• Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not sure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Exodus 20:3 "You shall have no other gods before Me.

Deuteronomy 5:7 'You shall have no other gods before Me.

Leviticus 19:34 'The stranger who resides with you shall be to you as the native among you, and you shall love him as yourself, for you were aliens in the land of Egypt; I am the LORD your God.

Deuteronomy 6:5 "You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might.

Deuteronomy 7:9 "Know therefore that the LORD your God, He is God, the faithful God, who keeps His covenant and His lovingkindness to a thousandth generation with those who love Him and keep His commandments;

Deuteronomy 10:12 "Now, Israel, what does the LORD your God require from you, but to fear the LORD your God, to walk in all His ways and love Him, and to serve the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul,

Deuteronomy 11:1 "You shall therefore love the LORD your God, and always keep His charge, His statutes, His ordinances, and His commandments.

Deuteronomy 11:13 "It shall come about, if you listen obediently to my commandments which I am commanding you today, to love the LORD your God and to serve Him with all your heart and all your soul,

Deuteronomy 11:22 "For if you are careful to keep all this commandment which I am commanding you to do, to love the LORD your God, to walk in all His ways and hold fast to Him,

Deuteronomy 13:3 you shall not listen to the words of that prophet or that dreamer of dreams; for the LORD your God is testing you to find out if you love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul.

Deuteronomy 19:9 if you carefully observe all this commandment which I command you today, to love the LORD your God, and to walk in His ways always--then you shall add three more cities for yourself, besides these three.

Deuteronomy 30:6 "Moreover the LORD your God will circumcise your heart and the heart of your descendants, to love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul, so that you may live.

Deuteronomy 30:16 in that I command you today to love the LORD your God, to walk in His ways and to keep His commandments and His statutes and His judgments, that you may live and multiply, and that the LORD your God may bless you in the land where you are entering to possess it.

Joshua 22:5 "Only be very careful to observe the commandment and the law which Moses the servant of the LORD commanded you, to love the LORD your God and walk in all His ways and keep His commandments and hold fast to Him and serve Him with all your heart and with all your soul."

Joshua 23:11 "So take diligent heed to yourselves to love the LORD your God.

Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; And what does the LORD require of you But to do justice, to love kindness, And to walk humbly with your God?

Zephaniah 3:17 "The LORD your God is in your midst, A victorious warrior. He will exult over you with joy, He will be quiet in His love, He will rejoice over you with shouts of joy.

Matthew 22:37 And He said to him, " 'YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND.'

Mark 12:30 AND YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND, AND WITH ALL YOUR STRENGTH.'

Luke 10:27 And he answered, "YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR STRENGTH, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND; AND YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF."

1 Thessalonians 1:3 constantly bearing in mind your work of faith and labor of love and steadfastness of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ in the presence of our God and Father,

2 Thessalonians 3:5 May the Lord direct your hearts into the love of God and into the steadfastness of Christ.

Last edited:

elisabeth e

I wonder if this is any more relevant than any of the other 612 commandments since Jesus has unbound us from the old covenant?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I wonder if this is any more relevant than any of the other 612 commandments since Jesus has unbound us from the old covenant?
I am sincerely taken aback by your question. I hope this best for my reply and the impact the scriptures, which I believe to be the word of God, can make upon your life.

You are correct that 613 commands have been compiled from the Torah. The Torah is the first five books of what Christians call the Old Testament, which writings are the Holy/Sacred Scriptures or simply just the Hebrew Bible.

(edit- I have verses from all Ten Commandments, and many verses come from the New Testament Writings)

Here is the passage I would like to start you off with, and if you are willing to continue I pledge my best to answer you as I am able.

2 Timothy 3:16 NASB - All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness;

2 Timothy 3:17 NASB - so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.

1 Corinthians 10:11 NASB - Now these things happened to them as an example, and they were written for our instruction, upon whom the ends of the ages have come.

elisabeth e

Then if someone were to post a poll asking who has broken the commandment not to eat dairy with meat and cited cheeseburgers as an example, would you feel mocked or would you take the poll seriously?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Then if someone were to post a poll asking who has broken the commandment not to eat dairy with meat and cited cheeseburgers as an example, would you feel mocked or would you take the poll seriously?
That is a good question. Some people live by this commandment, and others don't... from among both Jews and Christians and even no doubt Jews who are also Christian.

I would probably answer the question unless I somehow could tell that the person asking the question meant to mock by asking it.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

Christ death saved believers from the curse attached to the breaking of the commandment but no agnostic has that benefit neither those who continue to break it in defiance of what Christ says.

LA

meshak

BANNED
Banned

Ten commands are summarized in two: Love God and love your neighbor as yourself.
Jesus' teachings, commands, are all summarized in these two.

elisabeth e

Christ death saved believers from the curse attached to the breaking of the commandment but no agnostic has that benefit neither those who continue to break it in defiance of what Christ says.

LA

I feel like this is a personal attack. Is it?

