click on the title, or browse the Video Department in the KGOV store, or call us to order at 1-800-8Enyart (836-9278), or send a check for $42.50 (or with this difficult financial crisis we're all living through, send whatever your comfortable spending on this 3-DVD set) to: Bob Enyart Live, PO Box 583, Arvada CO 80001. Also available: Bob's Predestination and Free Will seminar on CD, Bob Debates Calvinism DVD, and Bob's 10-round debate with a D. James Kennedy seminary professor titled Is the Future Settled or Open? also fully available online!

Last edited by a moderator:

SaulToPaul 2

God can do miracles, but the "miracles" flippantly claimed by so many discredit the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

I don't believe this landing was a miracle, but if I did, how would it discredit the gospel of Christ?

1 Cor 15
1: Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;
2: By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.
3: For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
4: And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Bob Enyart

Deceased
Staff member
Administrator
STP: thanks for asking...

STP: thanks for asking...

SaulToPaul,

When a Christian (or even an unbeliever) misrepresents God, that misrepresentation can become an unnecessary stumbling block to others who are being evangelized. Jesus Christ is the stumbling stone and the Rock of Offense. If an unbeliever resists the Gospel and consciously or not attributes his rejection to my sin, or my error, of course, he is making an excuse for his true reason (his rebellion against God), but sadly I have become a factor and an influence for harm if I misrepresent God. When I do that, I give others an excuse to distrust the Gospel.

-Pastor Bob Enyart
Denver Bible Church & KGOV.com

Agape4Robin

SaulToPaul,

When a Christian (or even an unbeliever) misrepresents God, that misrepresentation can become an unnecessary stumbling block to others who are being evangelized. Jesus Christ is the stumbling stone and the Rock of Offense. If an unbeliever resists the Gospel and consciously or not attributes his rejection to my sin, or my error, of course, he is making an excuse for his true reason (his rebellion against God), but sadly I have become a factor and an influence for harm if I misrepresent God. When I do that, I give others an excuse to distrust the Gospel.

-Pastor Bob Enyart

Which (as you know) never happens here.;)

SaulToPaul 2

You're welcome!

You're welcome!

SaulToPaul,

-Pastor Bob Enyart

The power is in the preaching of the cross, not the messenger :)

1 Cor 1
18: For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.
19: For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.
20: Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?
21: For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.
22: For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom:
23: But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;
24: But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I agree misrepresenting God does hurt spreading the truth. But God did say as STP is pointing out.

Walk in, tell them the truth. If they reject it, shake your sandals and leave.

SaulToPaul 2

I agree misrepresenting God does hurt spreading the truth. But God did say as STP is pointing out.

Walk in, tell them the truth. If they reject it, shake your sandals and leave.

Yeah, I don't think any of us has "arrived" and has 100% innerant theology. I'm sure we all, unwittingly, misrepresent God in some way. But, the gospel is not bound. Praise the Lord!

DBCReviewer

Hey,

Thanks for this. Yes, yes yes... I'd like to comment on these couple of things.

1. "However, believers never ever pray for a repair of something visibly wrong with the car."

2. "Example, Christians never pray and ask God to supernaturally fix a flat tire."

First, you don't know God the way that I know God or the people that have that kind of faith, evidently. So... if God gives me or them the idea to believe Him for these kinds of things (something that I can see), I will believe Him.

But you and /or the members of the Plot committee? Will you believe God if He gives you this kind of thought? Doubtful. In fact, I don't know if God would waste His time trying to convince someone who has written His creative ability out of touch with the times.

Dr. Walter Martin who you have said was a man you respected, laid the ax to your opinions about no-more-miracles (he also has a tape on it). To bad you waited until he was dead to debate the issue with him.

My two cents, DBCR...

Faith gives substance to the things hoped for...

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Hey,

Thanks for this. Yes, yes yes... I'd like to comment on these couple of things.

1. "However, believers never ever pray for a repair of something visibly wrong with the car."

