The E.R. for Endangered Words and Phrases

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
I think what's interesting are words that hang around in the lexicon even after they've become obsolete. We still use "dial" for making a phone call, even though some kids today haven't seen a rotary phone. And phones still "ring", even though phones with bells on them have become scarce as well.

older folks know what you mean when you pull up next to them and make a "roll down your window" motion

kids have no idea

and the turn signal sound? totally synthetic - it was originally produced by a electro-magnetic relay that had moving parts that produced the sound

now it's all electronic, but in order to have an auditory cue to remind you that it's on, it's produced with a speaker

fzappa13

I think what's interesting are words that hang around in the lexicon even after they've become obsolete. We still use "dial" for making a phone call, even though some kids today haven't seen a rotary phone. And phones still "ring", even though phones with bells on them have become scarce as well.

ring tone

dial tone

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
i still hear people say they're going to "tape" something even though nobody uses tape anymore

Mocking You

People will say "pump the brakes" when they mean someone should stop doing something, but with ABS braking systems nobody has actually pumped brakes on new cars for 15 years.