If so, what is the purpose?

elisabeth e

Ten commands are summarized in two: Love God and love your neighbor as yourself.
Jesus' teachings, commands, are all summarized in these two.

I am aware.

The question is in regard to the decision by most Christians to use this summary to disregard 600 other commandments that were plainly laid out.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
John 6:44 NASB - "No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up on the last day.

John 14:6 NASB - Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
All have sinned. That is why we need Jesus, God's Son.

James 2:10 NASB - For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles in one point, he has become guilty of all.

Romans 3:23 NASB - for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,

elisabeth e

That is a good question. Some people live by this commandment, and others don't... from among both Jews and Christians and even no doubt Jews who are also Christian.

I would probably answer the question unless I somehow could tell that the person asking the question meant to mock by asking it.

I guess my first post was in regard to these less stressed commandments being relevant and what makes one commandment have priority over another.

Idolatry? That's a death sentence.

Working on a Sunday? That's just the world we live in.

It seems like the only commandments most people are willing to follow are the ones that you don't actually have to do anything in order to follow them.

Love thy neighbor? Check.

Do not wrong a stranger in speech? ...

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I guess my first post was in regard to these less stressed commandments being relevant and what makes one commandment have priority over another.

Idolatry? That's a death sentence.

Working on a Sunday? That's just the world we live in.

It seems like the only commandments most people are willing to follow are the ones that you don't actually have to do anything in order to follow them.

Love thy neighbor? Check.

Do not wrong a stranger in speech? ...
Romans 13:10 NASB - Love does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

2 Corinthians 13:7 NASB - Now we pray to God that you do no wrong; not that we ourselves may appear approved, but that you may do what is right, even though we may appear unapproved.

James 3:2 NASB - For we all stumble in many ways. If anyone does not stumble in what he says, he is a perfect man, able to bridle the whole body as well.

James 3:5 NASB - So also the tongue is a small part of the body, and yet it boasts of great things. See how great a forest is set aflame by such a small fire!

James 3:6 NASB - And the tongue is a fire, the very world of iniquity; the tongue is set among our members as that which defiles the entire body, and sets on fire the course of our life, and is set on fire by hell.

James 3:7 NASB - For every species of beasts and birds, of reptiles and creatures of the sea, is tamed and has been tamed by the human race.

James 3:8 NASB - But no one can tame the tongue; it is a restless evil and full of deadly poison.

James 3:9 NASB - With it we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in the likeness of God;

James 3:10 NASB - from the same mouth come both blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not to be this way.

James 3:11 NASB - Does a fountain send out from the same opening both fresh and bitter water?

James 3:12 NASB - Can a fig tree, my brethren, produce olives, or a vine produce figs? Nor can salt water produce fresh.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
These verses are not found in the first five books, but I have added them to the OP.

Joshua 22:5 "Only be very careful to observe the commandment and the law which Moses the servant of the LORD commanded you, to love the LORD your God and walk in all His ways and keep His commandments and hold fast to Him and serve Him with all your heart and with all your soul."

Joshua 23:11 "So take diligent heed to yourselves to love the LORD your God.

Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; And what does the LORD require of you But to do justice, to love kindness, And to walk humbly with your God?

Zephaniah 3:17 "The LORD your God is in your midst, A victorious warrior. He will exult over you with joy, He will be quiet in His love, He will rejoice over you with shouts of joy.

Matthew 22:37 And He said to him, " 'YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND.'

Mark 12:30 AND YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND, AND WITH ALL YOUR STRENGTH.'

Luke 10:27 And he answered, "YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR STRENGTH, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND; AND YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF."

1 Thessalonians 1:3 constantly bearing in mind your work of faith and labor of love and steadfastness of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ in the presence of our God and Father,

2 Thessalonians 3:5 May the Lord direct your hearts into the love of God and into the steadfastness of Christ.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Deuteronomy 11:16 NASB - "Beware that your hearts are not deceived, and that you do not turn away and serve other gods and worship them.

Deuteronomy 11:26 NASB - "See, I am setting before you today a blessing and a curse:

Deuteronomy 11:27 NASB - the blessing, if you listen to the commandments of the LORD your God, which I am commanding you today;

Deuteronomy 11:28 NASB - and the curse, if you do not listen to the commandments of the LORD your God, but turn aside from the way which I am commanding you today, by following other gods which you have not known.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
There is only one God, and we should worship Him.

Which God? The God of the Bible is the God of the Jews, and the God of the Jews is the God of the Gentiles. There really is only one God.

Worship and serve Him only.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I believe this command includes that there is only one God. It does not mean there are other gods that could compare to the one true God.

Also, saying this makes me think of... or I think of this (following or verse following this (now) here) as I wrote these two sentences, prior to this one, especially the second sentence. Found Bible verse:

Exodus 15:11 NASB - "Who is like You among the gods, O LORD? Who is like You, majestic in holiness, Awesome in praises, working wonders?