2. "Example, Christians never pray and ask God to supernaturally fix a flat tire."

First, you don't know God the way that I know God or the people that have that kind of faith, evidently. So... if God gives me or them the idea to believe Him for these kinds of things (something that I can see), I will believe Him.

But you and /or the members of the Plot committee? Will you believe God if He gives you this kind of thought? Doubtful. In fact, I don't know if God would waste His time trying to convince someone who has written His creative ability out of touch with the times.

Dr. Walter Martin who you have said was a man you respected, laid the ax to your opinions about no-more-miracles (he also has a tape on it). To bad you waited until he was dead to debate the issue with him.

My two cents, DBCR...

Faith gives substance to the things hoped for...

Why did he let those on TWA 800 perish?

DBCReviewer

Nick M asked, "Why did he let those on TWA 800 perish?"

God has the right to intervene and interact with mankind as He wants. When He doesn't... I'm going to put an event like this, due to human error and or the devil's account, but not God's.

BTW, has He interacted with you lately? If not, does that prove that He will not?

Why? in the account given in John chapter 5, does it say that there were a great multitude of sick people there; and yet, only one man is reported of being healed (1-9)?

And how does faith (believing) play a part in it? I am reminded of this statement from Gods word, "Jesus did not do many mighty miracles there because of their unbelief (Jn.13:58)."

My point and concern is this, what does He ask us to acknowledge? Answer: that He is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works within us (Eph.3:20)."

Yet... what is the mindset of those who proclaim, no more miracles? Just the opposite of what the above verse states as fact.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
DBCReviewer:

From the summary of the show:
If a plane came straight down at a thousand miles an hour and was demolished, and four hundred passengers survived standing unhurt at the crash site, that would be a miracle.

A question for you DBCReviewer: Why hasn't God ever performed such an aviation miracle as described above, not even one time?

DBCReviewer

"If a plane came straight down at a thousand miles an hour and was demolished, and four hundred passengers survived standing unhurt at the crash site, that would be a miracle."

So anything less would not be a miracle?

We go from car tires to airplane crashes? I call that grasping at straws to confuse the listeners. And as I stated at the first, it would have been very interesting to hear a person like Bob and Brian R. to debate this issue with Martin.

Remember Bob says whomever controls the discussion holds the command over the audience. Martin had a greater command and the doctorates to prove it.

Jefferson asks, "A question for you DBCReviewer: Why hasn't God ever performed such an aviation miracle as described above, not even one time?"

Answer: I don't know why. But the facts are God could if He wanted to.

Now a question for you, "when was the last time that you asked God for something that people would consider to be a miracle?"

God gave His Son for us, therefore we are not going out of bounds to ask for lesser things (Rom.8:32). And He says we can ask.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Jefferson asks, "A question for you DBCReviewer: Why hasn't God ever performed such an aviation miracle as described above, not even one time?"

Answer: I don't know why. But the facts are God could if He wanted to.
He obviously doesn't want to. And He has a very good reason for it. In the Bible miracles usually produced an increased rebellion against God. Why would God want to continue a practice that usually caused rebellion against Him in the past?

Now a question for you, "when was the last time that you asked God for something that people would consider to be a miracle?"
Never. Why would I pray for something that would most likely cause increased rebellion against God?

God gave His Son for us, therefore we are not going out of bounds to ask for lesser things (Rom.8:32). And He says we can ask.
But we should ask with wisdom. It is not wise to ask for things that will likely cause people to rebel against God.

DBCReviewer

Jefferson said, "He obviously doesn't want to (save anyone from a plane crash), and He has a very good reason for it. In the Bible miracles usually produced an increased rebellion against God. Why would God want to continue a practice that usually caused rebellion against Him in the past?"

Let's quote Bob, "either be really evil or really godly, but don't be a little evil or a little godly (not verbatim)."

So here is my take on it: people have been rebelling against God without miracles for almost 5,000 years. Just as the law brought evil-ness to the surface, so did the miracles (with some). But the miracles themselves weren't the problem, they only revealed how deep the peoples deparvity was (the ones who were incited to behave even worse because of them).

And so, it is the same for us. Not until a person lives godly before unbelievers are the ungodly incited to behave worse. So should we stop living godly before them, because it causes a bad reaction? It is the same with miracles.

Listen, rather than the ungodly coasting through life thinking things are pretty good, these kinds of things (miracles) can reveal what is really in their hearts. That is why God will do them.

But secondly, for this reason also, why ignore that some people were blessed by the miracles? Can God give good gifts to His children or not? Since God is willing to leave the 99 and go after the one, it is not unreasonable to think that He would grant doing a miracle for one of His children who have been blood bought and now are the temple of His Holy Spirit (1 Cor. 6:19,20).

But believeing that He will do them... plays into it. You, Bob and others don't ask, you don't believe, so you are witnessess without any manifestation of power (Rom. 8:11), imo.

And BTW, does the Bible instruct us to focus more on the negative than the positive? There is a lot of that when I listen to the program and not enough of edification for the new creation in Christ (and I'm sure he has heard the same complaint before), and will continue to hear it.

As the apostle Paul and Martin said, "you prove nothing to me."

"Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning. Of His own will He brought us forth by the word of truth, that we might be a kind of firstfruits of His creatures (James 1:17,18)." PTL...

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
The Hudson River Landing was not a Miracle

This is the show from Thursday January 15th, 2009.

SUMMARY:

* US Airways Plane Lands in Water: Christians often confuse superstition with spiritual maturity. God does not crash cars and planes in order to show how loving He is by saving some of the passengers. God is not a Bible version of the pagan Zeus who hit people with lightning bolts, for if that were true, the evidence is that lightning rods have ruined that kind of divine aim. And if a sailor broke out with scurvy because as punishment for his wayward life, then the vitamin C in a lime now prevents divine retribution. God did not crash Flight 1549 because the woman in 23A needed to learn patience. And if the rare successful water landing were a miracle, then the well-deserved praise of pilot Sully Sullenberger is misguided.

Sounds like a good argument for atheism.
When God actually does miracles, like the parting of the Red Sea, restoring sight to the blind, and the raising of Lazarus, even unbelievers acknowledge the miracles. Today, alleged miracles are claimed by true believers only.

Sounds like a bunch of hocus-pocus mumbo jumbo.

There are no miracles.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
DBCReviewer:

Bob Enyart stated...

When God actually does miracles, like the parting of the Red Sea, restoring sight to the blind, and the raising of Lazarus, even unbelievers acknowledge the miracles. Today, alleged miracles are claimed by true believers only.

To which the agnostic Persephone66 replied...

Sounds like a bunch of hocus-pocus mumbo jumbo.

There are no miracles.
See what I mean DBCReviewer? Unbelievers in the Bible admitted to seeing miracles from God. But they don't today. Why the difference?

DBCReviewer

Hey Jefferson,

I do notice that you don't address the things that I ask or state, but we just keep going onto your new arguments? Why is that Jefferson? Are my replies un-related to the discussion, or do you not want to tackle them?

Do you think for yourself, or do you have to have a quote from Bob?

As far as this new mumbo jumbo?

The recent Hudson landing was seen by many as a miracle, except for a few people (you and some BEL listeners, etc.). It is the same today, as it was in the Bible accounts, there is nothing new under the sun, including this discussion. You are assuming that unbelievers back then (all of them), saw these things as miracles. While the truth is (probably) many did not.

So, what is this mumbo jumbo for? This is just a trail that leads the follower to a cliff, and that has no purpose whatsoever other than to distract people from the facts that God continues to do miracles regardless if they see them or not.

Another example: Doug McBurnie and Bob discuss some news articles (not to long ago), where a man admitted to putting his cell phone in his chest pocket (which was out of the ordinary for him to do), and as he worked in the feild, he was shot by a hunter in the chest. The cell phone prevented him from being killed. The reporters, along with the man, all called it a miracle, but Doug and Bob? What did they say?

There take on it was, God couldn't have given that man the thought to put his cell phone in there.

So while others point their minds to God (not all, but some), thankful in the event (some of them), we have Bob and Doug saying you are all mis-guided.

All... except for us, and a few others, like Persephone66.

Maybe you and Bob should have this discussion with Chuck Missler since Chuck saw firsthand some of the things that Martin reports, which destroys all arguments.

"We have this treasure in earthen vessels (the Holy Spirit), that the excellence of the power may be of God and not of us (2 Cor.4:7)." PTL...

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Jefferson said, "He obviously doesn't want to (save anyone from a plane crash), and He has a very good reason for it. In the Bible miracles usually produced an increased rebellion against God. Why would God want to continue a practice that usually caused rebellion against Him in the past?"

Let's quote Bob, "either be really evil or really godly, but don't be a little evil or a little godly (not verbatim)."

So here is my take on it: people have been rebelling against God without miracles for almost 5,000 years. Just as the law brought evil-ness to the surface, so did the miracles (with some). But the miracles themselves weren't the problem, they only revealed how deep the peoples deparvity was (the ones who were incited to behave even worse because of them).

And so, it is the same for us. Not until a person lives godly before unbelievers are the ungodly incited to behave worse. So should we stop living godly before them, because it causes a bad reaction? It is the same with miracles.
Paul disagrees with your view that godly behavior incites unbelievers to behave worse in Philemon 1:6 - "that the sharing of your faith may become effective by the acknowledgment of every good thing which is in you in Christ Jesus."

Listen, rather than the ungodly coasting through life thinking things are pretty good, these kinds of things (miracles) can reveal what is really in their hearts.
Except that they didn't in the Bible which is one reason why God ceased them.
That is why God will do them.
Except that He doesn't. You yourself could not give an example of an airplane disintegrating upon impact with all the passengers surviving.

But secondly, for this reason also, why ignore that some people were blessed by the miracles? Can God give good gifts to His children or not? Since God is willing to leave the 99 and go after the one, it is not unreasonable to think that He would grant doing a miracle for one of His children who have been blood bought and now are the temple of His Holy Spirit (1 Cor. 6:19,20).
Why did God not heal Trophimus in Second Timothy 4:20?

But believeing that He will do them... plays into it. You, Bob and others don't ask, you don't believe, so you are witnessess without any manifestation of power (Rom. 8:11), imo.
Let's look at what Paul says about "power" in his epistles. I don't think you're going to like it. Look at Colossians 1:9-11 - "For this reason we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to ask that you may be filled with the knowledge of His will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding; that you may walk worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing [Him], being fruitful in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God; strengthened with all might, according to His glorious power,..."

Now, what is all this might and power that we have been strengthened by going to produce in us? Is it miracles? Is it signs and wonders? Read on...

"...for all patience and longsuffering with joy;"

What a let down, huh DBCReviewer? Here was Paul's perfect opportunity to teach how might and power in the Christian life produces miracles and he blew it!

Do you think for yourself, or do you have to have a quote from Bob?
Few people have debated Bob Enyart on more topics than I have. In fact, Bob knows that if I lived in Denver I would not be a member of his church.

As far as this new mumbo jumbo?

The recent Hudson landing was seen by many as a miracle, except for a few people (you and some BEL listeners, etc.). It is the same today, as it was in the Bible accounts, there is nothing new under the sun, including this discussion. You are assuming that unbelievers back then (all of them), saw these things as miracles. While the truth is (probably) many did not.
Some did not see them as miracles but most did because they were undeniable, unlike the so-called "miracles" hucksters on TV perform today.

So, what is this mumbo jumbo for? This is just a trail that leads the follower to a cliff, and that has no purpose whatsoever other than to distract people from the facts that God continues to do miracles regardless if they see them or not.

Another example: Doug McBurnie and Bob discuss some news articles (not to long ago), where a man admitted to putting his cell phone in his chest pocket (which was out of the ordinary for him to do), and as he worked in the feild, he was shot by a hunter in the chest. The cell phone prevented him from being killed. The reporters, along with the man, all called it a miracle
No, the reporter quoted the man. It was not the reporter's opinion. And the word "miracle" is often loosely used such as, "The player threw the basketball from one end of the court to the other as time expired and it went in. It was a miracle!" They aren't actually saying they believe God came down out of heaven and guided the basketball into the hoop. It was probably the same type of usage with that man and his cell phone.

Look DBCReviewer, here's my take on miracles. When you look at the frequency of miracles in the Bible after Paul's conversion the drop-off is absolutely dramatic.

Coincidence?

Paul, however, did pray for God to remove his "thorn in the flesh" which many Bible scholars believe was a problem with his eyesight. Therefore Paul prayed for a miracle. Therefore it is legitimate for us to pray for miracles also. But notice again that God did not give Paul his miraculous healing. Why not? Notice the timing of Paul's request. It was after his conversion. God also did not heal Trophimus. Why not? Notice the timing. It was after Paul's conversion.

Coincidence?

So my view on praying for miracles is that since Paul prayed for one it is legitimate for us to but we have to realize the dispensation of miracles is over. God probably does miracles today but on very rare occasions. I do what Paul did. If I get sick I take more vitamins and get plenty of rest. Oh yeah, I'll also pray for God to heal me a maximum of 3 times and then if He doesn't heal me I drop it realizing we are not in the age of "miracles on demand" today. So many Christians think we are in such an age and they become desperate to prove that belief to themselves so much so that we hear Christians call all kinds of common events "miracles" from cars traveling many miles while the gas tank shows it's empty to bullets hitting cell phones. Meanwhile unbelievers point to those Christians and mock them. And rightfully so in my opinion. Have you ever noticed that most of the time when nonchristian TV comedians want to mock Christians they usually mimic a stereotype of a typical "healing miracle" minister?

Coincidence?

DBCReviewer

This is a long and winding road! That is what Martin talked about in regards to how long this belief had been propagated by the devil and I see it continues here.

But let me continue to give an answer to these accusations (with the Lord's help and wisdom I pray).

First, the prayer and admonishment that Paul gives to Philemon has nothing to do whatsoever with people being more nasty because you live in front of them righteously. He is saying a blessing over Philemon and company, that they would be better ambassadors for Christ.

A good verse on the otherhand, would be 2 Tim.3:12 where Paul says, "all who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution."

Jefferson says (please read the context), "Except that they didn't in the Bible, which is one reason why God ceased them."

Here again we can apply Bob, who says things like this, "all dosen't mean all, it is not a literal thing (in it's fullest sense), it is just the word (if even found in the text), that the author used.

You can claim that "all" felt and reacted this way, but Martin, Missler and myself, disagree with you. Plus, you are not going to overturn what Martin saw firsthand (and Missler with him), so this should destroy all arguments, but I have a feeling
(like with Herod), it won't.

Jefferson says, "You yourself could not give an example of an airplane disintegrating upon impact with all the passengers surviving."

In the Bible, the devil asked Jesus to prove Himself by doing something specific. It is the same here. You are demanding that God do your made up scenario, so that He can prove, that He can still do it. But as James says, "you ask amiss... and do not think that you will get anything out of it."

God does not have to do anything that I ask Him. But as for me... when I do ask Him for anything... it will be because my heart is wrenching over the situation, not to prove that He is still God and can do miracles. You and Bob are experimenting with God in an evil way (imo).

So, to me, this line of reasoning reveals a heart condition that is closely related to what the devil revealed about himself in the gospels. I ask you to pray about that, but I know you will resist doing so.

Bottom line: tell me again, what good is going to come out of your belief? Example: When someone calls or comes into DBC and they ask, "will you agree with me and pray that my daughter be healed of cancer," what will you tell them again? What do you think every believer should tell them (if things were going your way)?

Here is my answer and what I heard firsthand at DBC, "We will not pray and ask God for that."

Is that an encoraging word? Is that weeping with the wounded?

Now let me say this, the things that God has done in my life, by direct request, are very small compared to cancer (thus far), but I will continue to ask and believe that God can do greater things, regardless. Yes, I will side with Martin and Missler because I have had my own miracles. And don't you or anybody else think that they can take that away or alter it, because you can't. The devil might have a hand in killing this body but he won't my Spirit and soul.

Jefferson continues, "Why did God not heal Trophimus in Second Timothy 4:20?"

I'm not God, so I don't know why. But more importantly, do you think Paul asked? Yes. You admit this later on also.

Jefferson continues, "What a let down, huh DBCReviewer? Here was Paul's perfect opportunity to teach how might and power in the Christian life produces miracles and he blew it!"

It doesn't take long to realize in this walk, that every request is not granted by God, yet this does not prove that we cannot ask or that we should not ask. Did your parent give you everything that you asked for? But let me make sure I am answering you right by you following what I am saying about power.

What is the power being talked about by Paul and what does the Holy Spirit produce in the Christian? Answer: Christ like-ness. Could that include that now you become a receiver of the power to do miracles? Yes.

Why do I think that? Because to me Corinthians is clear, "some have the gift of healings and miracles." The only let down is that you will not believe when they are reported to you, and you will propagate that others not believe or ask God for them also.

But to leave here on a positive note, you did end better than I thought you would and with much of that, I agree and do the same. But from a to z we are not in agreement. Have a good day, you are in my prayers. DBCR

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
First, the prayer and admonishment that Paul gives to Philemon has nothing to do whatsoever with people being more nasty because you live in front of them righteously. He is saying a blessing over Philemon and company, that they would be better ambassadors for Christ.

A good verse on the otherhand, would be 2 Tim.3:12 where Paul says, "all who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution."
Both verses together show that living a godly life enhances your effectiveness when you share the gospel with people but it also produces persecution from those who reject your testimony.

You are demanding that God do your made up scenario, so that He can prove, that He can still do it.
I'm not asking God to do anything of the sort. I'm simply pointing out that He doesn't.

Bottom line: tell me again, what good is going to come out of your belief?
It will produce a closer relationship with God. I can't tell you the number of Christians I have known who have become bitter at God because He didn't give them their miracle. If they had been biblically taught that we don't live in the dispensation of miracles on demand their tribulation would have produced patience leading to godliness instead of bitterness. I've seen the same thing with people who attend Charismatic denominations. When they are never able to learn how to speak in tongues they think God doesn't love them as much as the other believers or that maybe they're not even saved. It's just ridiculous. Bad theology produces a bad relationship with God.

Example: When someone calls or comes into DBC and they ask, "will you agree with me and pray that my daughter be healed of cancer," what will you tell them again?
I don't go to DBC. I don't even live in Colorado.

What do you think every believer should tell them (if things were going your way)?
Like I said before, I pray for healing but miracles are not the norm in this dispensation. They are a rarity. I would pray for healing for that person but I would also recommend the many alternative cancer cures out there, primarily a high oxygen, high fruits and vegetables diet.

What is the power being talked about by Paul and what does the Holy Spirit produce in the Christian? Answer: Christ like-ness. Could that include that now you become a receiver of the power to do miracles? Yes.
Is that what the verse says power produces? No. It says the aspect of Christ likeness that power produces in us is the aspects of patience and longsuffering. Sorry, but the verse says what it says. Paul could have added "miracles" on to that short list but he didn't. Why not?

Why do I think that? Because to me Corinthians is clear, "some have the gift of healings and miracles."
And Corinthians was written near the very beginning of the dispensation of grace before miracles started fading away. Coincidence?

Status
Not open for further replies.